Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
washinton-nod-washington.gif

Welcome to George Washington's Birthday!

George Washington was born in Virginia on February 11, 1731, according to the then-used Julian calendar. In 1752, however, Britain and all its colonies adopted the Gregorian calendar which moved Washington's birthday a year and 11 days to February 22, 1732.

SU News

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...-syracuse-looking-forward-visiting-next-month (SI; McAllister)

High School football in Texas is a way of life, and one of the most productive quarterbacks in the state is high on Syracuse. Class of 2025 Mesquite (TX) Dallas Christian signal caller Luke Carney also holds offers from Arizona, Arkansas, Boston College, BYU, California, Georgia Tech, Louisville, San Diego State, South Florida and several others.

During his junior season, he threw for 3,723 yards on 80.2% completion with 47 touchdowns and just six interceptions. He also ran for 843 yards. Syracuse extended an offer earlier this month and will host him for a visit March 21st-24th.

"Coach Nixon came to Dallas to watch me throw," Carney said. "He offered me and we had a long visit with my parents. I was very excited. Planning to come visit campus soon."

When visiting, the 6-2, 200 pounder says he wants to get a sense for the feel of the campus, the facilities and academics. In addition, it will be a chance for him to build on his relationship with offensive coordinator Jeff Nixon and other members of the Syracuse staff.

"Coach Nixon and I communicate on a regular basis," Carney said. "I felt very comfortable with him when he came to watch me throw in Dallas. He's been genuine with me throughout the recruiting process. I also have a great relationship with quarterbacks coach Campanile and coach Harris. The new staff is one of the main reasons Syracuse is so high on my list."

16114332_d748bd9a613d4faf8413ac4c077e528f.jpg

Hudl

Per analyst, Syracuse football pushing hard for 4-star RB, top-100 national prospect (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse football coaches are pushing hard for 2025 four-star running back Jabree Coleman, a top-100 national prospect from Philadelphia.

That's according to a recent article from national recruiting director Adam Gorney. The 6-foot-1, 200-pound Coleman has received more than 20 offers throughout his recruiting process to date.

The new Orange coaching staff, led by head coach Fran Brown, offered a scholarship to Coleman on December 24 of last year. Brown, most recently the defensive backs coach at Southeastern Conference powerhouse Georgia, and several of his assistants hail from New Jersey.

Blessed to receive an offer from from Syracuse University!! @cy_woodland @FranBrownCuse pic.twitter.com/1Gcyos9Rq4
— Jabree Coleman (@ColemanJabree) December 24, 2023

Since taking over the 'Cuse in early December of 2023, Brown and his staff have recruited the Garden State hard, along with nearby Philadelphia and the rest of the Northeast corridor.

Syracuse football is in pursuit of Jabree Coleman, a four-star running back in the junior class.
Last July, Coleman had verbally committed to Georgia, but on December 10 of last year, he said that he was de-committing from the Bulldogs and reopening his recruitment.

At the time that Coleman de-committed from Georgia, national analyst Adam Friedman noted that Brown was a "major part" of Coleman’s recruitment as it related to the Bulldogs.

Syracuse is the first to offer 2027 lineman Layton von Brandt (247sports.com; O'Brien)
One of Delaware's top Class of 2027 top prospects picked up his first FBS offer on Wednesday. Layton Von Brandt, a 6-6, 255-pound lineman prospect from the state of Delaware, has picked up his first FBS offer from Syracuse.

I am blessed to receive my first offer from @CuseFootball I want to thank the coaches at Syracuse for believing in me I can’t wait to be at spring practice on April 6th . Time to work even harder !!! @AppoFootball @CoachTMorg pic.twitter.com/itsb8OqdNr
— Layton von Brandt (@LaytonvonBrandt) February 21, 2024

The state of Delaware is often overlooked when it comes to recruiting, but von Brandt will most likely be an exception. He started on both sides of the line, defensive end and offensive tackle, for his high school team this past season as a freshman. According to von Brandt, the Syracuse coaching staff had been in contact with his high school coach. Syracuse is recruiting von Brandt as an offensive linemen. von Brand did tell All State preps that "they are still evaluating me on the defensive side of the ball as well."

Other FBS schools are taking a very close look at von Brandt. James Madison and Maryland are the other schools that have showed significant early interest in him. "I received an invite to JMU's spring practice and I'm waiting for a date for Maryland (spring practice)", said von Brandt. Charlotte is another school showing early interest in von Brandt. "I've already been on an unofficial visit to Charlotte and met (head) Coach (Bill) Poggi.", von Brandt said when asked about other schools that have shown interest in him.

The Juice on the Cuse Podcast: Mahoney ‘excited’ about direction of Syracuse football (bleav.com; podcast; The Juice on the Cuse)
Former Syracuse quarterback Zack Mahoney gives his thoughts on the current team and coaching staff, and reflects back on his Orange football career. Hosts Matt Dagostino and Wes Cheng also break down Syracuse's 87-83 road win over NC State on Tuesday evening.
HBCU football standouts look to show out for NFL evaluators (amsterdamnews.com; Harris)
There were 31 players from HBCU football programs on NFL rosters at the start of this past season. With the league composed of 32 teams, that’s an average of less than one player per squad. Of the 31, 22 were on active 53-man rosters when the 2023 campaign began.

The season culminated with the Kansas City Chiefs defeating the San Francisco 49ers 25-22 in Super Bowl LVIII (58) in a gripping overtime finish. HBCU alum Javon Hargrave is among those who shined in the game. The 31-year-old South Carolina State alum and 49ers defensive lineman had six tackles, three solo tackles, one tackle for a loss and one sack of Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes, the Super Bowl MVP.

This week in New Orleans, young men who hope to follow a similar path as Hargrave participated in the HBCU NFL Combine on Monday and will play in the Allstate HBCU Legacy Bowl, presented by the Black College Hall of Fame, this Saturday at Yulman Stadium, home of the Tulane University Green Wave.

The Combine was televised by the NFL Network as will the Legacy Bowl (3 p.m.). The two events are showcases for draft eligible players to display their physical skills, mental acumen, and social-emotional maturity in on-field drills and interviews with representatives from the multitude of NFL franchises that are in the Crescent City for the week’s activities.

Players will suit up for Team Gaither and Team Robinson, honoring iconic late HBCU head coaches Alonzo Smith “Jake” Gaither, who led Florida A&M from 1945 to 1969, and Grambling State’s Eddie Robinson, who directed the Tigers from 1941 to 1942, and from 1945 to 1997, and developed more than 200 players that went on to compete in the NFL.

The head coaches for Team Robinson are South Carolina State’s Chennis Berry and Prairie View A&M’s Bubba McDowell. Team Gaither will be directed by Howard’s Larry Scott and Virginia Union’s Dr. Alvin Parker.

Several players had impressive showings at Monday’s Combine, notably Alcorn State running back Jarveon Howard, a Syracuse University transfer; Jackson State safety John Huggins, who began his collegiate career at the University of Florida; and quarterback Davius Richard of North Carolina Central, a two-time MEAC Offensive Player of the Year.

The last HBCU QB drafted by an NFL team was Tarvaris Jackson, taken by the Minnesota Vikings out of Alabama State in 2006 in the 2nd round (64th overall). Jackson played for the Vikings, Seattle Seahawks and Buffalo Bills in his 10-year NFL career, starting 34 of the 59 games in which he appeared. Jackson was killed in a single-car accident in 2020 at the age of 36 in Alabama.

Syracuse University Upgrades Dick Clark Studios - Mixonline (mixonline.com; Staff)
Syracuse University has upgraded all three broadcast audio production control rooms at its Dick Clark Studios, which support the school’s TV, radio and film curriculum and also produce programming for ESPN’s ACC Network and the university’s Orange Television Network.

Syracuse University’s S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications installed Solid State Logic System T broadcast production platforms, with two 48-fader S500 surfaces and a 32-fader S300 surface.

The university’s athletics teams, known as the Syracuse Orange, have participated in the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) for almost a decade and are members of the NCAA or National Collegiate Athletic Association’s elite Division 1. “We’ve probably had more Tier 1 games than any other school; we produce about 120 games a year for ESPN / ACC Network,” reports Neal Coffey, manager of operations and engineering for Dick Clark Studios and an adjunct professor on the Television, Radio and Film program at the Newhouse School. “We’re almost like a small regional sports network.”

Cover Story: Inside Jaycen Joshua’s Canton House Studios

One System T S500 control surface has been installed in audio control room ACR1 at the school’s Dick Clark Studios, which is named for legendary entertainer and Syracuse University alumnus Dick Clark, who graduated in 1951. The room is used to mix audio for all the facility’s ACC Network game coverage for ESPN as well as student-produced programming for campus cable’s Orange Television Network, such as Live from Studio B, a Sunday night variety show, and also Loud & Clear, a Friday night music show. The second S500 control surface has been integrated into ACR3, a newly constructed audio suite within production control room PCR3. The new room will enable the facility to handle two ESPN games simultaneously for the first time. The S300 is integrated with Ross Overdrive automation in ACR2, which is a fully automated room.

At its most basic, broadcast engineer Tom White says, “The console is very simple, very flexible and allows us to do any type of show—sports, music, studio—and switch between the modes of operation. But it also has a lot of other bells and whistles that you don’t normally get with other consoles right out of the box. As for sound quality, you can’t beat it. I love it.”

ACC News

https://www.si.com/college/georgiat...candidate-for-georgia-state-head-coaching-job (SI; Caudell)

The college football coaching carousel never seems to end and last week.

Last week, Georgia State head coach Shawn Elliott left to take the tight ends job at South Carolina, opening up another FBS head coaching job. Things had been quiet on that search since Elliott left for Columbia, but two names emerged today in a report and one of them is Georgia Tech offensive coordinator Buster Faulkner.

Faulkner's name has come up for other jobs this offseason, but he has remained at Georgia Tech. However, according to The Athletic's Bruce Feldman and Seth Emerson, Faulkner is a strong candidate for the job, along with Georgia running backs coach Dell McGee.

Here is what Emerson and Feldman had to say about Faulkner being a candidate:

"Faulkner, 42, just completed his first season as Georgia Tech’s offensive coordinator. The Yellow Jackets improved from 11th to third in the ACC in offensive yards-per-play and from 13th to fourth in scoring offense. Before that, Faulkner was at Georgia for three years as an offensive analyst, working with Todd Monken.

A native of Lilburn, Ga., Faulkner played quarterback at Valdosta State, where he began his coaching career as a student assistant, then also served as quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator. He eventually rose through the coaching ranks to be the offensive coordinator at Arkansas State (2017-18) and Southern Miss (2019), before joining Georgia’s staff."

https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...otre-dame-football-why-are-they-even-relevant (athlonsports.com; McKinnell)
The College Football Playoff committee approved a new seeding format for the expanded playoff, which puts Notre Dame at a massive disadvantage.

Five automatic bids will be awarded to the five highest-ranked conference champions, which will limit Notre Dame to an at-large bid due to being an independent program. The Fighting Irish will also not be able to receive a top seed and is not eligible for a bye week in the postseason.

ESPN's Stephen A. Smith shared his candid thoughts on Notre Dame's disadvantage with the updated College Football Playoff format on First Take.

"Why are they even relevant?" Smith asked. "The Notre Dame Fighting Irish, in college football, has not won a championship since 1988... If my math is correct, that's 36 years.

“Thirty-six years ago, I was graduating from high school, had an afro, hairline was two feet forward. Are you ready for this? You (Chris Russo) had just started with Mike Francesa on the FAN in New York City. That’s how long ago that was! That’s the last time these brothers were relevant.”

Notre Dame made two appearances in the College Football Playoff, most recently during the 2020 season. The Fighting Irish lost in the semifinals in both postseason appearances.

Could new CFP playoff plan force Notre Dame to join ACC? (jerryratcliffe.com; Ratcliffe)
Now that the College Football Playoff’s board of managers has released the new format for the upcoming 12-team playoff, will the plan force Notre Dame’s hand to join the ACC as a football-playing member?

The CFP’s “5-plus-7” format had to be changed from the original “6-plus-6” with the Pac-12 crumbling, scattering former members to the Big 10, Big 12 and ACC. Instead of automatic playoff bids going to six conference champions, plus the next six highest-ranked at-large teams, it will be automatic bids to five conference champions, followed by the seven highest-ranked at-large teams, as ranked by the CFP.

Under the present format, the top four teams will draw a bye, leaving teams 5-through-12 battling it out in the first round. Those games will be played at the home field of the higher-ranked teams.

How does that impact Notre Dame as an independent? In the new format, the Irish could finish the regular season undefeated, ranked No. 1 in the country and still not receive a bye because they are not a conference member.

Meaning, Notre Dame would have to play four games to win a national title, something the Irish haven’t captured since 1988.

The ACC is there as a lifeline for Notre Dame, which is a member of the conference in every sport except football and ice hockey. Should the Irish join the ACC, they would be eligible to take one of the top four spots in the playoffs.

Certainly the ACC would be the league Notre Dame would join for a variety of reasons, other than already having a home for all its other athletic teams. The Irish signed the same grant of rights contract that other ACC teams — including Florida State — did a few years ago.

Notre Dame was the ACC member that pushed the league the hardest to accept Stanford and Cal for membership when the Pac 12 fell apart. Should the ACC acquire Notre Dame, the conference’s deal with ESPN could be greatly enhanced in its quest to close the financial-compensation gap between itself, the SEC and Big 10.

Should that happen, then Florida State could be more content on remaining in the league rather than threatening to jump ship for a better money deal elsewhere.

Notre Dame already plays five or six ACC schools in football annually as part of its deal with the conference.

It has been reported that ESPN has proposed a six-year, $1.3-billion package to televise the new CFP games, but the CFP has not voted on that plan.

Meanwhile, the CFP briefly discussed an expansion to a 14-team playoff in the future, but even if that is approved, the earliest it could come to fruition would be 2026. The Big 10 is already pushing for a 16-team playoff for the future.

Other

C3RK6GR3OND2PIKZ7HK5IA2ITY.JPG

A temporary sign marks the site where Micron Technology plans to build four massive semiconductor fabrication plants, or fabs, over the next 20 years. Glenn Coin | gcoin@syracuse.comGlenn Coin | gcoin@syracuse.com

Where Micron stands: Release of delayed federal money could unleash Clay project (PS; Coin)
Nearly two years after Congress agreed to give $39 billion to semiconductor companies to bring manufacturing back to the U.S., Micron Technology is still waiting to hear how much it will receive to build a massive chip-making plant in Clay.

Without billions from that federal CHIPS and Science Act, Micron has said, it can’t go forward on what could be a $100 billion complex over the next 20 years. Progress on Micron’s Clay project, announced in October 2022, has slowed recently while the wheels of the U.S Commerce Department grind.

Chip makers like Micron expected these awards six months to a year ago, one industry analyst said. The long wait just feeds local skepticism that remains an undercurrent in the community.

When CenterState CEO, the local business advocacy group, surveyed its members earlier this year on the biggest issues they forecast for the Micron project, the second-highest response was this: That it would never be built.

‘Wait Wait... Don’t Tell Me’ standup comedy show coming to Syracuse (PS; $; Herbert)

Fans of NPR’s “Wait Wait... Don’t Tell Me! Wait Wait” will want to mark their calendars for a new standup comedy show in Syracuse.

“The Wait Wait Stand-Up Tour” will stop at The Oncenter Crouse Hinds Theater on Wednesday, April 24. Comedians who have been panelists on the show will appear on stage starting at 7:30 p.m.

Tickets go on sale Friday, Feb. 23, at 10 a.m. through Ticketmaster or in person at the Solvay Bank Box Office at The Oncenter (760 S. State Street, Syracuse, NY 13202). Prices range from $35 to $99; additional fees may apply.

“Wait Wait... Don’t Tell Me! Wait Wait” is a weekly news quiz show hosted by Peter Sagal and judged by Bill Kurtis for NPR (National Public Radio). Panelists appear on the show to provide funny answers within FCC regulations, but the live shows will feature “unfiltered stand-up comedy.”

According to the tour website, Sagal and Kurtis are not expected to appear at the live shows, as “Wait Wait” regular Alonzo Bodden will host most tour dates.

Panelists appearing in Syracuse have not yet been announced. According to the tour website, notable panelists in the “Wait Wait” roster include Syracuse native Bobcat Goldthwait, Cristela Alonzo, Emmy Blotnick, Adam Burke, Karen Chee, Eugene Cordero, Amy Dickinson (of “Ask Amy”), Peter Grosz, Helen Hong, Maz Jobrani, Zainab Johnson, Tom Papa, Paula Poundstone, Mo Rocca, and Dulce Sloan.