What are your favorite Western movies? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What are your favorite Western movies?

what do you watch if you throw westerns out? you against horses and mules too?
I have seen plenty of Westerns and some of them I have enjoyed. I particularly liked the series "Deadwood." It is just one of my least favorite genres. It feels like a very over-represented part of American History to me. I used to watch a lot of old movies on TCM; generally when a Western would come on, I would change the channel. Most of my least favorite "Twilight Zone" episodes were set in "Old West." It is not my thing, but it is not out of the realm of possibility that I would enjoy one.

I am absolutely stunned at how little love The Magnificent Seven is getting here. For me, Magnificent Seven and The Searchers are far and away the two best Westerns ever made.

it will be interesting to see how good a job they do on the remake of the Magnificent 7. The updated True Grit was well done and much more true to the original story.

I cant see just ignoring a whole genre?

the searchers is about as good as it gets. and many other john wayne ones people have mentioned

you like robert redford? watch jeramiah johnson, butch cassidy
?

Jeremiah Johnson is one of my all-time favorite movies. Didn’t include it here.

I cant see just ignoring a whole genre?

the searchers is about as good as it gets. and many other john wayne ones people have mentioned

you like robert redford? watch jeramiah johnson, butch cassidy

comedy western. blazing saddles, mcclintock, shanhai noon, maverick

true grit, old and new

classic story telling , high noon, treasure of the sierra modra

clint watch his drifter trilogy

great vistas watch john ford movies

suspense, watch 3:10 to yuma the original, or high noon

tom selleck had a nice run of tv westerns based on Lamour books

what do you watch if you throw westerns out? you against horses and mules too?

Good call on the Selleck Lamour movies. I was at the National Buffalo Museum earlier in the week in Jamestown, ND. They have a small homage to Lamour, as he was from Jamestown. All of his books are displayed. Very interesting character.

it will be interesting to see how good a job they do on the remake of the Magnificent 7. The updated True Grit was well done and much more true to the original story.
Some movies should not be remade, period. The Magnificent Seven and Casablanca fall in that category. I agree with you on True Grit however; the remake was better scripted and cast than the original and had a real (true) grit feel.

Because I grew up on Westerns and war movies, I really got a kick out of the parody "Rustler's Rhapsody" 1985.

Shane
Silverado
Magnificent Seven
True Grit (remake)
Maverick
Rio Bravo
Open Range

the fastest gun alive with Glenn Ford. Great story about a guy that was the fastest gun alive except he was a coward.

Last edited by a moderator:
he fastest gun alive with Glenn Ford. Great story about a guy that was the fastest gun alive except he was a coward.
Wasn't Broderick Crawford in that too?

Broderick Crawford visited his aunt in Syracuse a number of times. It was hard for him to stay out of trouble because he often drank a bit too much.

I have about 12-15 wasterns to check out. Thanks guys.

Broderick Crawford visited his aunt in Syracuse a number of times. It was hard for him to stay out of trouble because he often drank a bit too much.

"Throughout his adult life, Crawford was prone to bouts of heavy alcohol consumption, and was known for eating large meals..."
all this per wiki. did appear on one of my favorite series BANACEK.

Yes! Now I really can't wait. Just released trailer

Since the private ranch location wasn't a secret that Tarantino rented to film on, we google mapped it, and found out that the river in the trailer is the San Miguel and we fished it, right by the ranch a few months back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom