What excites me the most about this ACC move... | Syracusefan.com

What excites me the most about this ACC move...

Eric15

Living Legend
Being able to play Virginia Tech in the Dome again. We had an unbelievable rivalry with them in the 90s and early 2000s, and the 1998 and 2002 games are probably two of the half dozen most exciting games in the history of the Dome. They have a tremendously loyal fanbase which always traveled thousands of people which just adds to the atmosphere.

Yea I'm bummed we didn't end up in the other division - would have liked playing Miami and vt every year

Once every seven years

I think it's once every six years, which is really just splitting hairs. But unfortunately, that means once every 12 years in the dome.

Yeah... We are not rekindling any rivalries playing them once a decade. Hell, they were already on our future schedules at a higher rate than that.

We play 3 games against the other division every year. One of those games always against Pitt. That leaves 6 teams and 2 games per year. We will play each team once very 3 years, which means once very 6 years in the dome. Definitely sucks. Which we could play vt and Miami more. Hopefully well see them in the championship game every now and then.

I think it's once every six years, which is really just splitting hairs. But unfortunately, that means once every 12 years in the dome.

This is why the ACC should have pods. Even with the current 14 teams, you could have two old-ACC four team pods, plus two old-BE three team pods. Alternative the two permutations every year, use the two OOD games to preserve rivalries. The old-ACC teams would play other conference members at least once every three years that way. Old-BE teams would play everybody once every two years.

We play 3 games against the other division every year. One of those games always against Pitt. That leaves 6 teams and 2 games per year. We will play each team once very 3 years, which means once very 6 years in the dome. Definitely sucks. Which we could play vt and Miami more. Hopefully well see them in the championship game every now and then.
The ACC has changed back to an 8-game schedule. 6 vs your own division, one against your traditional crossover partner (Pitt), and one rotating among the other 6 teams in the other division. So, we will play VT (and Miami, etc.) once every 6 years; once every 12 years at home.

When the ACC was planning on a nine game schedule, that was true. But when ND got involved, the ACC decided to go to an eight game schedule; hence, SU will play only two teams from the other division each year (Pitt and one other team). SU will play VT and Miami twice every twelve years or once every twelve years at home.

It doesnt suck we could be playing Uconn every year along with the rest of Sun Beast.

The way they have it definitely needs to be tweaked. Playing a conference team once every 6 doesn't cut it. Playing them once every 3 years is much more feasible.

How about this solution: Every year you sacrifice playing a team from your own division (rotating) to play an extra cross division game. Of course it would suck when your biggest rival is the team you have to skip, but it would only be once every six years. Or figure out a way to protect rivalries. Maybe juggle the divisions so your biggest rival is in the other division and your yearly crossover game.

Thoughts?

Can't wait...

Last conference game in the dome against them there was a hoke-billy family in row in front me... They even brought their toddler.

They were annoying and loud but tolerable until mom hoke-billy decided to change toddler's diaper on her bench seat... treated the whole section to wafting ass.

...bunched up the diaper and left it under her seat like an empty drink cup when they left...

Absolutely classless.

Can't wait...

Last conference game in the dome against them there was a hoke-billy family in row in front me... They even brought their toddler.

They were annoying and loud but tolerable until mom hoke-billy decided to change toddler's diaper on her bench seat... treated the whole section to wafting ass.

...bunched up the diaper and left it under her seat like an empty drink cup when they left...

Absolutely classless.

i don't know whether to laugh or get sick

This is why the ACC should have pods. Even with the current 14 teams, you could have two old-ACC four team pods, plus two old-BE three team pods. Alternative the two permutations every year, use the two OOD games to preserve rivalries. The old-ACC teams would play other conference members at least once every three years that way. Old-BE teams would play everybody once every two years.
VT Miami and BC have no desire to play in an "old-BE pod"

Can't wait...

Absolutely classless.

No way. That's unbelievable. I think I would have kicked it from under the seat onto her shoes.

The way they have it definitely needs to be tweaked. Playing a conference team once every 6 doesn't cut it. Playing them once every 3 years is much more feasible.

How about this solution: Every year you sacrifice playing a team from your own division (rotating) to play an extra cross division game. Of course it would suck when your biggest rival is the team you have to skip, but it would only be once every six years. Or figure out a way to protect rivalries. Maybe juggle the divisions so your biggest rival is in the other division and your yearly crossover game.

Thoughts?

not doable as ncaa mandates you play everyone in your division. Keeping 8 game schedule the only solution is to get rid of permanent cross over by adjusting the divisions.

What if we played Pitt every other year instead of every year?

Year 1: Pitt and GT.

Year 2: Duke and Miami.

Year 3: Pitt and UVa.

Year 4: UNC and VaTech.

We'd see every team once every 4 years instead of 6, and get a home game once every 8 years instead of 12.

VT Miami and BC have no desire to play in an "old-BE pod"

OK, they can be the new-ACC pod, and Pitt-Syracuse-Louisville can be the new-new-ACC pod. :)

Anyway, each division will still be composed of four circa-1991 ACC teams (i.e. the Coastal 4 or the Atlantic 4), plus three former BE teams. The only difference is that you cycle through two divisional combinations instead of having the same one every year.

With a 4x4 pod format, there are three different potential combinations.

I really hate pods but after trying to redo the divisions it seems impossible to get all teams to agree on reworked divisions.

for balance these would make sense for 16 teams(9 game schedule though so you keep 1 permanent cross over);

Atlantic:-------------------------------------------Coastal:
Florida State--------------------------------------Miami
Georgia Tech-------------------------------------Pittsburgh
Clemson-------------------------------------------Virginia
Louisville------------------------------------------Syracuse
Boston College------------------------------------Virginia Tech
16th Team-----------------------------------------Notre Dame
NC State-------------------------------------------North Carolina
Wake Forest---------------------------------------Duke

I know I'm in the minority on this and I know many posters on here believe that VATech and Miami are where we want to be, but I believe we are better off with Clemson and FSU.

1) VATech is, and has been, essentially a paper tiger. Beamer used weak scheduling to build his record. His greatest years are when the league big boys were own. I'm not convinced that VATech will be back to the top of the ACC on a long term basis. Rutgers merely copied his formula. I'm not sure Beamer will be around much longer, either.
2) Miami is Miami. Can they win without cheating? This remains to be seen. Lately, they can't win with cheating (I think they were copying UNC).
3) Clemson is the historic big dog in the ACC. This is pre-FSU, but they ruled the roost, for the most part.
4) Since joining the ACC, FSU has been the biggest of the big dogs.
5) VATech does not consider us their rival, though we have had many good games, they hate UVA, WVU and Miami, two which they still play.
6) Miami never saw us as a rival.
7) Clemson and FSU are a clean slate, no significant history there.
8) Clemson and FSU are built to dominate for a long time.
9) We have been rebuilding a tough program. HCDM did very well to put us on solid footing.
10) HCSS will continue our return to ranked footfall (not there yet, but the CFB world is watching).
11) We are the only team that will be tough enough to put a hurt on Clemson or FSU. We may not win, but they will remember us. When SU and PSU renewed the old rivalry, Paterno commented on how hard Syracuse was hitting. We've only improved, offensively and defensively.

Anyway, I think in the long run, we will benefit more by not being "old Big East" and playing more against the historical powers. Just my take.

What if we played Pitt every other year instead of every year?

Year 1: Pitt and GT.

Year 2: Duke and Miami.

Year 3: Pitt and UVa.

Year 4: UNC and VaTech.

We'd see every team once every 4 years instead of 6, and get a home game once every 8 years instead of 12.
Pitt is our cross over opponent for the foreseeable future. Unless Miami-Florida State and NC State-North Carolina are in the same division the ACC is going to need guaranteed cross-over games to get these matchups each year. While I wouldn't mind rotating Pitt with the other Coastal team a lot more without the ACC having a 9 game schedule its going to be every Coastal team at the Dome every 6 years. I wouldn't mind when Louisville comes in 2014 that Georgia Tech joins the Atlantic and Louisville joins the Coastal.

I know I'm in the minority on this and I know many posters on here believe that VATech and Miami are where we want to be, but I believe we are better off with Clemson and FSU.

11) We are the only team that will be tough enough to put a hurt on Clemson or FSU. We may not win, but they will remember us. When SU and PSU renewed the old rivalry, Paterno commented on how hard Syracuse was hitting. We've only improved, offensively and defensively.

Anyway, I think in the long run, we will benefit more by not being "old Big East" and playing more against the historical powers. Just my take.

To me, that's Syracuse football. Hard hitting in the trenches. Smash mouth football.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom