Well, you all wanted him gone... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Well, you all wanted him gone...

But it's not, is it?

no, it is definitely not a fact that he was "not getting the job done." it might count as a cold, hard fact on one of those ESPN spots brought to us by the good folks at Coors, but in reality, no that's not even close to fact unless the theory is that DM discovered a magic formula late one night in October.

I couldn't open the first thread for some reason, but wow, how perception of Hack has xhanged.changed

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I'm more than happy to admit that I appear to have been completely wrong on Hack. Of course, I'm also not crying about DM b/c of some halftime speech he made. We lost a good coach but it's not the end of the world. I'm not really sure there is any evidence to suggest we lost a game-changer like a Chip Kelly. I could be wrong, but I don't feel like he's irreplaceable in any way. Wish he was here, but I'm not hyperventilating b/c he's in the NFL.

I guess these threads qualify as discussion, but they are silly. Marrone will be the coach in 2012, and Marrone will be the coach in 2013.

Oops.

I'm bitter towards him for the way he left, but I'm not exactly angry that he's gone. Hopefully we can get a coach who utilizes the talent he has at his disposal.

no, it is definitely not a fact that he was "not getting the job done." it might count as a cold, hard fact on one of those ESPN spots brought to us by the good folks at Coors, but in reality, no that's not even close to fact unless the theory is that DM discovered a magic formula late one night in October.
His record spoke for itself in mid October. If you think 1-9 in his last ten, putting a team on the field that made mental errors, turnovers, and penalties was "getting the job done" then I would like to work for you someday.

Went back to look at some historical threads where we called for Marrone's head. I figure we needed some perspective on the coach we lost. I'm not saying losing DM doesn't hurt, but it isn't the end of the world either...

Dec 3, 2011: Pull the plug on Marrone now or wait until 2012?

Dec 3, 2011: Coaching Changes

Dec 3, 2011: Ok who wants to give Doug an extension?

Sep 23, 2012: I am getting sick of it

Oct 13, 2012: Hackett or Marrone on Hot Seat?

Oct 13, 2012: Scott Shafer for head coach?

Oct 13, 2012: Our next head coach

Oct 14, 2012: Doug needs 2 more years

The 2011 posts were made at after the late season collapse
The 2012 posts were made after the Minnesota and Rutgers losses

Call names don't generalize! Call them out, line them up, execute lol.

I am proud to say I dont have one post in any of those threads.

I was hoping to be able to say that also. Regrettably, I did get pulled into a thread in October 2012 in which it was suggested that HCDM be fired and Scott Shafer replace Doug as HC while Ty Wheatley replace Hackett as OC. MY response? "Never going to happen. But I've heard worse ideas."

I'm not sure I could say "Never going to happen" today.

His record spoke for itself in mid October. If you think 1-9 in his last ten, putting a team on the field that made mental errors, turnovers, and penalties was "getting the job done" then I would like to work for you someday.

Actually he was getting it done. And it was pretty apparent if you looked at more than the record.

Actually he was getting it done. And it was pretty apparent if you looked at more than the record.
Thanks for all of those details backing up your claim.

It was nerve wracking going through those threads, but I'm clean!

I never wanted Marrone gone but I admit after the Rutty loss I wanted Leob or Hunt to get more snaps and thought our chance at the Big East title was over.

hold it...wait......what......you mean all Canadians do NOT know each other ? ?
LOL
GO ORANGE !

Yep, there was a lot of frustration mid season. But were the kudos there for the way we finished?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Frustration after an eight game losing streak is perfectly understandable.
Frustration is fine. I was frustrated too but didn't want to fire the guy nor did I see any overriding flaw in his coaching. It was an uphill battle for any coach...there were to be setbacks in the road to recovery. I was happy to have him...he did some good things here. However, he never finished the job. Yes, I understand the money grab part, etc. Good for him and maybe I would have done the same thing... but still disappointed.

So because he was 1-9 in his last 10, you determined that had erased the solid first year he had and the pretty impressive second year in which he went to a bowl? That's all I'm saying -- people point to 1-9 as if it's crazy that this program lost 9 of 10, but they tend to forget that there was already a bowl appearance and a sense of stability that had been established.

So no, 1-9 is not 'getting it done', but firing a guy based solely on W/L record in a 10-game stretch is ludicrous when you're looking at a massive rebuild/remaking of a program. And I don't say this as someone who was entirely sold on DM as some sort of savior -- and I"m still not sure he's going to be that difficult to replace -- but simply as a general rule there is far more to rebuild/coaching transition than overall record. I think it was absolutely fine to criticize DM, but those who wanted him fired look absurd, IMO.

And, while we're on the topic, anyone who thought the losses early this season -- outside of Minny, which was pretty ugly -- resembled the types of teams this program had put on the field in the miserable end to the P era or the entire whitewash known as the GRob era simply don't understand this sport.

Hell, I'm so optimistic it hurts and I started one of those threads. At 2-4 I was ready to explore other options, but with DM gone to the nfl I'm not on here brutalizing him for leaving either. I think he'll be a better NFL coach than he was a college coach, and I think he ended up being a good college coach.

One good thing G-Rob left us: the 24 hour rule. It's time to see what happens next.