What am I missing on Noel? | Syracusefan.com

What am I missing on Noel?

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
How is he the consensus overall number 1 pick? Are teams just that stupid? You dont spend the first overall pick on a guy who is one dimensional and that one dimension isn't dominant. The guy has NO offensive game and in the NBA he isn't tall enough to be a dominant center..and he is a twig.

If I have the overall number one pick, Im taking a guy that has a chance to be a star...(not that there seem to be many of those this yeaer) not taking a guy who has a limited ceiling like this.

cleveland taking him would be a huge waste . Id rather gamble on the big french man..at least there is a chance he doesnt s u c k balls on offense.

How is he the consensus overall number 1 pick? Are teams just that stupid? You dont spend the first overall pick on a guy who is one dimensional and that one dimension isn't dominant. The guy has NO offensive game and in the NBA he isn't tall enough to be a dominant center..and he is a twig.

If I have the overall number one pick, Im taking a guy that has a chance to be a star...(not that there seem to be many of those this yeaer) not taking a guy who has a limited ceiling like this.

cleveland taking him would be a huge waste . Id rather gamble on the big french man..at least there is a chance he doesnt s u c k balls on offense.
OK, so who do you take in this draft class that has a chance to be a star?

Ideally a #1 pick is surefire all-star, or at least a +starter, but it's not clear yet who in this draft fits that profile.

So yeah, people are right to question Noel, but who's better? I mean, actually better, not hypothetically "a #1 pick should guarantee us ______________" better.

Didn't Noel measure at 7 foot in shoes or at least 6'11"? That's plenty talk enough for the position. He's a great shot blocker and has a high motor. Offensively, he was starting to come along before he got hurt and he was a pretty good passer from the post if I remember right. The only guys semi-worthy of #1 this year are him and McLemore. If they take McLemore, he or Waiters are on the bench.

See the two post above mine. Covers what I was going to say.

Pains me to say it, but from what I saw from Otto Porter this year I would take him ahead of Noel. I see Noel's ceiling as Tyson Chandler, which isn't bad but isn't number one material. Like has been said though this draft is fugly. I think you could pick in the 20s and get someone just as good as the lottery.

Pains me to say it, but from what I saw from Otto Porter this year I would take him ahead of Noel. I see Noel's ceiling as Tyson Chandler, which isn't bad but isn't number one material. Like has been said though this draft is fugly. I think you could pick in the 20s and get someone just as good as the lottery.

I see his ceiling as more like Joakim Noah. Porters a good complementary piece, but I see him more ending up being like a prime Tayshaun Prince/maybe Kawhi Leonard.

OK, so who do you take in this draft class that has a chance to be a star?

Ideally a #1 pick is surefire all-star, or at least a +starter, but it's not clear yet who in this draft fits that profile.

So yeah, people are right to question Noel, but who's better? I mean, actually better, not hypothetically "a #1 pick should guarantee us ______________" better.
well, if I am cleveland, I say the hell with the consensus, I am taking the guy I want - Porter or Oladipo - then grab one of the other big rim protectors (Adams, Gobert,Dieng, Withey) with 19 (or maybe package 19 and 31 or 33 to move up a bit higher to guarantee getting Adams or Gobert).

this draft is a crap shoot because there is no surefire star, so you run the risk of looking like an idiot no matter who you take - might just as well draft for need and if you flame out at least it was with a plan in mind.

I kinda like that PG with the :crazy: initials for a name - MCW - me thinks :)

Far from perfect, but he does have a 7'4" wing span, elite athleticism (even by NBA standards) and is considered a game changer on D.

Taking a center who has been injured recently, without a full season of recovery is not a good idea, see Greg Oden. Smart GM's would have told him to get healthy, go back to school, and prove he isn't injury prone. Blake Griffin has been injured twice already in his NBA career.

He's 205 pounds. Who is he going to keep from posting up in the paint? He's a huge bust waiting to happen. Nice player, but I would not take him anywhere near the top 10. He has to be a four and he has no offensive skills. He's another overrated big man. The Nba is a guard and wing league.

I'd pass on him, I would take Deing and Len, maybe even Mason P, before I take Noel. And there is still the Brazilian and the French dude. Adams is still out there too, along with Jeff Whithy.

I wouldn't draft Noel #1.
I don't trust his knee(s). Call me paranoid, but the way his injury occurred just doesn't give me confidence in his long-term health, and if injuries or even just persistent pain will hamper his mobility, his shot-blocking and overall effectiveness are severely diminished. Add to this the fact that he never was an all-'round player like Greg Oden, and i see a recurrence of the Oden saga.

So, no, there isn't a consensus, sure-fire first pick. If i'm Cleveland, i trade down. To get who, i dunno.

I don't get comparing Noel to Oden. Noel tore his ACl, which basically can happen to anyone.

If i was an nba gm i would not pick Noel number one. he has Michael Olowakandi written all over him. I would rather have Otto Porter, ben mclemore, or oladipo. I am willing to bet noel never develops an offensive game past tyson chandler. The nba has turned into a wing players league anyway. Why draft a one dimensional injured big man when there are manymore skilled players available.

Some years, a Tyson Chandler type is as good as it gets. Lotsa decent complementary players in this draft, but it sure looks devoid of star power.

What am I missing on Noel? How is he the consensus overall number 1 pick?

wasn't Marcus Camby pretty thin at age 19? if he puts on weight over the length of his contract, maybe his ceiling is Marcus Camby, which is not too bad. The team that picks him is going to have the patience to let him heal and gain weight & strength. If you need to win now, you should skip him.

wasn't Marcus Camby pretty thin at age 19? if he puts on weight over the length of his contract, maybe his ceiling is Marcus Camby, which is not too bad. The team that picks him is going to have the patience to let him heal and gain weight & strength. If you need to win now, you should skip him.

Which is pretty much ever lottery team except OKC.

I don't get comparing Noel to Oden. Noel tore his ACl, which basically can happen to anyone.

It's not that i expect another ACL injury, and it's not like Noel's got any type of congenital defect. But, just seeing the way he landed and collapsed — some people (i'm probably speaking mostly about myself) seem to have a greater risk of knee injuries. It's just an 'eyeball thing' — i just don't like the looks of his body considering the position he plays and the type of pounding he's going to have to suffer day in and day out.

Which is pretty much ever lottery team except OKC.
funny, I think that OKC is the one team that does have to win right now (they and Dallas). Most of the other teams are all in various phases of their rebuilding processes and their fans don't expect them to win big next year anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom