What could have been... | Syracusefan.com

What could have been...

Sherman20

2018 Iggy Leading Scorer Winner
I'm not throwing in the towel on this season by any means. With JB at the helm, I wouldn't be surprised if he's able to mold this year's team into a decent squad that can contend for an NCAA tourney bid. However, think how much more bullish we'd all be about this season if we'd just landed Quade Green and Jordan Tucker. (We finished a close 2nd in both sweepstakes and only because Calipari moved on from PG Trae Young when it appeared he might stay home and play for Oklahoma and because Kevin Knox spurned Duke for U.K.). Imagine a starting lineup of Quade, Battle, Tucker, Brissett and Thompson, with Moyer, Howard, Dolezaj and Sidibe/Chukwu off the bench. That's a young lineup but could have easily been a top 4 ACC contender by season's end (and I think Thompson wouldn't have transferred). Goes to show you how one or two key recruits can make a huge difference. That said, if Brissett can develop into a freshman star, if Frank Howard Washington and Geno Thorpe can ably man the PG spot and also contribute scoring, if Moyer, Dolezaj and Sidibe can step up, and if the overall defense improves from last year, we could end up being pretty good. Lots of question marks but also a fair amount of upside. Thankfully JB and the staff seem to have gotten recruiting back on track. Let's hope it continues.

RF2044 I am anxiously waiting for your early season breakdown. Thanks to Sherman20 for opening up space for this debate. I am very perplexed about what will happen this year. Very tired of the 7-11 place finishes we have become accustomed to in the ACC. Syracuse should be top 5 almost every year. I realize sanctions have played a part, but it be nice to rise up sooner rather than later. Tough to see Duke pull in the Duvals, Bagley's, and then lock up Cam Reddish for 2018 already. Love Bazley, and hope our ability to finish well above the bubble comes back in spades, asap.

RF2044 I am anxiously waiting for your early season breakdown. Thanks to Sherman20 for opening up space for this debate. I am very perplexed about what will happen this year. Very tired of the 7-11 place finishes we have become accustomed to in the ACC. Syracuse should be top 5 almost every year. I realize sanctions have played a part, but it be nice to rise up sooner rather than later. Tough to see Duke pull in the Duvals, Bagley's, and then lock up Cam Reddish for 2018 already. Love Bazley, and hope our ability to finish well above the bubble comes back in spades, asap.

We should expect to be top 4 every year. UNC, Duke, Louisville, and Cuse...that's the top 4 programs in the league, so that's where I expect us to finish.

I think we are on our way towards that. 2019 roster seems to be shaping up as one that can do that.

Also if we got Brandon Randolph, or tried recruiting Lonnie Walker...
Right on. Getting either Randolph or Tucker would have been huge. We didn't need both and probably wouldn't have gone for Tucker in the spring if we'd just landed Randolph in the fall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom