We're better than Pitt | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We're better than Pitt

We've been better than Pitt at least 60% of the time we've played them over the past 5 years. Hasn't helped much.

Over the past 5 years (09-10 to 13-14), we're 3-2 against Pitt, for a .600 winning percentage. We've won 60% of the time.

Edit: Actually it's 3-3 going back 5 years, but that's not really all that bad. It certainly doesn't fit the "They own us" narrative. SU has won 3 of the last 4.

Last edited:
I have a hard time seeing us lose to Pitt tomorrow with or without Keita. They haven't improved at all this year since the beginning of the season. I watched the 2OT game against VPI and Patterson looked awful. He shot at least three airballs and his hand is clearly bothering him. On top of that Zanna can barely move. Get out on Patterson, rebound and we will win. I still say we are 26-0 heading to Cameron.

Funny Townie brings up Clemson beating Duke, as my buddy said Jay WIlliams would not stop talking about us being in a close game with them last night.

Even with all of their knowledge and Dixons experience against the zone, the only reason they were in the game at SU was due to Patterson hitting 3 big 3s.

If he's limited, I think we have a very good chance to win this game. Definitely better than 50% and probably in the neighborhood of 60%.

Of course I still won't be anywhere near comfortable at any point on Wednesday about this game.

Pitt has done well against us because their strengths align perfectly with our weakness.

1. Pitt is a great offensive rebounding team
2. Pitt is a great passing team (especially interior passing)

Pitt's weaknesses are:
1. No players that can create their own shot
2. Poor shooting team

Since we never leave the zone it doesn't really matter that none of their players can create their own shot. It also doesn't really matter that their are a poor shooting team since they will almost always try to work it inside (besides Patterson or someone else always seems to make contested 30 footers against us).

Syracuse is a better team, but this will be a real test because of the match ups Pitt poses as well as the strengths and style of play.

A few weeks ago it was posted that Tom Izzo is 0-8 against Roy Williams. Weird stats like this are all over college basketball and serve as a testament to the stylistic problems certain teams and coaches have with one another.

I also believe SU will not lose to Pitt tomorrow.

Logically, I agree with this as well. But for some reason, I just feel like Patterson will go off for 5+ threes and Zanna will somehow put up 20pts even though they have recently both been injured.

Logically, I agree with this as well. But for some reason, I just feel like Patterson will go off for 5+ threes and Zanna will somehow put up 20pts even though they have recently been both injured.

I think neither Patterson nor Zanna will play tomorrow.

Yes, we are better. The season's body of work proves that. However, the game will be a dogfight (or a catfight) to the finish. Assuming no BMK, this will be a very tough game for us to introduce new rotations. Single biggest key could be if X can play 30 to 32 minutes & avoid too much foul trouble. If X gets into foul trouble, it will probably be an uphill battle for us. Only saving grace might be if their two star wounded players have sub-par games as a result.

I think we can get by with Jerami at the 5 for 8 to 10 minutes (assuming playing at the five doesn't in turn get him into foul trouble), but any more than that & it probably means we are getting hammered inside.

This could be a stretch where Roberson gets more run, it would be nice if can break out.

Realistically, I think this game is about a coin flip, maybe 45% chance of winning. Pitt is extraordinarily (more than any other team in college basketball) comfortable against our zone. Dixon knows how to coach players to dissect it - he's been doing it for a decade.

I will be cheering like a socially awkward maniac during the game like I always do, but if we happen to lose, I will get over it very quickly knowing we're still on track for the East 1 seed.
true, but Miami and Tech have used their inferior versions of the zone to take Pitt into overtime recently. Right now, it's looking like Pitt peaked when they were up 3 on SU with 3 minutes to go. they have not been impressive since then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom