What’s the plan to close out 2018? | Syracusefan.com

What’s the plan to close out 2018?

96ToInfin

Walk On
If I’m not mistaken we have 1 more scholarship for 2018 ( I don’t know if that is with the assumption that Battle leaves). Will we be looking at the 5th year senior market for say a big man or are there other recruits for 2018? It’s been a bit slow lately to say the least. Maybe because of the 1 scholarship left and the season starting. I just wanted to get some thoughts on what the staff might do to finish the class and what your hopes are (realistic).

upload_2017-11-21_17-7-43.png

;)

If I’m not mistaken we have 1 more scholarship for 2018 ( I don’t know if that is with the assumption that Battle leaves). Will we be looking at the 5th year senior market for say a big man or are there other recruits for 2018? It’s been a bit slow lately to say the least. Maybe because of the 1 scholarship left and the season starting. I just wanted to get some thoughts on what the staff might do to finish the class and what your hopes are (realistic).
I think we are done.

I think the staff was looking at Majur Majak as an "in case of emergency break glass" thing. Maybe we pursue something in the spring but at this point I tend to agree with dasher and we stay put.

I think the staff was looking at Majur Majak as an "in case of emergency break glass" thing. Maybe we pursue something in the spring but at this point I tend to agree with dasher and we stay put.

Particularly with Chukwu playing much better than anticipated, and Sidibe looking like a future stud.

I have zero problems with them adding a depth prospect, but the future looks bright in the pivot

Particularly with Chukwu playing much better than anticipated, and Sidibe looking like a future stud.

I have zero problems with them adding a depth prospect, but the future looks bright in the pivot

I think we are figuring we go after a big time big to pair with Sidibe in ‘19.

So, we could be looking at a 5 man class in 2019.

As we get back to a full roster, I could see us taking 2 big men, a wing and another guard to go with Goodine. That's assuming that Battle goes pro, of course.

So, best of all possible worlds - Ajak, who is currently visiting, and either Stewart of Cockburn as the other big man. Either one would be huge, but I would lean toward wanting Stewart for his size.

Next up would be a wing - Achiuwa would be a great get, of course. Battle' s younger brother might be a more likely option.

We already have a verbal from Brycen Goodine, which is great. If Tyus is gone, I would expect to add a fifth guard like Jalen Lecque.

We wouldn't get Achiuwa if Bazely was still here, so let's not even pretend with that.

But we could have a sick lineup. I think a lot of that junior class will still be around, and could give us a really solid foundation in a couple years.

SR: Elijah Hughes
JR: Oshae Brissett, Howard Washington, Bourama Sidibe, Marek Dolezaj, Matt Moyer
SO: Jalen Carey, Buddy Boeheim, (Darius Bazely - Pro)
FR: Brycen Goodine, Jon Bol Ajak, Jalen Lecque [Precious Achiuwa/Khalif Battle/Other] , [Isaiah Stewart/Kofi Cockburn/Other]

As we get back to a full roster, I could see us taking 2 big men, a wing and another guard to go with Goodine. That's assuming that Battle goes pro, of course.

So, best of all possible worlds - Ajak, who is currently visiting, and either Stewart of Cockburn as the other big man. Either one would be huge, but I would lean toward wanting Stewart for his size.

Next up would be a wing - Achiuwa would be a great get, of course. Battle' s younger brother might be a more likely option.

We already have a verbal from Brycen Goodine, which is great. If Tyus is gone, I would expect to add a fifth guard like Jalen Lecque.

We wouldn't get Achiuwa if Bazely was still here, so let's not even pretend with that.

But we could have a sick lineup. I think a lot of that junior class will still be around, and could give us a really solid foundation in a couple years.

JR: Oshae Brissett, Howard Washington, Bourama Sidibe, Marek Dolezaj, Matt Moyer
FR: Brycen Goodine, Jon Bol Ajak, Jalen Lecque [Precious Achiuwa/Khalif Battle/Other] , [Isaiah Stewart/Kofi Cockburn/Other]
Your numbers appear right but doesn't Buddy come in as a walk on which would free up another scholarship. And you would have to think the odds are that another player leaves early (possibly Brissett or Dolezaj). I wouldn't be surprised to see another 2018 brought in.

Your numbers appear right but doesn't Buddy come in as a walk on which would free up another scholarship. And you would have to think the odds are that another player leaves early (possibly Brissett or Dolezaj). I wouldn't be surprised to see another 2018 brought in.

We have the flexibility to add to the class for the reasons you mentioned.

That said we will have Howard, Washington, Hughes, Carey and Buddy. 5 guards.

Moyer, Bazley and at least one of Dolezaj/Brissett if not both. 3/4 forwards

Chukwu and Sidibe returning. 2 centers

That's a full rotation especially when you consider that Hughes could be a 2/3 swing type player for us. A big time stud may not see enough playing time, same with any grad transfers. If we could find a good developmental 4/5 guy with high upside that's a situation I think we would use a ship on. (which is why we were after Roberts) Perhaps someone too good to pass up wants to transfer in I could see that because they'd sit anyway next year. (Not a guard though) I think the staff keeps an open mind but concentrates on 19 and sees where we are at in the spring.

Last edited:

That's a full rotation especially when you consider that Hughes could be a 2/3 swing type player for us. A big time stud may not see enough playing time, same with any grad transfers. If we could find a good developmental 4/5 guy with high upside that's a situation I think we would use a ship on. (which is why we were after Roberts) Perhaps someone too good to pass up wants to transfer in I could see that because they'd sit anyway next year. (Not a guard though) I think the staff keeps an open mind but concentrates on 19 and sees where we are at in the spring.
It seems like it's been a million years that Cuse used max amount of scholarships. Seems more often than not that JB was awarding a walk on with one. I would love to see 13 healthy studs fighting over PT. Let the creme rise to the top. For some reason Tyler Roberson entered my head thinking that maybe if he would have been pushed by a young stud and not just by JAB, then possibly maybe he would have improved himself to be NBA caliber.

It seems like it's been a million years that Cuse used max amount of scholarships. Seems more often than not that JB was awarding a walk on with one. I would love to see 13 healthy studs fighting over PT. Let the creme rise to the top. For some reason Tyler Roberson entered my head thinking that maybe if he would have been pushed by a young stud and not just by JAB, then possibly maybe he would have improved himself to be NBA caliber.

Sure it'd be great to have 13 studs in an Ideal World.

but doesn't Buddy come in as a walk on which would free up another scholarship.
I don't think that has been confirmed, but only speculation by fans and Mike Waters. I could be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me if JAB gives him a scholarship.

I don't think that has been confirmed, but only speculation by fans and Mike Waters. I could be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me if JAB gives him a scholarship.
Mike Waters says no.

Mike Waters on Twitter

Syracuse basketball recruiting, scholarship situation for future years

Scholarship situation: Ten of 13 scholarships used if everyone stays. There will be nine scholarships if Battle leaves for the NBA after the 2017-18 season. Buddy Boeheim will not count against SU's scholarship limit. Paschal Chukwu's situation will also bear watching. He will have one more year of eligibility if he pursues it with the NCAA. He could decide that five years in college is enough and turn pro.

I don't think we get 3 years out of Brissett.

Back when we used to have a full roster, we often had 3 centers, with one being a project. Otherwise I agree that the best roster make-up has 5 guards, one of whom is being groomed as a future PG or dead-eye SG, and really 4 forwards is best, so you have 2 on 2 in practice of scholarship quality players.

Mike Waters says no.

Mike Waters on Twitter

Syracuse basketball recruiting, scholarship situation for future years

Scholarship situation: Ten of 13 scholarships used if everyone stays. There will be nine scholarships if Battle leaves for the NBA after the 2017-18 season. Buddy Boeheim will not count against SU's scholarship limit. Paschal Chukwu's situation will also bear watching. He will have one more year of eligibility if he pursues it with the NCAA. He could decide that five years in college is enough and turn pro.
Wait we only get paschal for 1 year?

Wait we only get paschal for 1 year?
Poorly worded I think. Chukwu had 5 seasons to play 4. One at Providence, one sitting as a transfer, one last year, this season and next. He could be granted a 6th year, but I doubt it since we're not Oregon and Phil Knight isn't calling the NCAA about granting a 6th year.

Poorly worded I think. Chukwu had 5 seasons to play 4. One at Providence, one sitting as a transfer, one last year, this season and next. He could be granted a 6th year, but I doubt it since we're not Oregon and Phil Knight isn't calling the NCAA about granting a 6th year.
Right that’s how I had it also. 2018-19 would be his true “last” year. He could get the NCAA to get him through 2019-2020.

Back when we used to have a full roster, we often had 3 centers, with one being a project. Otherwise I agree that the best roster make-up has 5 guards, one of whom is being groomed as a future PG or dead-eye SG, and really 4 forwards is best, so you have 2 on 2 in practice of scholarship quality players.

No issue with 2 centers if you have a forward who can move to the middle in the event of injuries or foul trouble. I cringe to think our third center right now is Marek.

I would love more depth in the middle, although with 2 centers for next year we may not have the minutes to attract top talent. That's probably why we were recruiting Roberts (high ceiling but longer development prospect). Having a third C on the roster, especially someone that could contribute, would give JB not only some peace of mind but more flexibility. For example, UM had both of their bigs on the court at the same time to compete with us on the glass. Fernando had to sit with fouls but he and their 7 footer were on the Court together. Louisville also plays two bigs (7 footers) ... it's the ACC. You never have enough size and rebounding. I'm not saying we need Chukwu and Sidibe on the Court together for extended periods. But that would certainly be interesting .. since Sidibe would give us a second low-block scorer and rebounder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom