What am I missing on Noel? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What am I missing on Noel?

Noel certainly has upside, but don't sleep on Adams. I really believe this kid can turn into a very serviceable player. A good late round early second. If he's there that long.

Everyone saying trade down, what team actually wants the #1 pick?

ben_20wallace_20rebound.jpg
nerlens-noel.jpg

Yeah, I see the resemblance.

Really late to this thread, and it's already been agreed upon, but while I think he's going to be a good NBA center for years to come, he's going to struggle initially, mostly in part to him being 136lbs.

If a sign-and-trade could be worked out with Josh Smith for the first pick, do you do it?

OK, so who do you take in this draft class that has a chance to be a star?

Ideally a #1 pick is surefire all-star, or at least a +starter, but it's not clear yet who in this draft fits that profile.

So yeah, people are right to question Noel, but who's better? I mean, actually better, not hypothetically "a #1 pick should guarantee us ______________" better.

Same arguement that was made with Nassib being the best QB in this years NFL draft. Comparing him with the other options this year Noel might be the best player in the draft same as Nassib perhaps being the best QB due to lack of other options on the board. Doesn't really matter that Davis was a much better #1 last year or that the 2003 draft had Lebron, Melo, and Wade as better options since those players aren't on the board in this years draft.

wasn't Marcus Camby pretty thin at age 19? if he puts on weight over the length of his contract, maybe his ceiling is Marcus Camby, which is not too bad. The team that picks him is going to have the patience to let him heal and gain weight & strength. If you need to win now, you should skip him.

Probably a good comparo. Did Camby have a bum wheel coming out of college though? That along would scare me from drafting NN #1 since his game is predicated on exceptional athleticism that you have no idea if he'll ever regain. If his knee slows him down a 1/2 step or a step on defense he becomes extremely average especially givin his lack of an apperent offensive game to date.

Howard and Noel are nothing alike physically. Howard has a wide frame and was much bigger at the same age. Without the additional strength, Howard is just another dweeb without many skills. Noel is much more like Dalembert than Howard.
Your missing the overall point I was making. Howard was a one dimensional athletic big man coming out of high school (honestly that's what he still is). There are so few physically imposing guys in the NBA that Noel could make an impact just with his athleticism, similar to what Howard did straight out of high school.

Howard had an NBA body back then. Howard had some post moves. Noel has none of this.

The other thing is, the Cavs desperately need a small forward. If any team didn't actually want to win the lottery, it was the Cavs. If they had gotten the 3rd/4th pick, they woulda snap taken Porter and called it a day. Hell, the Cavs already even have a young lanky guy to play center. Tyler Zeller was servicable last year, despite playing way more than originally anticipated due to the Varejao injury.

I think Camby and Chandler are good comparisons. Also Ben Wallace. These never developed much of an offensive game and took 5-6 years to get stonger and dominate on defense and rebounds. thats pretty much what I would expect from Noel.

I would be worried about that Knee. Its always tempting to go with the Center when there is other talent out there. If I was a GM that year with Oden and Durant would be in the back of my mind. You pass on Durant for Oden and looking back it must kill Portland that Oden gave them nothing and Durant is a top 5 player right now.
Portland is used to that. What is the name of the center, Martin?, they once picked with a high first round pick because he once had a good game against Olajuwon in college.

Portland is used to that. What is the name of the center, Martin?, they once picked with a high first round pick because he once had a good game against Olajuwon in college.
Here's a little help. Portland picked Larue Martin weith the #1 pick of the 1972 NBA draft. He would have thoroughly dominated a 9 year old Hakeem Olajuwon that season. Martin Averaged 19 pts 16 rebs his senior year and outplayed Bill Walton one game (though his team lost by 30). Martin was indeed the first of several major draft lapses by the Trailblazers. 1972, Martin #1 over #2 Bob McAdoo, 1984 Sam Bowie #2 over Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley and Sam Perkins, 2007 Oden over Durant.

If I was Cleveland I would take Nerlens without a doubt. Here are my reasons...

1. Acquiring a rim protector like Noel is exactly what the doctor ordered considering Kyrie can't stop a nosebleed. When you have a PG who can't keep guys out of the lane and nobody to protect the rim you have no chance of being a good defensive team at any level.

2. The Cavs are rebuilding. They won't be a playoff team next year regardless so you might as well be as bad as possible to get as high a pick as possible in 2014 (a franchise changing draft). Nobody gives you a better chance of remaining bad than Nerlens. He won't be ready until Christmas at the earliest. That puts Cleveland in a position to add a defensive rim protector this year and still be bad enough to have a high draft pick next year. In 2014 they can address the wing or low block scorer where the draft is stacked with prospects better than Otto Porter and McLemore (Wiggins, Parker, Gordon, Randle). It just makes more sense.

He's 205 pounds. Who is he going to keep from posting up in the paint? He's a huge bust waiting to happen. Nice player, but I would not take him anywhere near the top 10. He has to be a four and he has no offensive skills. He's another overrated big man. The Nba is a guard and wing league.
whoever picks him will get him on horsepills immediately. not a concern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom