Were those SEC officials | Syracusefan.com

Were those SEC officials

Fjoinkay

Starter
against USC? The crowd was not happy when the ref called the home team South Carolina. And then he called SU Syracue. I'm guessing he was from the SEC, but even so how can you go into the Coliseum and say South Carolina? I have a good friend who lives on Hilton Head and who is a big Gamecock fan, and the people down that way do make the claim down that South Carolina is the real USC. Sorry, I don't think so.

The Gamecocks do have a shot at running the table this year because they have a good team and they don't play either LSU or Alabama!?! And btw, South Carolina's Heisman candidate RB Lattimore weighs in at 245 lbs.

against USC? The crowd was not happy when the ref called the home team South Carolina. And then he called SU Syracue. I'm guessing he was from the SEC, but even so how can you go into the Coliseum and say South Carolina? I have a good friend who lives on Hilton Head and who is a big Gamecock fan, and the people down that way do make the claim down that South Carolina is the real USC. Sorry, I don't think so.

The Gamecocks do have a shot at running the table this year because they have a good team and they don't play either LSU or Alabama!?! And btw, South Carolina's Heisman candidate RB Lattimore weighs in at 245 lbs.

There shouldn't be SEC officials. Or Big East officials. or ACC officials. Or Pac 12 officials.

There should be NCAA officials.

South Carolina was "USC" before California was even a state, and they hold the trademark rights to that mark. Just saying. :noidea:

South Carolina was "USC" before California was even a state, and they hold the trademark rights to that mark. Just saying. :noidea:

Fair enough. I guess I'm a little biased right now in favor of the Trojans because I was in the Coliseum last week, and I saw all of those championship banners. Wow!

Btw, I saw Todd Marinovich in the parking lot before the game. He was wearing an orange baseball cap without any lettering on it. I overheard someone in a nearby USC party ask him about his brother, but I didn't hear his response. He seemed in good shape. I think I saw Ryan Bartholomew waiting in the visitor will call line. And I saw Nancy Cantor and Floyd Little walking inside the stadium before the game. Floyd appeared to be doing all of the talking, and I mention this because it was about the same time that the college football world was reacting to the ACC transfer news. I caught the tail end of Dr. Gross's interview with ESPN.LA.com which was on a stage outside the Coliseum. I walked upon the interview at the end, so I missed any questions/comments about the transfer. I did hear the host of the show summarize by saying that SU is up and coming. Dr. Gross appeared to be very happy to be visiting USC, and I think it's a nice coincidence that the news of the transfer hit the media while he was in L.A.

The officials were Big East.

Wow. Now I'm glad SU is going to the ACC. How could a BE official say South Carolina and Syracue? Must have been the jet lag. He said both late in the 4th quarter which was approaching midnight back in the east.

There shouldn't be SEC officials. Or Big East officials. or ACC officials. Or Pac 12 officials.

I kind of like this idea. Why not eliminate the profits by conference as well with profit sharing across the board. If the profits were split up across the country I'm pretty sure all of this conference realignment would stop and teams would keep it more local. Constitutional issues? Probably, but if so too bad. I'm a big fan of free markets, but if the NCAA can prevent payment to the student athletes, then why can't the NCAA step in and say everyone shares equally in the profits from T.V. etc... No more windfall for ND, Texas and the SEC.

Not that I truly care but the University of South Carolina was originally named South Carolina College and didn't become USC until 1865. The University of Southern California was founded with that name in 1880, 15 years later.

The only trademark issue I am aware of is over the interlocking "SC" in sports, not "USC", and after the Trademark Tribunal awarded the Trojans the trademark for the interlocking "SC" back in 2008 the Gamecocks appealed the case to the Supreme Court which refused to hear it in 2010.

Cheers,
Neil

The worst part is that the replay official has usually been a local (to the hometeam) person. Maybe that's been addressed recently, but I suspect not.

Not that I truly care but the University of South Carolina was originally named South Carolina College and didn't become USC until 1865. The University of Southern California was founded with that name in 1880, 15 years later.

The only trademark issue I am aware of is over the interlocking "SC" in sports, not "USC", and after the Trademark Tribunal awarded the Trojans the trademark for the interlocking "SC" back in 2008 the Gamecocks appealed the case to the Supreme Court which refused to hear it in 2010.

Cheers,
Neil

Thanks, I'll drop some of that info on my friend the next time he raises the issue. He's probably familiar with the facts, so I'll be interested to hear his interpretation.

I kind of like this idea. Why not eliminate the profits by conference as well with profit sharing across the board. If the profits were split up across the country I'm pretty sure all of this conference realignment would stop and teams would keep it more local. Constitutional issues? Probably, but if so too bad. I'm a big fan of free markets, but if the NCAA can prevent payment to the student athletes, then why can't the NCAA step in and say everyone shares equally in the profits from T.V. etc... No more windfall for ND, Texas and the SEC.

This is the way it used to be up until sometime in the 1980's. The NCAA controlled all TV rights under the old CFA. Then Georgia and Oklahoma (I think, there may have been others) sued to allow schools to negotiate their own rights (or have the conferences do this on their behalf). This is what led to the initial round of conference shakeups, death of the SWC, Penn St. to the B1G, FSU to ACC, formation of the Big East football, etc. The genie is out of the bottle, it ain't going back in. Things are better for the big boy programs this way, all the games are on TV instead of a select few. Conference shakeup is nothing new and probably won't ever stop, the only constant is change.

This is the way it used to be up until sometime in the 1980's. The NCAA controlled all TV rights under the old CFA. Then Georgia and Oklahoma (I think, there may have been others) sued to allow schools to negotiate their own rights (or have the conferences do this on their behalf). This is what led to the initial round of conference shakeups, death of the SWC, Penn St. to the B1G, FSU to ACC, formation of the Big East football, etc. The genie is out of the bottle, it ain't going back in. Things are better for the big boy programs this way, all the games are on TV instead of a select few. Conference shakeup is nothing new and probably won't ever stop, the only constant is change.

Thanks. I wondered why no one was talking about NCAA control. I would be interested to research those law suits to understand the Courts' rationale for allowing market forces to run wild over college sports. I'm a big fan of free markets, but not necessarily in sports and especially college sports where the student/athletes are being used to make mints.

Do you know if those suits went all the way to the US Supreme Court? I wonder if any wiggle room exists for a conference to sue the NCAA. I could see the BE or even the Big12 or someone else suing on grounds that the system as it has evolved is detrimental to the sport and to the student/athletes.

Thanks. I wondered why no one was talking about NCAA control. I would be interested to research those law suits to understand the Courts' rationale for allowing market forces to run wild over college sports. I'm a big fan of free markets, but not necessarily in sports and especially college sports where the student/athletes are being used to make mints.

Do you know if those suits went all the way to the US Supreme Court? I wonder if any wiggle room exists for a conference to sue the NCAA. I could see the BE or even the Big12 or someone else suing on grounds that the system as it has evolved is detrimental to the sport and to the student/athletes.

Here's the Wikipedia page for it. I'm actually pretty impressed with myself with getting the jist of this correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_v._Board_of_Regents_of_Univ._of_Oklahoma

Before this case the NCAA dictated which games were on TV and what time those games were played. That is a clear violation of both commerce clause and Sherman antitrust law because it was restricting football teams from negotiating in the best interest because the NCAA had a monopoly. This case can clearly be traced as the beginning of the Conference realignment towards conference championship games because conferences could negotiate their contracts with television partners. It went to the Supreme Court because it was a federal question and thus it was within a case that the US Supreme Court wanted to set precedent on.

Thanks again!! I wonder if we will see more litigation on this issue because in the present day circumstances I would think the NCAA could do a better job satisfying the Court's requirement for affirmative defenses on the restraint of trade. It's a long shot, but it sure seems like a lot of people are unhappy with the current reality and public policy considerations might influence the Court to revisit a case where the issues are slightly re-framed.

I'm not a lawyer, but from what I've read, the trend will probably continue away from NCAA control. That may not be such a terrible thing.

It seems almost all of the NCAA's revenue (something like 95% or $1 billion annually) comes from march madness- still run by the NCAA. The schools have a love-hate relationship with the organization. It distributes a portion of the revenue to all of its schools, but then dictates terms with rules schools and athletes find unacceptable.

If the schools ever end up creating their own football playoff (using 4x16 conferences or otherwise), not only would it be an incredible source of revenue (Jim Delaney estimated something like $700 million more than the current system), it could convince them to run their own hoops tourney, disempowering the NCAA by taking its money.

Interesting stuff, IMO. I was never a fan of the NCAA, but it was more about arbitrary enforcement, etc. Turns out that's only a small portion of it. The Atlantic article- the source of most of my info- really pulls the curtain back. I think the schools probably want a FB playoff, but not one run by the NCAA. Until they can run it themselves - possibly facilitated by 4x16 conferences- it probably won't happen.