What a monumental collapse... | Syracusefan.com

What a monumental collapse...

RF2044

Living Legend
...on a night when many eyes were upon us. First of all, glad we dodged a bullet. Very happy we hit some free throws down the stretch [thank god], or this would have turned into a debacle of monumental proportions instead of just a scare.

Seems to me that this is the worst collapse since perhaps the Pitt / Paul Harris turnover game. Had a bad collapse last year against Marquette in a similar game [20 point lead, team is rolling, then proceeds to play the last 10 minutes of the game inept while the opponent chips away], although like tonight that one ended in a "W."

Any others I've repressed that I failed to list above?

No doubt...

But, am I the only one who no longer gets nervous? 5 years ago, I was nervous for every game...thinking we could lose to anyone (Vermont's and Cleveland States of the world) now I just expect us to win 30 games. It's great to be a fan of this program...small warts and all :)

Thought it was a letdown. Team was ready to celebrate with 10 minutes to go and Detroit wasn't quitting. But I did see some things that concern me.

No doubt...

But, am I the only one who no longer gets nervous? 5 years ago, I was nervous for every game...thinking we could lose to anyone (Vermont's and Cleveland States of the world) now I just expect us to win 30 games. It's great to be a fan of this program...small warts and all :)

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I was thinking the same thing during the Canisus game--about how circa 07-08, we'd either be sweating out a close victory or we'd somehow manage to stub our toe against a small conference team that shoots the lights out against us instead of putting them away.

Glad those days are in the rear view mirror. We really weren't very good for a stretch of several frustrating seasons...

No doubt...

Right there with you. Wasn't nervous at all tonight. Haven't been nervous for one second of any game this season.

Monumental collapse? Nah, they just played sloppy and stupid basketball as a team down the stretch and pissed away most of a big lead. To my mind, a monumental collapse would have to end with a loss.

...on a night when many eyes were upon us. Very happy we hit some free throws down the stretch [thank god], or this would have turned into a debacle of monumental proportions instead of just a scare.

Seems to me that this is the worst collapse since perhaps the Pitt / Paul Harris turnover game. Had a bad collapse last year against Marquette in a similar game [20 point lead, team is rolling, then proceeds to play the last 10 minutes of the game inept while the opponent chips away], although like tonight that one ended in a "W."

Pitt and that UMass NIT game the same year as Pitt. Up 20, rolling and the wheels fell off. And of course UMass beat us in the Dome twice that season.

This was just a horrible game. I'm not as high on the team as I was before tonight, but probably just a blip more than an omen. Even last year's team had an ugly struggle with Marshall.

Biggest concern is our half-court offense when we play passively and get out of attack mode. We don't really have an AO in there we can dump it down low to for an easy bucket. Will Coleman develop that? At some point but not this year. He still brings the ball low. Who taught him that he has to pound the ball on the deck and drop his shoulder?

Also, Roc's rep out of high school was that he would disappear for large stretches. Those scouting reports were spot on.

Baye is Baye. Love his motor... Wish he could lend a few rpms to Roc.

Point is: we don't have that inside post presence we will need in March/ hopefully April. That flaw is a problem because if Southerland and our shooters go cold, where is our Dion to isolate and dominate?

ehh, JB...LET...IT HAPPEN.

now theyve played a tight game in the last 4 mins.

and they know they can NEVER, take their foot off the gas.

In 900 Wins I TRUST!!!

Oh Lord

This was more of the usual of just holding on to a win that we have seen so many times before. Its not pleasant but JB has ridiculous success rate with closing out games like this with a win.

This was more of the usual of just holding on to a win that we have seen so many times before. Its not pleasant but JB has ridiculous success rate with closing out games like this with a win.
I disagree... It wasnt stall ball. It was what pearl said above.

Biggest concern is our half-court offense when we play passively and get out of attack mode. We don't really have an AO in there we can dump it down low to for an easy bucket. Will Coleman develop that? At some point but not this year. He still brings the ball low. Who taught him that he has to pound the ball on the deck and drop his shoulder?

Also, Roc's rep out of high school was that he would disappear for large stretches. Those scouting reports were spot on.

Baye is Baye. Love his motor... Wish he could lend a few rpms to Roc.

Point is: we don't have that inside post presence we will need in March/ hopefully April. That flaw is a problem because if Southerland and our shooters go cold, where is our Dion to isolate and dominate?

Excellent post. I'll post something more long-winded about this tomorrow but I thought this team got completely exposed for a long stretch. Nowhere to go for a bucket. If teams are able to make penetration tough for MCW, we're pretty bland in a half-court setting. I like Rak, but he's not going to scare anyone. You're eval of DC is right on. I like CJ but he hasn't quite gotten to the point of being able to create anything. Triche has been ... solid, I guess, but he gets abused half the time when he's trying to make something happen.

This team is great and will be fun to watch. I'd guess this is a minor bump in the road for the most part, but that was a scary stretch of hoops right there.

Good post, bill. CJ is a do-a-little-bit-of everything guy...a glue guy. Brandon is a nice player; My biggest issues are his suspect handle and his problems finishing in traffic. He did once tonight when he got hit in the chops. He's built like a tank. That's what he should be doing all the time.

MCW is a magician and he makes everyone better but he looked green as grass when he had to make something happen for himself on several late shot clock situations against tough defense tonight.

...on a night when many eyes were upon us. Very happy we hit some free throws down the stretch [thank god], or this would have turned into a debacle of monumental proportions instead of just a scare.

we won dude. it was only a one possession game once i think? drop it.

I remember a pretty epic collapse @Louisville 06-07? maybe 07-08.

06-07. I kicked a footstool across my apartment and left it there for weeks. I went out that night and was completely miserable to be around.

06-07. I kicked a footstool across my apartment and left it there for weeks. I went out that night and was completely miserable to be around.

Was that the one @ Louisville? That was awhile ago, but I seem to remember us having a pretty big lead but stinking it up in the second half against the ville.

Along those same lines, we lost @ Pitt in that same timeframe. We had a pretty big first half lead [upwards of 18 points or so], only to get outplayed and eventually lose. I had to watch that game at my wife's company christmas party [it was in Jan or early Feb], and it was so disheartening...

its not a collapse when you win the game. detroit never even had a possession to tie it much less take the lead. What is with you guys.

we won dude. it was only a one possession game once i think? drop it.

Drop it? After we squandered a 22 point lead in the second half, they made it a 2 possession game with a minute to play, and cut it to three a bit later.

Everybody's happy that we won, but let's not pretend that the team's performance / execution wasn't putrid down the stretch.

Kudos to JB on attaining victory 900--rarefied air--but we could have easily lost today's game if James misses a few shots, or if MCW misconnects on a few FTs. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Hopefully, this is a learning opportunity for the team. The coaching staff is going to have plenty of stuff to get after them about given the poor way we played down the stretch. I'd expect us to come out spitting brimstone against Temple on Saturday.

LGO!!!

i'm guilty. i have to admit that i was laughing my ass off down the stretch after watching all the espn broadcast buildup.

While I don't disagree, I thought Detroit was by far the best team we have played so far, athletic, quick, scrappy and had some talent. Well coached as well. Love a team that plays that hard

My biggest concern is there isn't a go to player when the going gets tough. Everyone was standing around waiting for mcw to create something and instead of creating, he turned it over or hoisted up a forced/bad shot. Last year's team had scoop Dion or Kris to break down someone and get to the basket. The last two games this team has looked very average. JB Has looked very tight in his coaching style, shorter bench most of the game, no press or trapping in the corners. I hope someone can step up and be the go to guy who can get to the basket.

Was that the one @ Louisville? That was awhile ago, but I seem to remember us having a pretty big lead but stinking it up in the second half against the ville.

:eek: Found it.

http://suathletics.com/news/2007/1/27/MBBatlouisville012707.aspx?path=mbasket

Syracuse led the majority of the game, but Louisville used a 24-4 run in the final 10 minutes for the comeback victory. Syracuse was held without a field goal for a 9:39 span, managing only four free throws during that stretch.

Eric Devendorf, Terrence Roberts, and Demetris Nichols all scored in double-figures and had 49 of Syracuse's 71 points. Devendorf led the Orange with 18 points and had a career-high nine rebounds. Roberts added 16 points and was one rebound shy of his fourth-consecutive double-double with nine rebounds. Nichols chipped in 15 points and six rebounds. Darryl Watkins had nine points, eight rebounds and three blocks ans Paul Harris pulled down seven boards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom