Wenzel... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Wenzel...

Do people on here complain about Tim Welsh when he does games and is pro SU? Or Tirico?

IOW, I am not sure the neutrality is the complaint as much as the complaint is he wasn't rooting enough for SU. Maybe I'm wrong.

I usually don't concern myself that an announcer might be rooting for one team or another but it struck me as a little odd that in the Carrier Dome he was getting all geeked up over USF. USF? Why would a former RU coach get all excited over USF? But as LA Orange said, the cackling after a couple of USF buckets late in the shot clock was kinda weird.

They sounded like 2 bozos from Jersey (no offense to SU fans there) sitting in the stands. There was almost no love (and few compliments) for the host team, except when they were applauding USF for holding the "number 2 team in the country" to _x_ of points. They seem tickled with USF's "game plan", urging them to get back to it every time the game became watchable.

For the record, I think the gameplan was bull. It's one thing to avoid quick shots that are not in the offense, or another to sit on a lead at the end of the game. But to play stallball the entire game like a mid-major, because you're afraid you can't hang ... pitiful.

The irony is ... I think USF CAN hang. They have good athletes, good balance, excellent length and they play good defense. Let them play the game, instead of playing like puss*es.

Stan needs to grow some stones.

Wenzel sounded like a tool...

Threw more obsecenties at him last night, then I have at anyone else, refs included, in all the rest of the games...

Yeah, one of the most irritating moments for me was when he mentioned Fitzpatrick right before he hit a couple of long threes and that prolonged hahaha...hahaha...hahaha...hahaha.........:mad:

Under Wenzel, Rutgers reached the NCAA Tournament twice. The first of those appearances came in 1989, when the #13 seeded Scarlet Knights fell to Iowa in the first round. In 1991, Rutgers returned to the Big Dance as a #9 seed, but fared no better as they were defeated by Arizona State in the first round.
Wenzel also led Rutgers to two NIT appearances. The first of those (1990) saw the Scarlet Knights advance to the quarterfinals of the tournament, falling to eventual third-place finisher Penn State. Rutgers returned to the tournament two years later, but lost a close second round game to Manhattan.
The 1991-92 season marked the last time Rutgers would finish with a winning record under Wenzel. The team struggled for the next four seasons- with a move from the Atlantic 10 to the Big East in 1995 not making things any easier- and after an 11-16 finish to the 1996-97 campaign, Wenzel was fired and replaced by Kevin Bannon. He has not coached since.

'Nuff said on his "qualifications"

Under Wenzel, Rutgers reached the NCAA Tournament twice. The first of those appearances came in 1989, when the #13 seeded Scarlet Knights fell to Iowa in the first round. In 1991, Rutgers returned to the Big Dance as a #9 seed, but fared no better as they were defeated by Arizona State in the first round.
Wenzel also led Rutgers to two NIT appearances. The first of those (1990) saw the Scarlet Knights advance to the quarterfinals of the tournament, falling to eventual third-place finisher Penn State. Rutgers returned to the tournament two years later, but lost a close second round game to Manhattan.
The 1991-92 season marked the last time Rutgers would finish with a winning record under Wenzel. The team struggled for the next four seasons- with a move from the Atlantic 10 to the Big East in 1995 not making things any easier- and after an 11-16 finish to the 1996-97 campaign, Wenzel was fired and replaced by Kevin Bannon. He has not coached since.

Can't quite recall, but was '89 when they had two of our transfers, Duncan & Hughes?

How was Bill Raftery as a coach?

Can't quite recall, but was '89 when they had two of our transfers, Duncan & Hughes?

Don't know/remember. Would have to look up Rutgers' roster from that year. However, to be honest, don't really care enough about Rutgers to do that. Actually would be afraid I would get a virus as I would probably end up at Rutgers site...

How was Bill Raftery as a coach?

Coaching career
From 1970 to 1981, he was the head coach of Seton Hall University where he had a 154–141 win-loss record and led the Pirates to four ECAC post-season tournaments and two National Invitational Tournament appearances. His 154 wins as a coach places him fourth on the all-time list at Seton Hall behind Honey Russell, P.J. Carlesimo, and Frank Hill. Prior to his job at Seton Hall, he was at Fairleigh Dickinson University at Florham Park where he coached basketball (leading the team to an NIT berth) and golf, and also served as Associate Athletic Director. In 1979, he was named Coach of the Year by the New Jersey Sports Writers Association.[5]

I usually don't concern myself that an announcer might be rooting for one team or another but it struck me as a little odd that in the Carrier Dome he was getting all geeked up over USF. USF? Why would a former RU coach get all excited over USF? But as LA Orange said, the cackling after a couple of USF buckets late in the shot clock was kinda weird.
This is what I was talking about in terms of neutralty.

Don't know/remember. Would have to look up Rutgers' roster from that year. However, to be honest, don't really care enough about Rutgers to do that. Actually would be afraid I would get a virus as I would probably end up at Rutgers site...

Yeah, this side isn't as enamored with the 'girls as the football side. :)

Yeah, watching it live I was like he didn't touch it. Then they show the replay, and he's like "he touched it here" and it looked like he wasn't anywhere close to it.

Wenzel was fine for the most part; or maybe my standards are too low. the man stuff was a little annoying; we aren't going to play man, period. The fact that he may or may not have been pro USF doesn't really bother me. Every announcer we get doesn't have to be from SU or be pro SU or whatever, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I think Lunardi had 9 BE teams in his latest field. SU, Marquette, ND, Louisville, Gtown, West Virginia, Seton Hall, UConn; I think those 8 are pretty solid. And Cincy and USF are still in the mix. 9 is doable.
yea I think it will be 8, with the 8th team being one of USF/WVU/Cincy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom