What’s in the Water in Utah | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What’s in the Water in Utah

Born in Salt Lake City. And his alma mater is named after his GGG-Uncle.
Born in SLC, but raised in his ENTIRE childhood in Greenwich CT. Was captain of the baseball, basketball and football teams at Greenwich High School

I believe the mission thing only applies to BYU. I was there this week and there is a strong sports/outdoor culture in SLC and the area. I think there is a stronger interest in hoops there (like in cold Syracuse). From what I saw, they are passionate about being active and are fiercely loyal to where they are from (The way I am about NJ and the way you are about Syracuse).
No all Mormons go on the 2-year mission, not just BYU. Utah, Utah St. players who are Mormons also go on the missions. The big lineman on those teams can be 24, 25, 26 years-old by the time they're seniors. Makes a big difference, literally men vs. boys.

No all Mormons go on the 2-year mission, not just BYU. Utah, Utah St. players who are Mormons also go on the missions. The big lineman on those teams can be 24, 25, 26 years-old by the time they're seniors. Makes a big difference, literally men vs. boys.
Only meant that I believe BYU is the "Mormon" school and the others are state schools. Mormons all do the mission, but I assume there is a much higher percentage of Mormon players at BYU than the other two.

Mormon culture is way into fitness. Another school that does well with a high mormon population is Boise State. I own a business in an industry that's basically ruled by Mormons, and they're fiercely loyal to Utah schools and extremely disciplined, and extremely competitive. There's plenty of weird things about their culture, but there's definitely some impressive aspects. Also, they have a lot of hawaiians and samoans. The Mormon church is one of the biggest landowners in Hawaii. They own the Polynesian Cultural Center on the north shore of Oahu. Many Hawaiians and Samoans moved to Utah. They make for GREAT linemen.

Born in SLC, but raised in his ENTIRE childhood in Greenwich CT. Was captain of the baseball, basketball and football teams at Greenwich High School
That's impressive. He had alot of talent

So one thing to keep in mind, a few years back they changed the age requirements for missionaries. It used to be that guys couldn't go until they were 19, so it was pretty common for guys to do a year of college or a gap year and then serve a mission after turning 19 or 20. Now missionaries can begin serving once they're 18, so you're seeing more and more guys that start their missions before college.

And wasn’t he voted second best athlete to ever come from CT by this board?

The difference is Kyle Whittingham is a great coach. He's 11-3 in bowl games. Inherited a successful program from Meyer and has done well transitioning into the Pac 12. SU needs a coach like him. He's consistent, he develops and importantly he hasnt taken a more attractive job.
This right here. He's the best coach in the country that no one knows. If Dabo ever left, I'd absolute love for him to be the guy at Clemson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom