Wetzel on ACC deal/FSU | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Wetzel on ACC deal/FSU

Clemson is not happy with the lack of punishment for NC and what they did was far worse than Clemson who got hit hard by Swofford.

I thought the league Presidents voted on the UNC punishment?

You know what ? The bottom line for SU is that we went from $3.6M a year to at least $12M, escalating up into the low-$20M's by the end of the contract. Even if Fla State leaves, essentially, "so what"?

On the Boneyard board, you have some people claiming it will be armageddon and 10 teams from the ACC will leave, leaving only us, Wake Forest, BC, Pitt and Duke left over. I highly doubt that founding members of the ACC would be fleeing for Texas' league (which is what the Big 12 - 2 is) or for the Big 10.

Even though there is unrest, we are still in good financial position, even if the ACC becomes the New-Old Big East - a basketball conference that happens to play football, and is just at the cusp of the power conferences.

You're getting expansion opinions from the Boneyard?

Do you also get fashion tips from the late, great, Charles Nelson Reilly?

You're getting expansion opinions from the Boneyard?

Do you also get fashion tips from the late, great, Charles Nelson Reilly?

UConn fans --- at least the realists --- have figured out that unless something cataclysmic happens to cause a huge shake up that they are stuck in C-USA. So they sieze upon every rumor or article and extend that to the point where it gives them hope to somehow escape the new, new, new Big East. Lately it's been ND to the ACC with them brought along as a necessary additional school or the ACC losing schools to the Big 12 or the SEC creating a vacuum in the ACC. The Big 10 is another spot they fantisize about.

What they are rooting for is a major shift in the tectonic plates and every rumor of a tremor is the earthquake they are praying for. Its interesting to see just how creative they can be developing scenarios on who is going to do what all of which is based on pore conjecture about motives.

UConn fans --- at least the realists --- have figured out that unless something cataclysmic happens to cause a huge shake up that they are stuck in C-USA. So they sieze upon every rumor or article and extend that to the point where it gives them hope to somehow escape the new, new, new Big East. Lately it's been ND to the ACC with them brought along as a necessary additional school or the ACC losing schools to the Big 12 or the SEC creating a vacuum in the ACC. The Big 10 is another spot they fantisize about.

What they are rooting for is a major shift in the tectonic plates and every rumor of a tremor is the earthquake they are praying for. Its interesting to see just how creative they can be developing scenarios on who is going to do what all of which is based on pore conjecture about motives.

We would be doing the exact same thing if we were in their boat.

We were doing the same exact thing in their boat last summer during the B1G conference expansion plans and then during the potential Big 12 implosion.

No argument here on that. We ought to be very glad we are not in that boat.

But as Animal Mother said in "Full Metal Jacket" as he looked down at his dead marine brothers, "Better you than me".

If there is a run at the bank you'll see a lot of surprising things happen. Swofford reminds me of Modell. I'm not saying this will go on but once you start to see the last chairs being filled you tend to be a bit more aggressive. The best way to stabilize the ACC is having ND join and I don't think that will happen.

The SEC does not want the Big 12 in Florida. The SEC went to Texas and now it's possible the Big 12 is countering with FSU. I don't know what so ever what is going on behind the scenes but schools are going to be looking out for #1 and when push comes to shove, we'll see what their true intentions are. Academically the most stable conference is the Big 10 and athletically it's the SEC out of the power conferences.

I think you may have spent too much time in the Big East. All that worrying starts to make you constantly worry. The ACC brand is going nowhere. There will be no "run at the bank". When people who do this for a living sit down with the #'s, you get a different result than a guy who just spouts off inaccurate statements without looking at details. Then you throw in the more experienced business person who says "before we let the accountant crunch how we're going to pay $25M up front so we can possibly recoup $3M more per year in revenue while traveling all of our sports all around the country, does anyone realize how much exposure on ESPN our current deal is giving us?"

If there's a run on anything, it would be that TV money couldn't keep up with your scenarios to make it worthwhile for each of these schools to jump conferences so easily.

The SEC has the Florida prize. If it wanted to keep the Big 12 out of Florida it would have added FSU instead of Mizzou. They don't care right now. If and when the time comes, they can add FSU and/or Miami. As I said last night, those schools would flip in no time. And the Big 12 knows this.

I thought the league Presidents voted on the UNC punishment?

And the block of Duke, NCs, Wake and a third voted no. They needed one more vote for punishment to get their 2/3 as the rest voted to punish NC.

I think you may have spent too much time in the Big East. All that worrying starts to make you constantly worry. The ACC brand is going nowhere. There will be no "run at the bank". When people who do this for a living sit down with the #'s, you get a different result than a guy who just spouts off inaccurate statements without looking at details. Then you throw in the more experienced business person who says "before we let the accountant crunch how we're going to pay $25M up front so we can possibly recoup $3M more per year in revenue while traveling all of our sports all around the country, does anyone realize how much exposure on ESPN our current deal is giving us?"

If there's a run on anything, it would be that TV money couldn't keep up with your scenarios to make it worthwhile for each of these schools to jump conferences so easily.

The SEC has the Florida prize. If it wanted to keep the Big 12 out of Florida it would have added FSU instead of Mizzou. They don't care right now. If and when the time comes, they can add FSU and/or Miami. As I said last night, those schools would flip in no time. And the Big 12 knows this.

The brand ACC, no it is here to stay but read more from SEC talk and see how they would react to a Big 12 invasion in Florida. They get along w/the ACC and they are no threat because academics matter more to them but the Big 12 could give 2 poops about academics, especially when it comes to football and they area threat to the SEC. The SEC punched them hard with A&M and Missouri but they are still standing and may counter.

Again, these are just my best guesses if FSU does indeed decide that they want the quick cash and we all now they definitely are not an academic juggernaut by any means.

Am I paranoid, a bit I suppose but going into the ACC my eyes are also open and a lot of the conference is unhappy with the NC rule much like Texas in the Big 12 and Providence to us.

Now, if ND came in and FSU left, I'd be fine with that and I'd bet Miami would as well and there would be no need to having Rutgers or Uconn.

I think you may have spent too much time in the Big East. All that worrying starts to make you constantly worry. The ACC brand is going nowhere. There will be no "run at the bank". When people who do this for a living sit down with the #'s, you get a different result than a guy who just spouts off inaccurate statements without looking at details.

Me thinks that FSU Good Ole Boy (BOT) will be stepping down soon...