What are we doing here? Sing along Saturday? | Syracusefan.com

What are we doing here? Sing along Saturday?

Scott11

Starter

Imagine going to a game at the dome and it is a tense contest and every time the action stops you have a sing-along to annoy the hell out of you. What has the world come to at this point? I know it has been a disappointing season on the court so far but when did we start to need distractions like this at a Syracuse basketball game? This is Syracuse Basketball. This is absolutely humiliating and embarrassing and totally inappropriate.

Cheesy, maybe. But not absolutely humiliating and embarrassing, IMO.
I think it is a good idea to try some new things. It might be a bomb or it might be great.

These games during the Christmas break are tough. The SSS is not available and it is hard to even book a HS band. Instead of canned music or dead silence, why not try something a little different?

if only the product on the court was good enough to sell tix without the gimmicks. But that’s a nice discounted $30 / $35 price point.

Aaahh yes, brings to mind one of the great promo nights in sports history, and this really speaks to me because I attended Syracuse during the mid-to-late seventies, aka, the height of the disco era.

Bill Veeck, the owner of the Chicago White Sox and perhaps the greatest agent provocateur sports owner of all time, on June 12, 1979 had Disco Demolition Night between the first and second games of a doubleheader. The White Sox were drawing about 15,000 fans per game that year and the hope was maybe 20,000 would show up for the event. Cut do Disco Demolition Night and 50,000+ were on hand . . . mostly to see the much hyped between game explosion of hundreds of disco albums.

The crowd got exactly what they were hoping for. The explosion was so big it ripped part of the field up and the juiced up fans rushed out of the stands and took care of rest. The White Sox had to forfeit the second game. Now THAT'S a promotion!

1577384874889.png

1577384937243.png

Last edited:
theyd be better off just putting the football F4 on the jumbo's...with sound.

Aaahh yes, brings to mind one of the great promo nights in sports history, and this really speaks to me because I attended Syracuse during the mid-to-late seventies, aka, the height of the disco era.

Bill Veeck, the owner of the Chicago White Sox and perhaps the greatest agent provocateur sports owner of all time, on June 12, 1979 had Disco Demolition Night between the first and second games of a doubleheader. The White Sox were drawing about 15,000 fans per game that year and the hope was maybe 20,000 would show up for the event. Cut do Disco Demolition Night and 50,000+ were on hand . . . mostly to see the much hyped between game explosion of hundreds of disco albums.

The crowd got exactly what they were hoping for. The explosion was so big it ripped part of the field up and the juiced up fans rushed out of the stands and took care of rest. The White Sox had to forfeit the second game. Now THAT'S a promotion!

View attachment 174625

View attachment 174626
Put me in charge and I will have $1 beer night AND the kiss cam. What else would we need.

With all the BS they cram into every timeout (promotions, announcements, etc...) the poor piano guy only got to play about 30-45 seconds during each break.

Yeah, good idea on paper, but incompatible with SU's minor league baseball atmosphere.

The crowd actually seemed to enjoy most of the piano and singing, but it was tough to get into a 37-second snippet of Crocodile Rock before the horn sounded and he was only a couple bars into the chorus.

I’m cracking up. We never do anything right. I don’t even get mad anymore. It’s just funny.
I agree it did not work and was not well received.

That said, I think it might have been successful with better execution. The piano guy would play piano and sing a verse or so, then stop. This was when he expected the crowd to step in and sing.

But instead of continuing to play piano and stop singing, he stopped everything. Dead silence. This confused an already hesitant crowd.

Thought he made some bad choices with the songs he chose to play as well, which didn’t help matters. He needed to play anthem type songs everyone knows. He did a song for instance where the crowd had nothing to sing but la la la la,

The limited window of time available during timeouts also factored into this not working.

“Crocodile Rock,” which my daughter pointed out is as old as she is: 33 years. That must be Tom’s “la la la” song. (I do love it, but . . .) “Living on a Prayer” was another as well “Sweet Caroline” for the finale, when many people left. He had a couple I didn’t recognize and also “Great balls of Fire,” but it was played tepidly, and that song has to be almost 60 years old, and no one knew it.

He was actually a great, vigorous piano player. But the execution was not so great. Nevertheless, I would give them a “B” for effort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom