What do people know about Maryland? | Syracusefan.com

What do people know about Maryland?

TheOkieOrangeman

2nd String
Aside from knowing they are 15-12? I haven't seen them play this year. None of SU's wins seem to come easily.

We have some pretty good players, but the team doesn't really fit well together.

PG: Seth Allen, Roddy Peters

Seth is more of a combo and a very streaky shooter. If he is on we have a chance if not we are in serious trouble because Peters isn't ready for high level ball yet. He'll play 4-5 minutes and probably turn it over a couple times.

Wing: Dez Wells, Jake Layman, Nick Faust

Dez is our best and most consistent player. He's a beast in transition and will probably play in the high post tomorrow. He has a very nice midrange game but sometimes makes bad decisions with the ball so he obviously has to be better at that tomorrow. Jake is 6'10 and very talented but some games just completely disappears. He's played well lately though and is generally better at home. Faust is our 6th man and is very athletic and our only above average defender. He may be the streakiest shooter in the country (and he's usually cold).

Bigs: Charles Mitchell, Evan Smotrycz, Jonathan Graham, Shaq Cleare, Damonte Dodd

This is our biggest weakness. Mitchell is a decent offensive player and a great offensive rebounder but plays no defense. Smotrycz was supposed to be able to shoot but hasn't really shown it. He also plays no defense. Graham hustles and plays hard but he is just not talented at all. Cleare was highly recruited and was a bust. Dodd is almost 7 feet and a good athlete but as a freshman just hasn't really learned the game yet.

Defensively our base is a man to man but we'll mix in a 1-3-1 that has been pretty effective recently and we've shown a press but I doubt we'll use it since as far as I can tell you guys take care of the ball well.

We have some pretty good players, but the team doesn't really fit well together.

Seth is more of a combo and a very streaky shooter. If he is on we have a chance if not we are in serious trouble because Peters isn't ready for high level ball yet. He'll play 4-5 minutes and probably turn it over a couple times.

Dez is our best and most consistent player. He's a beast in transition and will probably play in the high post tomorrow. He has a very nice midrange game but sometimes makes bad decisions with the ball so he obviously has to be better at that tomorrow. Jake is 6'10 and very talented but some games just completely disappears. He's played well lately though and is generally better at home. Faust is our 6th man and is very athletic and our only above average defender. He may be the streakiest shooter in the country (and he's usually cold).

Bigs: Charles Mitchell, Evan Smotrycz, Jonathan Graham, Shaq Cleare, Damonte Dodd

This is our biggest weakness. Mitchell is a decent offensive player and a great offensive rebounder but plays no defense. Smotrycz was supposed to be able to shoot but hasn't really shown it. He also plays no defense. Graham hustles and plays hard but he is just not talented at all. Cleare was highly recruited and was a bust. Dodd is almost 7 feet and a good athlete but as a freshman just hasn't really learned the game yet.

Defensively our base is a man to man but we'll mix in a 1-3-1 that has been pretty effective recently and we've shown a press but I doubt we'll use it since as far as I can tell you guys take care of the ball well.
Are you happy to be going to the B1G.

They are always due for a huge home victory. Really hoping that's not tomorrow.

Are you happy to be going to the B1G.

I am. This league has a Carolina and Duke obsession and it becomes intolerable over time. Obviously the tournament being in Greensboro and the preferential treatment they get from refs is bad but even little things they do are frustrating. For instance, Maryland and UVA were the longest running season ending game in the country, with UNC/Duke being second. Randomly one season the ACC went away from that and sure enough later that year they start hyping up UNC/Duke as the longest running season ending rivalry in the country. I loved the traditional 9 team ACC and the double round robin but now that that is long gone and the powers in Greensboro decided Pitt (who we'd played I think three times ever before this season) would be our "rival" any semblance of tradition was gone. I'm also one of the few who thinks our football will be better off in the Big Ten where we'll have a big advantage at the skill positions over a lot of teams and our baseball team will actually have a chance to compete. It'll take some getting used to, but it was the right move.

(I might feel differently if I was a big lacrosse fan, but I just never really got into it)

Thanks for the detailed breakdown of your personnel.

Hmmm, what do I know about Maryland...

I know they're going to be the B1Gs version of Rutgers...oh, wait. Well, I guess they'll have two Rutgers now. Maybe the most ridiculous defection to happen in college sports thus far. :(

I am. This league has a Carolina and Duke obsession and it becomes intolerable over time. Obviously the tournament being in Greensboro and the preferential treatment they get from refs is bad but even little things they do are frustrating. For instance, Maryland and UVA were the longest running season ending game in the country, with UNC/Duke being second. Randomly one season the ACC went away from that and sure enough later that year they start hyping up UNC/Duke as the longest running season ending rivalry in the country. I loved the traditional 9 team ACC and the double round robin but now that that is long gone and the powers in Greensboro decided Pitt (who we'd played I think three times ever before this season) would be our "rival" any semblance of tradition was gone. I'm also one of the few who thinks our football will be better off in the Big Ten where we'll have a big advantage at the skill positions over a lot of teams and our baseball team will actually have a chance to compete. It'll take some getting used to, but it was the right move.

(I might feel differently if I was a big lacrosse fan, but I just never really got into it)

Why won' you blame yourselves and UVa for not putting forth a good product on the hardwood for that period, or at least something close to UNC-Duke? After that couple of year run Maryland, in such a hoops hotbed, couldn't recruit or develop anyone.

We've been in this conference for a year and we're constantly in the headlines.

Why won' you blame yourselves and UVa for not putting forth a good product on the hardwood for that period, or at least something close to UNC-Duke? After that couple of year run Maryland, in such a hoops hotbed, couldn't recruit or develop anyone.

We've been in this conference for a year and we're constantly in the headlines.

Trust me, this is nothing new. I think basically Maryland gets the national respect (or lackthereof) that it deserves. Syracuse will too as long as it keeps winning. It's respect from within the conference that's been hard to come by. And just speaking for myself, I couldn't care less if Maryland/UVA is played as the final game of the season (although that tradition was ended while Maryland was still very much in national prominence), or if the annual series is done by February 12. But it should be played twice. It's one of the oldest rivalries in the conference.

I could even begrudgingly accept that it made some sense for UVA to be paired with VT. Although I think if you asked most UVA people (prior to Maryland announcing its departure), they would have preferred Maryland as their rival as well. That said, the conference giving us Pitt was a final straw for me. We've almost never played Pitt. There are seven ACC teams with which we have solid rivalries dating back over 30 years at minimum. Any one of them would have been tolerable. Not to mention that Pitt/Cuse and BC/ND seemed like natural choices (remember this all went down before Louisville came in the picture).

What Maryland did by moving to the Big 10 was best for Maryland economically, and it certainly won't hurt competitively. I am a Maryland alum and grew up in an ACC household, with parents who attended UVA and UNC and a grandfather who taught at Wake. I will always miss the round robin ACC and will always be proud that we won the last "real" ACC Tournament before Swofford raided the Big East for VT, BC and Miami in 2004. But in today's world, I'm thrilled with the decision Maryland made. I'm also hopeful that we continue a series with Syracuse, among other current ACC teams, and maybe a few of you join us in the Big 10 down the road sometime...

That doesn't really answer the question about our team this year haha. But it's a Maryland fan perspective on the conference move.

Trust me, this is nothing new. I think basically Maryland gets the national respect (or lackthereof) that it deserves. Syracuse will too as long as it keeps winning. It's respect from within the conference that's been hard to come by. And just speaking for myself, I couldn't care less if Maryland/UVA is played as the final game of the season (although that tradition was ended while Maryland was still very much in national prominence), or if the annual series is done by February 12. But it should be played twice. It's one of the oldest rivalries in the conference.

I could even begrudgingly accept that it made some sense for UVA to be paired with VT. Although I think if you asked most UVA people (prior to Maryland announcing its departure), they would have preferred Maryland as their rival as well. That said, the conference giving us Pitt was a final straw for me. We've almost never played Pitt. There are seven ACC teams with which we have solid rivalries dating back over 30 years at minimum. Any one of them would have been tolerable. Not to mention that Pitt/Cuse and BC/ND seemed like natural choices (remember this all went down before Louisville came in the picture).

What Maryland did by moving to the Big 10 was best for Maryland economically, and it certainly won't hurt competitively. I am a Maryland alum and grew up in an ACC household, with parents who attended UVA and UNC and a grandfather who taught at Wake. I will always miss the round robin ACC and will always be proud that we won the last "real" ACC Tournament before Swofford raided the Big East for VT, BC and Miami in 2004. But in today's world, I'm thrilled with the decision Maryland made. I'm also hopeful that we continue a series with Syracuse, among other current ACC teams, and maybe a few of you join us in the Big 10 down the road sometime...

That doesn't really answer the question about our team this year haha. But it's a Maryland fan perspective on the conference move.
Isn't Rutgers slated to be your rival in the B1G ? I hope you get treated better by the Chicago Machine than you felt you did by Tabacky Road , but to me it seems like you took the devil's bargain.

Isn't Rutgers slated to be your rival in the B1G ? I hope you get treated better by the Chicago Machine than you felt you did by Tabacky Road , but to me it seems like you took the devil's bargain.

I could very well be wrong but I haven't heard that. I mean obviously no one is going to be a rival to the extent that Virginia or Duke or UNC was right when Maryland gets started in the league. It has the foundation of a decent rivalry with Michigan State based on some tournament games over the past decade. I recall a few great Big10/ACC challenge games with Wisconsin and Illinois. And Maryland played Indiana in the title game in 2002 so there's a little history there. Football-wise, Rutgers is probably a fair comparison to be honest. There is a historical rivalry with Penn State (mainly of them beating us, but it was pretty heated between the fanbases so if things even out a bit on the field it could be great).

If the Terps are good, rivalries will form naturally. I'm not too worried about that. My point was that the ACC told UMD before we even left that they didn't value the existing rivalries, that had been formed over 35-60 years of annual games, mostly twice a year in basketball. So if they didn't value them, why should Maryland?

When it boils down to it, would we be doing this if Debbie Yow hadn't left the athletics department in such an economic shambles? Maybe not. But regardless, I view the Big 10 as a lateral move at worst, major step up at best in every factor except "tradition" (economically, competitively, geographically, media exposure, recruiting), and the ACC was already shoving our most traditional rivalries aside so why not?

I could very well be wrong but I haven't heard that. I mean obviously no one is going to be a rival to the extent that Virginia or Duke or UNC was right when Maryland gets started in the league. It has the foundation of a decent rivalry with Michigan State based on some tournament games over the past decade. I recall a few great Big10/ACC challenge games with Wisconsin and Illinois. And Maryland played Indiana in the title game in 2002 so there's a little history there. Football-wise, Rutgers is probably a fair comparison to be honest. There is a historical rivalry with Penn State (mainly of them beating us, but it was pretty heated between the fanbases so if things even out a bit on the field it could be great).

If the Terps are good, rivalries will form naturally. I'm not too worried about that. My point was that the ACC told UMD before we even left that they didn't value the existing rivalries, that had been formed over 35-60 years of annual games, mostly twice a year in basketball. So if they didn't value them, why should Maryland?

When it boils down to it, would we be doing this if Debbie Yow hadn't left the athletics department in such an economic shambles? Maybe not. But regardless, I view the Big 10 as a lateral move at worst, major step up at best in every factor except "tradition" (economically, competitively, geographically, media exposure, recruiting), and the ACC was already shoving our most traditional rivalries aside so why not?
Syracuse - Maryland - Penn State - long time Eastern Rivals. Why can't somebody put that Conference together?

Syracuse - Maryland - Penn State - long time Eastern Rivals. Why can't somebody put that Conference together?

I'm glad we are continuing our FB series, hopefully we do the same with basketball after a year or two. And frankly this is a discussion for a different thread, but I'm not convinced a few ACC teams (Syracuse being a prime candidate) won't be targeted by the Big 10 when the Grant of Rights expires.

I'm glad we are continuing our FB series, hopefully we do the same with basketball after a year or two. And frankly this is a discussion for a different thread, but I'm not convinced a few ACC teams (Syracuse being a prime candidate) won't be targeted by the Big 10 when the Grant of Rights expires.
Yeah, I was mostly being facetious. That ship sailed back in 1979.

Why would Syracuse to be subsumed into the B1G ? ACC is our natural home. Relations travel up and down the eastern seaboard , but I don't know anyone west of Buffalo , and I live in CNY. Route 95 is the ACC"s main street and 81 is our bypass.

Why would Syracuse to be subsumed into the B1G ? ACC is our natural home. Relations travel up and down the eastern seaboard , but I don't know anyone west of Buffalo , and I live in CNY. Route 95 is the ACC"s main street and 81 is our bypass.

I didn't mean to derail the thread. I still am of the school of thought that eventually we will be looking at four superconferences in bigtime college athletics, and either the Big XII or the ACC would suffer the same fate as the Big East. If Notre Dame can ever be convinced to come on board full time, then all bets are off. But if not, the conference is still very much in jeopardy once the Grant of Rights expires. Most of the individual schools in the ACC would have natural fit somewhere else, and under that scenario Syracuse seems a good fit for the Big 10. Didn't mean anything more by it than that, I'm not suggesting Syracuse isn't in a good place for it right now.

ACC was our natural home too, but things change...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom