What a roller coaster season.. | Syracusefan.com

What a roller coaster season..

CUSU

Starter
First off, I am extremely motivated for the future under HCSS. Some might say its premature to get too excited, but I truly think he is the right guy for our program. There is a certain feeling to be in an improving conference that has a member competing for the NC, its great.

Beginning of the season was testing to the fans on this board but we held in there and Shafer kept the team on the right track to finish strong.

I just wanted to talk a little about our team next year. We are losing some key players such as Jerome Smith, Marquis Spruill, Jay Bromley, and Macky McPherson. The others though I'm not too concerned about as long Sean Hickey stays as some rumors have indicated. (Not banking on that but I really hope he stays). With all this we have an extremely experienced team next year compared to this year.

Below is a little breakdown of the existing roster. Then below that the verbals for the incoming class.

* returning starter
^ returning significant time
# returning little time

Offense (excluding incoming class)

*LT - Hickey, Lasker
*LG - Trudo, Palmer
#C - Emerich (little experience), Shanley
*RG - Robinson, Palmer
*RT - Foy, Knapp
^TE - Parris, K. Moore, Batten, Provo
*WR - J. West, A. Cornelius, J. Kobena, A. Fleming, Funderburke, Corey Winfield
*H - A. Broyld, B. Estime, S. Avant
*QB - Hunt, Kimble, Wilson
#FB - Moore, Burke, Provo?
^RB - Gulley, Morris, McFarlane

Defense (excluding incoming class)

*DE - Welsh, Simmons, Trejo
*DT - Crume, Sloan
^DT - Raymon (was walking at bowl),
*DE - Robinson, Johnson, Thompson (DT ?)
*OLB- Davis, Kirkland, Perry
#MLB- Arciniega, Washington or Vigille?
*OLB - Lynch, Hodge, Vigille?
^CB - Whigam, Morgan
*SS - Eskridge, Kelley
^FS - Desir
^CB - Redish, George
DB - Scissum, Douglas, Jackson, Mims

Incoming Class VERBALS

Offensive

OL - Roberts
WR - Cooper, Williams, Custis
RB - Phillips
QB - Long, Eduard

Defensive

DL - Slayton
LB - Franklin, Bennett, Moskal
DB - Howard, Dawson, Hudson, Williams

We have significant experience everywhere except center and middle linebacker. I think Emerich will hold his own but won't be as good as Mackey. I do think the surrounding guards will improve in the off season to balance that out. Hopefully Hickey stays and we should have a solid I line. I am more worried about MLB Arciniega needs to improve instincts and closing speed if he is going to be viable in the middle. If hodge bulks up could he move into the middle? He is a sure tackler from what I've seen.

WR should only improve with Corey Cooper and KJ coming in, one of them I believe will see significant time next year. Plus all of the red shirts. Anyone hear if Fleming is coming back? I'm assuming he is. Same with West.

I think our Coaches really grew a lot this year and I hope we can keep the staff in tact for three more years to really see what they can do.

Guess I'll have to watch basketball only for the next few months... Its just not the same.

GO ORANGE!

Last edited:
I am concerned about the depth we have in the middle of the defense (DT/NT, ILB and S). It seems our numbers there are very low and the players we have are generally upperclassmen. Need some beef to stay tough up the middle. We seem to have "outside" positions well covered. Would be nice to get another offensive lineman or two this year simply for sake of balance.

Other than that, I share your optimism. QB seems to be in decent shape with some anxious guys ready to step up if Hunt slips, the RBs look good behind PTG (Morris and McFarlane look really good), WR has a large group of players that have made some improvement and Hickey would be a huge "get" if he stays (although I think he goes).

Love our coach. Hopefully he sticks it out if he has another good season or two and someone comes calling.

Yup, those factors that people assumed would work against us this season are gone: new staff; inexperienced qb; new conference. There will be new challenges, and other players to replace. But those who predict such things, if they are fair-minded, will have to consider an experienced qb (granted he will have competition); a veteran staff; a team that finished strong, finishing third in their division, getting to a bowl game, and winning against a power conference team; the suggestion of some speedy playmakers in Hunt, Estime and Broyld; and a stable of quality rbs. Bet against this group at your own risk.

I am betting we will get a pleasant surprise or two in the recruiting class as well.

Washington is transferring. Miller or Hayes will be the backup center.

Great write up. Saw something in the PS that Vigille was taking snaps at middle along with Luke. I would think though that Cam slides over leaving Hodge and Davis on the outside. I think this helps us a little in pass coverage. Then again maybe Luke takes the spot. In either case I like where we are at LB. D tackle is another animal altogether.