What did a season full of playing up tempo really mean? | Syracusefan.com

What did a season full of playing up tempo really mean?

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
During the 2011 season we ran a total of 814 pass and rush attempts. Over 12 games, that averages out to 67.8 plays per game. Over the course of the season we gained 4178 total yards, for an average of 5.1 yards per play.

This past season we ran a total of 939 pass and rush attempts. Over 12 games, that averages out to 78.3 plays per game. Over the course of the season we gained 5681 total yards, for an average of 6.1 yards per play.

The thing that jumps out to me is that we averaged one more yard per play. One more yard per play makes getting first downs easier. After that, the rest of the game takes care of itself.

One other note - Nassib has been sacked at a lower percentage of his drop backs this season from last, and was sacked fewer times overall. I expect that is partly a function of his own improvement in the pocket, partly because he's gotten better blocking, and partly because the no huddle has prevented defenses from being able to organize.

seems weird that we only avg 12 more plays a game when it seemed we were moving it so much better.. of course those 12 plays meant an additional 1500 yards or 125 a game.

it really showed in a game like today where we ran like 7-8 plays in the first quarter, shut it down in the 4th quarter and still managed to gain almost 500 yards

seems weird that we only avg 12 more plays a game when it seemed we were moving it so much better.. of course those 12 plays meant an additional 1500 yards or 125 a game.

it really showed in a game like today where we ran like 7-8 plays in the first quarter, shut it down in the 4th quarter and still managed to gain almost 500 yards
12 plays is a lot

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I know 12 is a lot, its an increase of 15-20%. 3 plays a quarter doesnt seem like a huge increase, but it shows it is.

I know 12 is a lot, its an increase of 15-20%. 3 plays a quarter doesnt seem like a huge increase, but it shows it is.
I like to think of it like we had 125 more chances to score touchdowns this season than last.

Not surprisingly, our offense scored 10 more TDs than it did last season.

it means we got more reps for returning players --- that is good enough for me

it means we got more reps for returning players --- that is good enough for me
Also true, and also should tie into recruiting.

We set records for passing this season. And we ran it more by percentage than we did the previous season.

Let that sink in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom