Went into the Lion's Den on Tuesday | Syracusefan.com

Went into the Lion's Den on Tuesday

Eric15

Living Legend
I was in Raleigh/Durham for work earlier this week and had time to kill before my flight, so I drove to the Duke campus, parked illegally, and just walked into Cameron.

95% of the basketball games I've attended in my life were in the Dome, so that just seems like the norm to me. This place is just so tiny, but you can feel the history in it.

IMG_3640.JPG

I was in Raleigh/Durham for work earlier this week and had time to kill before my flight, so I drove to the Duke campus, parked illegally, and just walked into Cameron.

95% of the basketball games I've attended in my life were in the Dome, so that just seems like the norm to me. This place is just so tiny, but you can feel the history in it.

View attachment 61557

Our 2015-16 teams victory at Cameron was a highlight of the season in my opinion. Beating Duke at Duke is HUGE.

View attachment 61557
I knew it was small but I was surprised by how small and unassuming Cameron is. It fits right in with the rest of the Collegiate Gothic architecture of the Duke campus.

Heck, even their little football stadium across the street has Gothic elements...

Almost 20 years ago, I similarly just walked into Cameron to see what it looked like in person.

I spit on the floor before I left, though.

'cute' is the word that comes to mind when I see that gymnasium.

Maybe but that HCA they get from the students right on top of the court is legit.

Sometimes bigger isn't necessarily better.

More like Amazing. Just Amazing!
God Bless Anerica!! :D

Everyone talks about rivalries. I think in terms of being in the ACC, there's really only one team that's worth beating more than every other team. There is only one rivalry as far as I am concerned. And it's not BC, Clemson, Florida State, GT, Louisville, Miami, NC State, UNC, ND, Pitt, Virginia, VT, or WF. Although beating Virginia for the first time was very satisfying.

Maybe but that HCA they get from the students right on top of the court is legit.

Sometimes bigger isn't necessarily better.

Perhaps. It hasn't seemed to bother our players much though. A lot of competitors will thrive off of it.

'cute' is the word that comes to mind when I see that gymnasium.

Cute as in a golden retriever puppy. That is how I imagine it like in the movie Water Boy.

I knew it was small but I was surprised by how small and unassuming Cameron is. It fits right in with the rest of the Collegiate Gothic architecture of the Duke campus.

Heck, even their little football stadium across the street has Gothic elements...
And the adjacent lacrosse field doesn't have a single blade of grass out of place. Not a one. It both annoyed and pleased me at the same time.

Last edited:
I can't bring myself to hate Duke. I enjoyed watching them for years before we moved to the ACC. Sure, when we play them, I want to rip their souls out. But after that, whatever. I don't care if they succeed in other games. I had so many friends do a 180 and now see red when Duke is mentioned.

I can't bring myself to hate them the same way I hate Pitt, Georgetown, UCONN, et al. God how I hate Pitt.

I can't bring myself to hate Duke. I enjoyed watching them for years before we moved to the ACC. Sure, when we play them, I want to rip their souls out. But after that, whatever. I don't care if they succeed in other games. I had so many friends do a 180 and now see red when Duke is mentioned.

I can't bring myself to hate them the same way I hate Pitt, Georgetown, UCONN, et al. God how I hate Pitt.
Fans of every team in the country say they hate Duke.
But the only rivalry that really matters for them is UNC.
And a rivalry can't go one way.

So it's ok to hate Pitt.
As long as you despise UConn.
And loathe G-town with every fiber of your being.

The old Big East is gone.
But real rivalries are forever.
When is the next G-town game?

On my bucket list to see a Cuse game in Cameron. I was hoping the novelty would start to wear off and I'd be able to get tickets through Cuse but not even close yet.

Two other tidbits:

-As I was walking back to my car, some Duke team of insanely attractive girls ran by me. I immediately thought of JarheadJim.

-Out of pure curiosity, I wanted to see the infamous Duke lacrosse house, but they actually tore it down and built a new one in the same spot. It's literally right across the street from campus.

Had the very same impression this year when my son and I attended the game at Cameron. We arrived early not knowing the parking situation and stood outside for about an hour. Got a chance to chat with few Syracuse fans, seen the team arrive and then talked for 15 minutes or so with team bus driver. Duke fans were very friendly and helpful before, during and after the game. Several Duke fans commented on how well Syracuse played, especially Roberson. The best memory of the evening was the "crazies" chanting "Take off your coat" and Jimmy opening the coat up flashing the inside lining. Huge cheer went up from the crowd. Definitely a bucket list event for me.

On my bucket list to see a Cuse game in Cameron. I was hoping the novelty would start to wear off and I'd be able to get tickets through Cuse but not even close yet.
Obie9 & I went this year and we highly recommend it. We knew that we would never be able to get tickets through SU- at least not while JB andCoach K were still coaching. We watched stub hub and tickets did go down as game got closer. Still pricey compared to other venues,but there really is no comparison to seeing SU win in Cameron. It is an experience like no other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom