What excites me the most about this ACC move... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What excites me the most about this ACC move...

As a Hokie fan I would LOVE to renew the old Syracuse rivalry. I would like to see Syracuse and Ga Tech swap divisions. That would put SU, Pitt, VT, VA, UNC, Duke and Miami in the same division. SU could have BC as cross-over partner (since you'd be playing Pitt in division), and the others could partner like this:

Atl - Coa
BC - SU
CU - VT
UL - VA
NCS -UNC
WF - Duke
GT - Pitt
FSU - Miami

Now, who isn't happy with that?

As a Hokie fan I would LOVE to renew the old Syracuse rivalry. I would like to see Syracuse and Ga Tech swap divisions. That would put SU, Pitt, VT, VA, UNC, Duke and Miami in the same division. SU could have BC as cross-over partner (since you'd be playing Pitt in division), and the others could partner like this:

Atl - Coa
BC - SU
CU - VT
UL - VA
NCS -UNC
WF - Duke
GT - Pitt
FSU - Miami

all us Syracuse fans living in Atlanta - we want SU and GT in the same division dammit ;)

Atl - Coa
BC - SU
CU - VT
UL - VA
NCS -UNC
WF - Duke
GT - Pitt
FSU - Miami

Pretty lopsided for basketball season...

Atl - Coa
BC - SU
CU - VT
UL - VA
NCS -UNC
WF - Duke
GT - Pitt
FSU - Miami

This is a good solution the only complaint would be from North Carolina they have a ton of Atlanta alums like Va. Tech does and they love that Georgia Tech game and I doubt they would like losing Atlanta for Syracuse every 2 years. If Syracuse and Pitt were switched the conference would have done a better job. However, Syracuse fans are excited we will be playing one of Florida State or Clemson at home each year.

I'll be in my 60s for that 3rd Dome game. :noidea:

Cool, that must mean we're playing them in the Dome more frequently than I thought.

not doable as ncaa mandates you play everyone in your division. Keeping 8 game schedule the only solution is to get rid of permanent cross over by adjusting the divisions.

It's a definite problem, with no easy solution. FSU has always had a problem with this, because GT is our geographically closest rival, and we never play them. It's a bad setup. But as a Florida State guy, the 9 game schedule isn't appealing at all.

I'm also in favor of splitting north/south (mostly) and eliminating the cross division rival. I hate the cross division rivals.

South: Miami, FSU, GT, Clemson, UNC, NCSU, Duke
North: VT, UVA, Louisville, BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Wake

There are two big problems with that. One is breaking Wake off of the North Carolina schools. But playing two across divisions, they would play one of them most years. And I don't want to be a dick, but they are Wake. Yes, Wake has more than held their own with FSU in recent years, but they aren't going to carry this conference. If Wake is winning, the conference has more serious issues than reallignment. The consolation is they would be in a more winnable division.

The bigger problem is competitive balance and not "sharing" the prime recruiting grounds. I get that. But I don't have a big problem with the competitive imbalance, even though FSU would draw a tougher road than say Syracuse. I believe that eventually it would strengthen the northern schools. I don't think it's unrealistic that Syracuse can go 10-2 in that division. And I believe that 10-2 is a better recruiting tool than 6-6 but getting a game in Florida and a game in North Carolina. I'm not saying you can never do better than 6-6 in a tough division. Only that theoretically, the same team that goes 6-6 or 7-5 in the South might be able to go 10-2 or 9-3 in the North. Records matter in getting respect. Given some time, I think that would even out a lot more. Besides, the north would still have the team that dominated the last ten years of the ACC in VT, and the team with the arguably best athletic department in the conference in Louisville.

I think it's something reasonable people can disagree about, but that's my opinion.

Atl - Coa
BC - SU
CU - VT
UL - VA
NCS -UNC
WF - Duke
GT - Pitt
FSU - Miami

Guys...HokieMark is an excellent poster from csnbbs.com He has one of the best ACC blogs out there. BTW, I think that split up of divisions would be good for Cuse and wouldn't mind it at all.

Pods, gotta have pods. Otherwise, the ACC will just be two separate leagues that share a TV contract. Might as well do the ACC-BE split if that is what has to happen.

Basketball too, but maybe with more geographical pod membership. 14 game home-and-home regular season with 4 interdivisional preseason games to preserve rivalries and create compelling matchups (i.e a two game divisional challenge series where opponents are seeded).

Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I'd like a North / South split (and man, I can't tell you how upset I am that Maryland is leaving!!).

This is my "Dream ACC" maybe when ND goes in whole hog:

North:

Penn State
Notre Dame
Boston College
Syracuse
Pitt
Maryland
Virginia
Virginia Tech

South:

Florida State
Miami
Clemson
Ga. Tech
Louisville
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Duke

This is how you maximize the value of your natural regional rivalries. This is how you control travel costs, and make the fans more able to visit opposing stadiums. That builds rivalries, too. Being able to actually travel to the opponent's stadium.

Then you think about how arbs is talking about the regionalization of these league-specific networks, and how they break up their programming. Well, doesn't the regional model make the most sense there, too? And this type of league structure would generate the most fan interest, because it's the teams that you WANT to play!

Sure, there may be some competitive imbalance in one sport or the other for one division or the other. You can make an argument for swapping Virginia Tech and Miami in this lineup above. But over time, these things even out. Look at how Miami and Va Tech are competitive in ACC basketball when they flat out sucked in the Big East. This makes too much sense, really, from a true fan's perspective. And if you are a smart TV programming exec, you should see the market moving this way, too. It makes too much sense.

If ND and PSU are in, I would agree with the North/South split. Until ND joins fully, I would rather the current set up. We definitely do NOT want the OBE (North)/OACC (South) split in the current ACC. The media would never let up on it. With ND and PSU in the North, that perception is changed completely.

Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I'd like a North / South split (and man, I can't tell you how upset I am that Maryland is leaving!!).

North:

Penn State
Notre Dame
Boston College
Syracuse
Pitt
Maryland
Virginia
Virginia Tech

South:

Florida State
Miami
Clemson
Ga. Tech
Louisville
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Duke

This is how you maximize the value of your natural regional rivalries. This is how you control travel costs, and make the fans more able to visit opposing stadiums. That builds rivalries, too. Being able to actually travel to the opponent's stadium.

Then you think about how arbs is talking about the regionalization of these league-specific networks, and how they break up their programming. Well, doesn't the regional model make the most sense there, too? And this type of league structure would generate the most fan interest, because it's the teams that you WANT to play!

Sure, there may be some competitive imbalance in one sport or the other for one division or the other. You can make an argument for swapping Virginia Tech and Miami in this lineup above. But over time, these things even out. Look at how Miami and Va Tech are competitive in ACC basketball when they flat out sucked in the Big East. This makes too much sense, really, from a true fan's perspective. And if you are a smart TV programming exec, you should see the market moving this way, too. It makes too much sense.

What are you doing with Wake Forest here?

Also, from a football standpoint we need to recruit Florida so FSU and Miami need to be split so we play there once a year.

What are you doing with Wake Forest here?

Also, from a football standpoint we need to recruit Florida so FSU and Miami need to be split so we play there once a year.

I'm dumping them. OK, so swap Miami and Va Tech.

North:

Penn State
Notre Dame
Boston College
Syracuse
Pitt
Maryland
Virginia
Virginia Tech

South:

Florida State
Miami
Clemson
Ga. Tech
Louisville
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Duke

Works for me. That would be an awesome slate. Not going to happen, but still...

I don't care for a Yankee vs. Confederate split. My only tweak would be to swap GA Tech and Louisville.

14 is a tough conference size to schedule. 12 is perfect. 15- (3*5) or 16- (4*4) work much better than 14.

Atl - Coa
BC - SU
CU - VT
UL - VA
NCS -UNC
WF - Duke
GT - Pitt
FSU - Miami

People in the Atlantic Division wouldn't like it. The atlantic is MUCH stronger than the coastal in that model. You have the top 3 teams already in the atlantic and you're talking about moving arguably the fourth best there.

People in the Atlantic Division wouldn't like it. The atlantic is MUCH stronger than the coastal in that model. You have the top 3 teams already in the atlantic and you're talking about moving arguably the fourth best there.
What about this type of ACC division split.I think this is honestly one of the best solutions and divides the teams pretty evenly.
Atlantic
Florida State
Miami
Syracuse
Boston College
Wake Forest
NC State
Louisville

Coastal
Clemson
Virginia Tech
Pitt
Virginia
Duke
North Carolina
Georgia Tech

Permanent Crossovers
Clemson-Florida State
Virginia Tech-Miami
Pitt-Syracuse
Virginia-Boston College
Duke-Wake Forest
North Carolina-NC State
Georgia Tech-Louisville
You keep the FSU-Clemson game, VPI-Miami games and develop a potential Georgia Tech-Louisville rivalry, the only downside is that the Coastal loses a Florida game every 2 years, but scheduling could easily fix this.

I'm pretty sure I disagree with your assessment of the top 3/4 teams in the conference - and these things are cyclical. I remember when the SEC East was the big power and the West was considered much weaker.

That being said, the current configuration is fine, just move GT over to the Atlantic and add Louisville to the Coastal.

What about this type of ACC division split.I think this is honestly one of the best solutions and divides the teams pretty evenly.
Atlantic
Florida State
Miami
Syracuse
Boston College
Wake Forest
NC State
Louisville

Coastal
Clemson
Virginia Tech
Pitt
Virginia
Duke
North Carolina
Georgia Tech

Permanent Crossovers
Clemson-Florida State
Virginia Tech-Miami
Pitt-Syracuse
Virginia-Boston College
Duke-Wake Forest
North Carolina-NC State
Georgia Tech-Louisville
You keep the FSU-Clemson game, VPI-Miami games and develop a potential Georgia Tech-Louisville rivalry, the only downside is that the Coastal loses a Florida game every 2 years, but scheduling could easily fix this.
I think that's the best alignment I've seen. And to the other poster: I recognize these things are cyclical, but that still doesn't take away from the fact that FSU, CU and LU are the top 3 teams in the league are probably will be for the near future.

But of course none of this matters. As y'all (start getting used to that word) will shortly find out, this conference is run by a select few and changes occur at their need. As long as we're throwing out hypothetical solutions, I think we should drop BC and Wake--they're not particularly good at anything and we could get more scheduling variety with 12 teams, not to mention we're splitting the pie by 12 instead of 14 without greatly reducing the size of the pot.

I think that's the best alignment I've seen. And to the other poster: I recognize these things are cyclical, but that still doesn't take away from the fact that FSU, CU and LU are the top 3 teams in the league are probably will be for the near future.

But of course none of this matters. As y'all (start getting used to that word) will shortly find out, this conference is run by a select few and changes occur at their need. As long as we're throwing out hypothetical solutions, I think we should drop BC and Wake--they're not particularly good at anything and we could get more scheduling variety with 12 teams, not to mention we're splitting the pie by 12 instead of 14 without greatly reducing the size of the pot.
SU tied UL for the BE title last season and beat the crap out of them head to head - so I wouldn't go and anoint them as an ACC power just yet.

Glad to see some ACC fans joining in.

From a Cuse selfish standpoint I think in FB we need to play annually:

BC
Pitt
Miami
GaTech
Louisville or FSU or Clemson
NCSt or UNC
Wake or Duke
VTech or UVA

Glad to see some ACC fans joining in.

From a Cuse selfish standpoint I think in FB we need to play annually:

BC
Pitt
Miami
GaTech
Louisville
NCSt or UNC
Wake or Duke
VTech or UVA
why Louisville? because they were in the NBE for a couple of years and were the only school kind enough to provide GRob more than one victory? Give me Clemson or FSU over UL any day - come one Mark, SU is back to a point where they can handle it :cool:

why Louisville? because they were in the NBE for a couple of years and were the only school kind enough to provide GRob more than one victory? Give me Clemson or FSU over UL any day - come one Mark, SU is back to a point where they can handle it :cool:

I was debating that...how about

Louisville/Clemson or FSU for that annual slot?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom