We're better than Pitt | Syracusefan.com

We're better than Pitt

albanycuse

Dion Waiters
I'm a realist and the reality of things is that this year we are better than Pitt and there's no reason why we don't go there and come out with a victory. Away game ,"hostile" enviroment , this is college basketball all away games are hectic.

After 23 games Ennis is no longer a freshman and everyone else has been through the battles before. We will be up for this game, You know JB wants any game against Pitt as top priority.

SU by 5.

Agree. I think we win. At duke is the only game I don't feel confident we'll win.

I'm a realist and the reality of things is that this year we are better than Pitt and there's no reason why we don't go there and come out with a victory. Away game ,"hostile" enviroment , this is college basketball all away games are hectic.

After 23 games Ennis is no longer a freshman and everyone else has been through the battles before. We will be up for this game, You know JB wants any game against Pitt as top priority.

SU by 5.

I agree with that. And I think we can beat them there. But not having Keita available [if that's how it works out] makes it tougher.

My concern--and something that I can absolutely see happening down there--is that Rak is going to have two quick fouls in the first three minutes of the game, five possessions in, and we'll spend the rest of the game at a disadvantage--giving up offensive rebounds / inside scores while trying to get by with a funky lineup. That's my big fear.

Even without Keita, there is no reason a Pitt team in a tailspin with Patterson and Zanna nursing injuries should beat us.

I agree with that. And I think we can beat them there. But not having Keita available [if that's how it works out] makes it tougher.

My concern--and something that I can absolutely see happening down there--is that Rak is going to have two quick fouls in the first three minutes of the game, five possessions in, and we'll spend the rest of the game at a disadvantage--giving up offensive rebounds / inside scores while trying to get by with a funky lineup. That's my big fear.

Agreed. Rak may have to sacrifice giving up a few hoops for the sake of being able to stay out there longer.

We know we'll get Pitt's best punch though. The environment won't be easy, either.

I think we'll win, too, but we've had far too many struggles against this program over the years...

Realistically, I think this game is about a coin flip, maybe 45% chance of winning. Pitt is extraordinarily (more than any other team in college basketball) comfortable against our zone. Dixon knows how to coach players to dissect it - he's been doing it for a decade.

I will be cheering like a socially awkward maniac during the game like I always do, but if we happen to lose, I will get over it very quickly knowing we're still on track for the East 1 seed.

Pitt is a completely different team without Durand Johnson. That team with him would have had a chance to win the ACC and he brought another scoring/outside threat to couple along side with Patterson. This team struggles to score (as evident by the 62 point double OT offensive outburst against 1-10 VPI). If we play well offensively we will run them off the court.

We know we'll get Pitt's best punch though. The environment won't be easy, either.

I think we'll win, too, but we've had far too many struggles against this program over the years...

Agreed. Here are the keys:

• Don't let their guards shoot well. In the first half of the game in the Dome, these guys shot much better than they usually do. We need to close out on their backcourt shooters and not give them open looks. If Patterson gets his--fine--but don't let these guys beat us
  • Cover the hell out of the perimeter. As absurd as it seems, Pitt got back in the game against us by shooting lights out from three. Some of these were deep shots. Need to get out there and cover, and take away those threes.
  • Rak needs to stay out of foul trouble. Easier said than done against these guys.
  • We can't let them play dump-and-chase on the offensive backboards. Pitt sucks offensively, but they can make up for that by getting 2nd and 3rd shot opportunities, which they eventually will convert. Limit their scoring opportunities by preventing them from climbing over our backs on the offensive boards.
  • Make some shots. They are going to sell out to cover Cooney. He needs to be smart and take shots when they are there without forcing. Efficient scoring is more important than him cranking up shots every time he has a sliver of room because he isn't open much. Be patient, Trevor, and burn them when the opportunity arises
  • Avoid giving their fans anything to cheer about. The Pete is a raucous environment. Let's play well and get their fans sitting on their hands instead of letting pitt hang around.

We do these things, we'll win.

Rebound, Rebound, Rebound. If I was JB I would tell Rak, Jerami, C.J. plant your asses down low on defense and prevent Pitt from getting 2nd chance points. I don't fear Pitt shooting the ball outside of Patterson. If we are within 5 rebounds of Pitt we win this game easily. I think we will score enough points on offense we just need to prevent 2nd chance points from Pitt. Also, I tell Cooney and Ennis to watch the 6th defender on the sideline and not be afraid to make contact with that 6th defender if they are in-bounds.

Pitt is a completely different team without Durand Johnson. That team with him would have had a chance to win the ACC and he brought another scoring/outside threat to couple along side with Patterson. This team struggles to score (as evident by the 62 point double OT offensive outburst against 1-10 VPI). If we play well offensively we will run them off the court.

We haven't really run anybody off the court. It's just not what we do.

Gotta factor in as well that Patterson and Zanna are far from 100% healthwise heading into this game.

Gotta factor in as well that Patterson and Zanna are far from 100% healthwise heading into this game.

Come on Marsh. Dollars to donuts at least one of those guys goes for a career high. We've seen this too many time before.

Come on Marsh. Dollars to donuts at least one of those guys goes for a career high. We've seen this too many time before.

Patterson was on fire against us and they still lost the last game. I think he hurt his hand which certainly could impact his shooting ability. Let Zanna and Paterson score their average. Just dont let others step up.

We've been better than Pitt at least 60% of the time we've played them over the past 5 years. Hasn't helped much.

Well two of those "40%ers" were '09 and '11...
Last year's split without a home game I would say is a fair representation of us being slightly better...
The '10 game is really the only What loss in that span.

Seems like every Pitt game I've watched this year Pitt is in the double bonus with 9 minutes left in the half and their opponent isn't even in the bonus yet. Considering how they play, it's stunning how infrequently they get called for fouls (they're ranked 43 in the country) while their opponents do. So having only 5 fouls at the center position instead of the 15 we started the year with worries me. But I agree with Albanycuse - we're definitely better than them.

What I am amazed about Pitt is how well their players move without the ball to be in positions to receive short passes through our zone. It's almost like they are reacting on the first pass or cut to receive the second. They really shredded our zone last time. But I still think we have a very good chance to win the game if Patterson does not have a good game. The problem being number one in the country is the Pitt fan base is really going to come out for this game.

It's going to be fun and intense whatever happens!

We've been better than Pitt at least 60% of the time we've played them over the past 5 years. Hasn't helped much.

Exactly.

You have to wonder how much basketball some of these people watch.

Your team shoots poorly and the other team heats up ... you lose.

Clemson beat Duke this year. Wanna guess how?

Exactly.

You have to wonder how much basketball some of these people watch.

Your team shoots poorly and the other team heats up ... you lose.

Clemson beat Duke this year. Wanna guess how?

They out rebounded them 48-30

They out rebounded them 48-30
Which is my point the number one key is from C.J., Jerami, Rak plant their asses down and work their butts off the defensive glass. Pitt can't beat us unless they play volleyball off the glass and get second chance points. I would tell Rak every rebound you get increases the size of your steak by 1 ounce and get 20 rebounds tonight and we win. Pitt will miss enough shots for our guys to get double digit rebounds. Our best rebounders are 1. Grant 2. Christmas 3. Keita 4. Fair we also need Cooney and Gbinjie to help on the boards like MCW did in the Big East Tournament win over Pitt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom