We're #8! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We're #8!

Cecil Howard year?
That was the year after Morant and probably - he was the #2 QB per Lemming in the class or something crazy like that if you can believe that.

Our last 2 44's Owens, and Konrad were Parade All Americans. Fran has us at in the conversation again.
It's been a rough 29 years going back to 95. We got Johnson and Mcnabb in that class too.
Didn’t Terry Richardson fall between Owens and Konrad? And TR was pretty highly recruited too if I recall correctly.

For perspective, SU one spot ahead of Vandy
Since the opening of the transfer portal where everyone gets a free pass in 2022, you have to take the composite ranking including transfers where we are 34.
Louisville is 50+ in high school but 31 overall.
They have used the portal to completely rebuild the past 2 years.
If Fran had more time he probably would have done the same thing.
I would expect in the future less freshmen coming in and more transfers.

I think it was (is?) critical to get some decent classes as the first step. Win on the field, and coming Syracuse becomes more attractive and going up further in the rankings is possible. It creates a virtuous cycle. So the excitement about this ranking isn’t as much about this specific class, as hope that we are finally on a path which might lead to sustainable success.

Hows Stanford rated this high?

If VT or Miami signed our class its national top 10 I wouldn't get too upset about it whomever made the list was unhappy to not be putting us last.

Picture2.png

I still care more about the offer list* than the site rankings, and would argue if you do it that way we are competing with the very top of the ACC. We have also beaten our peer schools for kids that they desperately wanted or had committed.

Being in the top 10 is a incredible win for our perception. Two months ago we had kids committed who ended up going G5 and FCS.

*I can understand this is imperfect as well, but you can add context such as offers being pulled, no room at the inn, etc.

Its not only the ranking its the gap as well in talent that matters
using just the one 247 metric

2022 UNC #1 at 269 pts SU #11 at 190
2023 Miami #1 at 292 SU #14 at 185
2024 Miami #1 at 295 SU #7 at 229

The top didn't move and we jumped 40 PTS had we been at 190 again we would have been 17th. We were close to 20pts behind the next worst team last yr..

several years of that has added up in talent and depth
That’s why getting a highly regarded transfer class was so important to bolster depth. Those kids are more experienced and in several cases immediate impact whereas most freshman will be a year or two down the line.

Coaches don’t wear numbers…
Don’t tell that to baseball managers. And yes for the record I think it’s silly.

Don’t tell that to baseball managers. And yes for the record I think it’s silly.
I know, I almost mentioned them, but kept them out for brevity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom