West Virginia WRs | Syracusefan.com

West Virginia WRs

Chip

Creature of Bad Habits
Was just looking up the stats of their WRs. Couldn't help notice the size. The two best are both considered small (Bailey at 5'10, 190, Austin at 5'9, 176). Next guy, McCartney is Van Chew-ish, 6'3, 178. After that you get to guys who haven't made much of an impact.

So how do they avoid the press coverage problems that our WRs have? Are these guys so small and fast that you just can't press cover them? So should we get more guys like that?

I'm not saying our guys are as good as them, I know they're not. But I'm wondering if there are ways to get around the things that are handcuffing ours. As has been said here, we may not have any Marvin Harrisons or Kevin Johnsons, but I don't think we have any Tim Lanes or Rice Moss types either.

By the way I think CIL answered this in the 7,000 post thread, complete a couple of the deep passes and the press coverage will decline. WVU is completing passes down the field, we're not.

As great as that thread is, it's hard to keep up with.

We need to be physical with them. Smash them in the mouth each time they come out make them think twice about every catch

We won't be able to get physical with them if we can't actually keep up with them. We have the corners with the size to knock them around, but do they have the quicks to stay with them?

Was just looking up the stats of their WRs. Couldn't help notice the size. The two best are both considered small (Bailey at 5'10, 190, Austin at 5'9, 176). Next guy, McCartney is Van Chew-ish, 6'3, 178. After that you get to guys who haven't made much of an impact.

So how do they avoid the press coverage problems that our WRs have? Are these guys so small and fast that you just can't press cover them? So should we get more guys like that?

I'm not saying our guys are as good as them, I know they're not. But I'm wondering if there are ways to get around the things that are handcuffing ours. As has been said here, we may not have any Marvin Harrisons or Kevin Johnsons, but I don't think we have any Tim Lanes or Rice Moss types either.

I'm not so sure WVU is completing the deep passes or these guys are converting short and intermediate passes then getting some serious YACs due to their agility and speed.

Keep an eye out on Keon Lyn -- IMO is as close to lock down corner as we have had in a while. He's young and gets caught peeking a bit, but he's probably the only kid ready on our roster to handle these guys stride for stride (Reddish and Desir are talented, but not physically mautre to be playing every down).

My guess is when we are in man its keon on and island and Anderson and or Scott with safety help over the top.

CIL - agree about your assessment of Keon. He's the real deal, he's unfortunately just raw and inexperienced. He's got the size and ability to, potentially, play on Sundays eventually (in my opinion).

I like Lyn too, the issue is been between the Thomas', Lyn, and Anderson we have been the wlaking wounded back there, hopefully it comes together tonight.. Scott certainly can't be on an island not even a peninsula

Good question, I don't get that either, I see lots of other small receivers in college football. In addition, Chew is the only guy we have that is a bit on the skinny side

It's not all about size, but also strength, quickness and just overall athleticism.

It's not all about size, but also strength, quickness and just overall athleticism.

No it's about scheming to put receivers in position where they have a few yards to catch and run. We have three pass plays: Go route off of PA or the PA waggle to the weakside with all the recivers flooding to the sideline, or the slant. Unfortunately our opponents know when we will run 2 of the 3 plays before we do so that means the receivers are blanketed and either can't catch the ball or have no YAC potential afterwards and our QB is not accurate enough to hit the go route off of PA.

The only time this pattern ever changed was against USC when we spread the field out and all of the sudden the out to the far side of the field opened up and we magically could do some curls and TE streaks up the middle. Why could we do this? Because USC couldn't just flood an area of the field with defenders because they knew which of our three pass plays were going to be run.

I like Lyn too, the issue is been between the Thomas', Lyn, and Anderson we have been the wlaking wounded back there, hopefully it comes together tonight.. Scott certainly can't be on an island not even a peninsula
hopefully these guys can avoid cramps defending haltertops 4 verticals 50 times tonight. glad it's a little cooler this weekend

I'm not so sure WVU is completing the deep passes or these guys are converting short and intermediate passes then getting some serious YACs due to their agility and speed.

Keep an eye out on Keon Lyn -- IMO is as close to lock down corner as we have had in a while. He's young and gets caught peeking a bit, but he's probably the only kid ready on our roster to handle these guys stride for stride (Reddish and Desir are talented, but not physically mautre to be playing every down).

My guess is when we are in man its keon on and island and Anderson and or Scott with safety help over the top.
If you want a little interesting pre game trivia, WVU has an in at Miramar HS, one of the top programs in Florida. One of their players coaches there. A bunch of WVU players are Miramar grads, including Ivan McCartney, who looks like a future NFL player to me, and Dante Chambers, another young WR.

Keon Lyn, is already our best cover guy, and is also from Miramar. These three were classmates there. Their senior year, they won a state championship.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom