What are the reasons to be more optimistic after 2021's 5 and 7 than 2019's 5 and 7? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What are the reasons to be more optimistic after 2021's 5 and 7 than 2019's 5 and 7?

A coach who was willing to change up his entire system mid season and kick his QB to the curb and install another one. Maybe it needed a little more tweaking, and last night we saw that Shrader CAN throw and our receivers CAN catch the ball. That gives me hope that this will be worked on during the off season, and throw in some more of those trick plays you decided to use last night. But please don't wait until the last game to be unpredictable and creative in your play calling.

This team has not underachieved. They have performed exactly where they have been projected to be based on recruiting and preseason rankings. That’s the major issue here.

There are some things to build off of but our d line next year needs an overhaul. I like the pieces but there’s not enough.

So maybe the only thing to hope for is to # the portal. Assuming Dino stays they dis get AET and Jackson from other teams

My fan / faith took a beating this past week, with all of the SU losses. Accordingly, it's tough for me to be optimistic right now.

But here are three differences:
  • Established QB who has made us competitive against good teams
  • A Heisman caliber running back
  • 4 returning starters on the OL

That's all I got.
Okay, I’ll add to the list.
- A defense that has played hard and looks to keep developing
- Young WRs who look like they could possibly be growing up
- The transfer portal now offers a chance to select some players to fill deficiencies

We have the lowest ranked recruiting class in the ACC. Does that help?

ND game might have some fans there.

In my 30 years of going to games, last night was the emptiest I’ve ever seen the place. There was zero energy.
It looked that way on TV. Even the lower section seats behind the SU bench that are usually full were spotty.

A coach who was willing to change up his entire system mid season and kick his QB to the curb and install another one. Maybe it needed a little more tweaking, and last night we saw that Shrader CAN throw and our receivers CAN catch the ball. That gives me hope that this will be worked on during the off season, and throw in some more of those trick plays you decided to use last night. But please don't wait until the last game to be unpredictable and creative in your play calling.
Here’s the concern I have - what if the success that we had mid season was only due to completely changing the offense and other teams not being able to game plan that? Once they had 4-5 games on tape we looked as bad on offense as the Rutgers game for all intents and purposes.

It looked that way on TV. Even the lower section seats behind the SU bench that are usually full were spotty.
I think Covid still hurts us. We’re the only team playing inside and there are a lot of people who don’t want to deal with the protocols, and requirements. I’ll bet it hurts us more than just about any other team.

We have the lowest ranked recruiting class in the ACC. Does that help?

ND game might have some fans there.

In my 30 years of going to games, last night was the emptiest I’ve ever seen the place. There was zero energy.
It sounded like a Wednesday afternoon Marlins v Royals game on tv.

I think Covid still hurts us. We’re the only team playing inside and there are a lot of people who don’t want to deal with the protocols, and requirements. I’ll bet it hurts us more than just about any other team.

This cost me the only chance I would have had to see the newly renovated Dome. By the time next season gets here, I will have permanently put N.Y. in the rear view.

That’s fair. I hadn’t really thought about that angle.

Garrett Shrader being in the same offense for more than a year. At Miss State, he was a freshman, then new coach and position change the next year. This year he didn’t start until the 3rd game. Guy is still a soph and will finally have some consistency. Despite his performance in the past 3 games, he lifted our offense and showed a lot of promise. His arm talent was never a plug and play type of talent but his athletic ability was. Hopefully now he will have an entire year to get comfortable, work with WR’s in the off season and work on his accuracy issues. I don’t really judge Garrett too harshly this year and see a lot of reason to be optimistic, he threw some pretty balls this game. Next year I will be a lot more critical. Plus Gadsden, Hatcher, Alford will all have another year under their belt to work with him.

Talk me off the ledge.

What reasons do we have go believe that we're better heading into the next season right now that we didn't have coming out of 2019?
I got nothing. I'm still in too dark of a place...

I was thinking of joining you on the ledge and we could just go all Thelma and Louise off of it.

(Yeah, yeah, I'll get some help...:()

Counterpoint: we dealt with injuries all year long -- seemed like Bleich / Davis were never healthy, Tisdale and Vet missed like half the season each.

Continuity is what makes for a good line. Tough when you're dealing with the walking wounded all year. But returning a solid nucleus [plus someone like Cruz] is the way to take the next step.
I don’t think this team’s injury situation was excessive. They basically started the season with six of their top seven offensive linemen healthy and ended the season with five of them healthy. I can’t confirm it, but I suspect that’s typical for most programs.

Counterpoint: we dealt with injuries all year long -- seemed like Bleich / Davis were never healthy, Tisdale and Vet missed like half the season each.

Continuity is what makes for a good line. Tough when you're dealing with the walking wounded all year. But returning a solid nucleus [plus someone like Cruz] is the way to take the next step.
Has Bleich ever been healthy anywhere he’s been?

Talk me off the ledge.

What reasons do we have go believe that we're better heading into the next season right now that we didn't have coming out of 2019?

The 2019 team was supposed to be a terrific one, coming off 10 wins, loaded experienced roster, and the new gunslinger at QB.

This year's 5 wins were the definition of a roller coaster year. Not a reassuring start to the season, replacement of QB, install new offense, win some games, then fall apart down the stretch.

In terms of this year's 5 wins, there were very low expectations.
In terms of 2019, that was a bigger disappointment.

The 2019 team was supposed to be a terrific one, coming off 10 wins, loaded experienced roster, and the new gunslinger at QB.

This year's 5 wins were the definition of a roller coaster year. Not a reassuring start to the season, replacement of QB, install new offense, win some games, then fall apart down the stretch.

In terms of this year's 5 wins, there were very low expectations.
In terms of 2019, that was a bigger disappointment.
You're talking about going into the year.

I'm asking about coming out of it.

You're talking about going into the year.

I'm asking about coming out of it.

Yes, coming out of 2019 was a bigger let-down.

We kind of hoped to be mediocre this year, and we were.

For the future, we might have a very good OL and running game. Hopefully a couple WRs emerge.
But our defense looks a mess again, especially if Mikel Jones goes pro.

I think we're treading water again next year, waiting for our next coach.

We ended 2019 strong. We ended 2021 poorly. After 2019 we fired both OC and DC. So there was hope for change. I do think we have more to work with talent wise but there isn't much of a difference as of today.

I honestly don’t see any reason to be optimistic for next year and with the super secret information lockdowns Babers institutes I don’t see that changing. It would take a Deriq King, Tagliavu type QB transfer and a hot shot OC to get me going again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom