What does the power 7 mean in cbb? | Syracusefan.com

What does the power 7 mean in cbb?

clayman32

JNCuse Ryder Cup 12 Questions Trophy Winner
Spectrum's guide description of the Arizona/uconn game says "two power 7 teams square off as the huskies visit the wildcats at the mckale center." Lol never have heard of the power 7 before. Seems like a wishful uconn fan is employed by spectrum

Spectrum's guide description of the Arizona/uconn game says "two power 7 teams square off as the huskies visit the wildcats at the mckale center." Lol never have heard of the power 7 before. Seems like a wishful uconn fan is employed by spectrum

The power 7 includes the American I would think. I have never heard the term however, and I think it's being very generous to the American to include them in the same group as the other 6. It is true they are #7, but it is a disingenuous classification.

The one you hear must often if the P5. I started using a term the last few years called the P5+BE , but I have never really heard a P6 in the media either or an effort to put the Big East in the same group. The Big East is usually in the middle of the group of 6, typically better than a few of those conferences each year so they belong in the discussion.

So basically in college basketball a P6 makes sense, because the Big East is always somewhere around #3 to #6 in prior years.

But calling a P7, when the American is basically always #7 is really disingenuous. The American is more the top team in a group of the American, A10, MWC, and MVC. If anything they are the "Next 4". Conferences that will usually get multiple bids (2-4) in any given year, and above the other mid-majors. Although the MWC and MVC have lacked their lustre from where they were 5 years ago.

upload_2017-12-21_23-37-26.png

It is like a participation trophy. A ribbon for last place. A gold star when you finally learned how to color between the lines.

I noticed the same thing, very odd indeed.

It was a term made up to entice Wichita State to join the American.

Maybe?

Power 7 comes from the same marketing brain trust that gave us:
The 6th Borough, & The Civil Conflict rivalry Trophy. :rolleyes:

It's a dopey play from teams in those two fringe conferences to pass themselves off as a big league conference, when in fact they are on the outside looking in.

I was under the impression that Spectrum was made up entirely of UConn & Rutty grads.