What combo is better for our offense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What combo is better for our offense

Our offense functioned correctly during those runs?

2003 absolutely. 2016 absolutely not. We rarely have a low post guy. When have we been good without a decent PG?

Who was that guy our last three Final Fours?
Melo and Hak posted in 2003.

2013 had a threat in Rak. We didn’t use him.
2016 had a big who could post but was perimeter based in Tyler Lydon but Roberson did all the dirty work.

Our best team in 2010 had AO and Jackson and which prevented defenses from clogging the lanes and made our offense perfectly balanced.

2016 had a big who could post but was perimeter based in Tyler Lydon but Roberson did all the dirty work.

Our best team in 2010 had AO and Jackson and which prevented defenses from clogging the lanes and made our offense perfectly balanced.

Didn’t realize Melo and Hak were bigs.

A guy who can post up helps. No one is questioning that. But what tends to have a bigger impact on NCAAT success? Guard play or big men?

A guy who can post up helps. No one is questioning that. But what tends to have a bigger impact on NCAAT success? Guard play or big men?

Both

2013 we went to the FF cause MCW and Triche were better than every backcourt they faced.

You guys are overrating bigs. The only team I can think of that won with elite bigs recently is Duke with Okafor and UNC in 2017.

Every other team that wins does it on the back of guards.

2013 we went to the FF cause MCW and Triche were better than every backcourt they faced.

You guys are overrating bigs. The only team I can think of that won with elite bigs recently is Duke with Okafor and UNC in 2017.

Hyperbolicious

The answer is obviously Flynn

However, if you switch AO for Rick in ur scenario then I’d have to reconsider.

Do you ever use supporting arguments? Or do you think your uniformed opinion should be taken as fact? BTW Jay Wright says hello.

Why do you assume my opinion is uninformed? I'm working and don't have the time to go Google a bunch of stats. Is that okay with you, ma'am?

I'm clueless as to what Jay Wright has to do with this.

If Carey was that bad I am sorry we either suck at player development or finding fits for whatever system we run.
Freshman should struggle but top 100 kids recruits shouldn’t be that bad and I don’t blame the kid.
We have a major problem at the PG spot though.
Whose to say Goodine will be ready year 1 and he is a combo guard.
Just because you don't blame the kid, doesn't mean everyone else has to accept your premise.

J Carey clearly had difficulty grasping and prioritizing what he needed to do in the role JB wanted- #1 being take care of the ball. The BC game was a travesty for JC, taking a 20 point lead down to 6 was a very bad look. Certainly reasonable to question his coachability and/or bball IQ. It could be a big problem.

If Flynn is the answer then it tells me JB made a mistake not giving Carey more minutes.
Deal with the short term flaws to play the long.
This year’s Frank was not good enough for us not to play Carey.
It sucks now because next year’s PG position is now still a question mark because lord knows we can’t go deep.
I fully recognize the perspective that we needed to give Carey more opportunities to work through his problems. But, seriously, every time he got even a minute, he was a mess. Immediately. Seemingly without having learned lessons from the previous opportunity's mistakes. He was aggressively bad. As much as i'm typically in favor of giving a kid some rope so as to self-exercise some demons, Carey was a liability, and i don't disagree with how JB treated his minutes. I don't know what went on behind the scenes or in practice, though. I think i just read that Carey had been good in practice, but i don't know about which time period JB was referring. That might have been a recent assessment, particular to the run up to the NCAA tournament.

Carey is going to be pretty good. But, right now, he seemed intent on playing at 110% of his capabilities, speed-wise. Like Clint said, "a man's got to know his limitations." Carey looked like he thought the answer to his problems was more speed.

Option 1- Junior Frank Howard and Senior Rick Jackson

Option 2 Sophomore Jonny Flynn and Senior Pascal Chuwku

People are debating the PG vs C as to the bigger problem.
I take option 1 all day long.
Frank isn’t a great PG but if you gave him a legit post player it would open the offense up a lot more.
The opposing big couldn’t just rove around the paint.
It would open driving lanes for the guards and forwards.
Create proper spacing etc.

If you put Flynn with this team our offense would get a lot more in transition and Flynn himself would get to the rim but the opposing bigs would be in his way and the rest of the team would just be relying on him getting them open looks.
I kinda think you've chosen a very interesting set of variables. So close that they'd play into a tie, and then six overtimes. I think i'd pick Rick+Howard, if spliffs are not a part of the simulation. Just because Rick's interior scoring and rebounding would be a more reliable set of factors than Flynn from the outside and trying to penetrate, and then kick to who knows who. Rick would be consistent all by himself. And then add Howard's pretty good 3-point threat... But, i can see it both ways.

We don’t need a big who can post as much as we need a frontcourt player who can post.
Like Tennessee Grant Williams or Admiral Schofeld.
Riu Hachimura.

Or for us Hak Warrick.
We need a frontcourt player we can just throw the ball to and have him get some buckets.

We don’t need a big who can post as much as we need a frontcourt player who can post.
Like Tennessee Grant Williams or Admiral Schofeld.
Riu Hachimura.

Or for us Hak Warrick.
We need a frontcourt player we can just throw the ball to and have him get some buckets.

Sure we could use that. IMO what we are lacking most is a “Syracuse Forward” which I always felt was the key to our team. When was that last time we had one, Fair?

Fair, Joseph, Wes, DNic, Hak, Melo, Shumpert, Blackwell, Burgan, Wallace, Dave Johnson, Owens, DC, Addison, Routins, Orr

The years we don’t have a guy like this we haven’t done well.

Easily option 1, though I'm not sure the player combos given are as balanced as they could be

I don’t see Duke posting with Zion or Bolden.

UNC isn’t posting Luke Maye. He’s a rim runner and shoots outside.

UVA relies on skill.

Edelin and Gmac were huge in 03. Just as important as Hak.

The post game is mostly dead. I agree with a lot of what you post, but you overrate post play in this era.

I don’t see Duke posting with Zion or Bolden.

UNC isn’t posting Luke Maye. He’s a rim runner and shoots outside.

UVA relies on skill.

Edelin and Gmac were huge in 03. Just as important as Hak.

The post game is mostly dead. I agree with a lot of what you post, but you overrate post play in this era.
Zion destroyed us posting in the ACCT.

You need somebody who you can throw the ball to in the post get buckets.
It’s just so the opposing big can’t be a roaming free safety in the paint.
I am not saying you need a Shaq but you need a Lydon or Warrick.

Zion destroyed us posting in the ACCT.

You need somebody who you can throw the ball to in the post get buckets.
It’s just so the opposing big can’t be a roaming free safety in the paint.
I am not saying you need a Shaq but you need a Lydon or Warrick.

Fans like to talk about Lydons pump fakes at the 3 point line, but the problem Lydon’s second year was he was open in the post all season and Gillon was to small to find him. Drove me crazy.

Indiana's backcourt was probably better they just couldn't play against the zone.