We're a middle-of-the-pack ACC team? | Syracusefan.com

We're a middle-of-the-pack ACC team?

cto

Administrator
This link has all the ACC team and player stats through 10 games. In most team categories, we seem to be in the middle of the pack (ranked anywhere from 7th to 11th).

As far as individual stats, we don't have many on the leader boards, but Tyler and Trevor seem to be the two SU guys who stand out in a couple of categories.

The season is young ... but this is a fun site to track week-to-week (as was its counterpart Big East site last year).

http://www.theacc.com/#!/stats?sport=m-baskbl

Last edited:
This link has all the ACC team and player stats through 10 games. In most team categories, we seem to be in the middle of the pack (ranked anywhere from 7th to 11th).

As far as individual stats, we don't have many on the leader boards, but Tyler and Trevor seem to be the two SU guys who stand out in a couple of categories.

The season is young ... but this is a fun site to track week-to-week (as was its counterpart Big East site last year).

http://www.theacc.com/#!/stats?sport=m-baskbl
Interesting...we're top 3 in a pretty imp category IMO...scoring margin. Be surprised if we're not first in the conf at the end...

Five of our last six games came against major conference opponents, how many other teams can say that?

That is one big factor in our overall stats being middle of the pack.

The second is, in our first for mid-major games we played poorly and did not pad our stats.

An interesting site, thanks for the link. Regardless of any stats, Syracuse is #1 in all areas in my book!

Five of our last six games came against major conference opponents, how many other teams can say that?

That is one big factor in our overall stats being middle of the pack.

The second is, in our first for mid-major games we played poorly and did not pad our stats.

I agree.
Pittsburgh is high in most areas, but look at their schedule. They have played a bunch of patsies. Shows you how raw stats can be totally misleading.

Syracuse plays at a slower pace than all but 3 of our ACC brethren (Clemson, UVA & Miami). Fewer possessions per game means fewer raw stats across the board. That's why it's much better to go with the advanced stats. In offensive efficiency, SU is second only to Duke, in defensive efficiency SU is fifth (trailing Clemson, UVA, UNC & Pitt) and when you subtract defensive efficiency from offensive efficiency (which is basically Pomeroy's measure), SU is #1.

If I have some spare time, I'll try to see who the conference individual leaders are in various categories.

Amazing how "poor" our rebounding stats and we are number one in offensive rebounds. Plus of course we are also number one in attendance. That's something that no one should ever take for granted.

Last edited:
Syracuse plays at a slower pace than all but 3 of our ACC brethren (Clemson, UVA & Miami). Fewer possessions per game means fewer raw stats across the board. That's why it's much better to go with the advanced stats. In offensive efficiency, SU is second only to Duke, in defensive efficiency SU is fifth (trailing Clemson, UVA, UNC & Pitt) and when you subtract defensive efficiency from offensive efficiency (which is basically Pomeroy's measure), SU is #1.

If I have some spare time, I'll try to see who the conference individual leaders are in various categories.

funny you point that out because at times I think Ennis slows us down too much at times, like a boring big ten team. Not use to that from a fast breaking program.

funny you point that out because at times I think Ennis slows us down too much at times, like a boring big ten team. Not use to that from a fast breaking program.
If we want to start blowing people out we need to find ways to run and have TC and TE getting it to Grant and CJ for monster flushes....unstoppable easy baskets and would change the momentum of games bigtime. St. John's got that monster transition jam against us and it was the beginning of their run to take the lead...

I suspect a lot of it is due to tempo. SU is playing less possessions than it has in past years. What matters is it is #2 in Offensive Efficiency and #3 in Defensive Efficiency.

I wonder if those other teams have their opponents trying to use up most of the shot clock on each possession. One of the things we were hopeful of with the move to the ACC is that we wouldn't face so many slow-down games and that we could get out and run with ball: that it wouldn't be the wrestling match Big East basketball had become. Maybe that's true. The second hope was that Pittsburgh would find it's rough stuff doesn't go in this conference. That would also be a good thing. we'll find out next month. let's see if our number of possessions- and points and the other stats go up.

Pomeroy actually makes finding this stuff quite easy, so I snagged the top ten ACC performers in individual tempo-free stats. I'll have to do them in separate posts because the forum software won't allow me to post multiple jpgs in a single post.

First is offensive efficiency, including those who are used in 20% or more of all possessions. The first number is offensive rating, the number in parenthesis is percentage of possessions used.

yfww.jpg

Cooney would be top 5 here if the standard was lowered to 16% of possessions used, but he is only used in 18.7%