What happened to "our best team in the last 20 years?" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What happened to "our best team in the last 20 years?"

I love the summer weight room stuff but we look like a bunch of guys that can squat a lot and can’t move. We look so slow.

We’ve heard the same story on the oline every year. If you can’t pass or run block you shouldn’t be on schollie. These guys can’t do either.

The fundamentals are shocking. You have a 10th year senior that still can’t wrap up. A qb that can’t read a defense. WRs that can’t catch.

I don’t want to see another La Familia video, the offensive play calling should be nicknamed nyquil

Chip & Millhouse now furtively searching for this Lawrence guy. :p

Agreed - our DB’s NEVER turn to look for the ball.
Like, ever.

They need to act like a WR in those spots, turn and fight for the ball themselves, rather than face guarding the WR’s and hoping they’ll drop it.

Just when I thought nothing could make me laugh right now

I think there is a chemistry problem on this team, I posted that after the MD game and I think it more after Dino had that on the field gathering after the game. He said “ we had something happen and I don’t want to talk about it in front of the cameras”. I really wonder if there is a fracture in there between O and D or something else.

Pretty much. In fairness the team we lost to last night beat the living heck outta Alabama.

Tommy needs to be smarter. There are check-down passes to be made.

Which would be fine if there was actually time to go through check downs..

We didn't back our way into anything last year.

We don't have a lot of margin - most team don't, and anyone here can point to a few things in games 2 and 3 that could've turned the tide.
The offensive line just isn’t strong/good enough yet. It’s not really that complicated. Linebacking corps on defense is also still a work in progress.

Very impressed that multiple vets have the stones to throw up highlights of themselves from the game this morning on Instagram

Maybe it is a team chemistry issue.

I could hit 4 straight homeruns in a game and you wouldn’t see me happy/bragging if we lost.

Kids are different these days.

That should be done pre snap. If you know that they are bringing pressure you cannot expect to have time to go through progressions. That is just silly.

They disguised there pressure well and the O couldn't discern where it was coming from. Not knowing where the pressure is coming from means you don't know where the ball can go.

I agree with a lot of what has been said in this thread and would like to add maybe too many players were looking at their press clippings/Clemson/game day and not nearly as focused on fundamentals and just weren't mentally ready for these games.

Now they are a bit in the corner and we'll see if they cower or fight...and by fight I don't mean with each other.

Very impressed that multiple vets have the stones to throw up highlights of themselves from the game this morning on Instagram

I could hit 4 straight homeruns in a game and you wouldn’t see me happy/bragging if we lost.

Which players did that?

Which players did that?
Always the db’s and a few offensive players. I won’t name individuals, just disappointing to see. Me me me. Well you lost by 40 points.

Vets get free tickets? What war were the highlights from?

They disguised there pressure well and the O couldn't discern where it was coming from. Not knowing where the pressure is coming from means you don't know where the ball can go.

For the most part they came up the middle because their game plan was to make Tommy move. The play calling did the kids no favors. We knew going into the game that Clemson’s D would overwhelm us yet the game plan did nothing to counter that. You don’t need the OL to do much if you run WR screens, bubble screens, slants, curls, swings, circles. Why was that not the plan and why did we not go to those? Hell even a fly and just chuck it as far as you can hoping for something good to happen at least is something.

We have major issues right now on O. The play calling is lacking. The WRs are lacking. The OL is lacking. The RBs are lacking. The QB is lacking. There isn’t one bright spot this year on O.

So a couple things:
1). I think we had a couple seasoned ballers on the team last year that obviously made a difference regarding execution. Example: D Strick ran tough but really knew how to pick up the blitz. Strong blocking for ED. We are not seeing that with Moe or Abdul. I would consider putting Howard or Elmore back there for protection.
2). I think our line was a weak link with dline going into the season and losing Martin and Conway were big difference makers. Again with a QB who could scramble we had I believe 39 sacks. We all hoped the oline coach was trending the position favorably and losing our starting LT didn’t help.
Side note: Allot of posters said that TDs elite throwing and quick reads would make up for the line deficiencies. That is clearly not the case. Maybe once TD is more experienced and we have better line play.
Side note 2: Clemson dline and lbs showed a number of looks yesterday with stunts, lineman dropping back into coverage and lbs rushing, our oline had significant challenges keying in on who was who.
3). I am very confused by the play calling and if I am HCDFBs I am spending a good chunck of time this week talking with my OC. To many empty backfield sets, not enough quick routes with the empty backfield sets (knowing our oline is beeing overwhelmed), absolutely gave up on the run (even when its not going great, you still need to run the rock) and not enough play calls that helped TD find a groove. We should be practicing this week some intentional roll out plays and give TD some space “intentionally “.
4). Some of ya will hate this but there were intentional run calls for ED last year and they need to keep that going with TD. It absolutely looks clear to me that TD has been told not to run. For our quarterback thinking that our QB should be pure passer just no way. He can spin it, he is not near Elite yet. He can be, until then incorporate a few runs for him, to help him out and move the chains.
5) Lastly our d showed pretty well all things considered. I saw the fight in the dog yesterday. Better tackling this week. If the game was closer, I think they would have been more rested and would have fed of crowd.

Still plenty of season left. People wanted to get caught up in the turned the corner thinking and again we haven’t. Some things need to change. Some fans need to recalibrate expectations. They are still our team, and require our support. I was there against Clemson and will be there against WM. Go Cuse.
Re: people who thought we had turned-the-corner: you have to give it time. It took MacPherson til Year 5 to make a bowl game and Year 7 for the big breakthrough and gaining of consistency. We also play a tougher schedule now.

Those two possessions after the INT’s were Horror movie level stuff. I can’t ever unsee that.

The worst thing is as soon he didn’t get in the end zone on the second interception, all my excitement went out the window and I knew we had no chance to score. Scary. As soon as he got tackled I legit sat down all dejected, shaking my head. No cheering whatsoever after the play.

Ha same here. Thought no one could even write a script this mean.

And yeah, when Trill didn’t get in, all I could think was doom.

If we had punched it in a couple times when we should’ve and made it an exciting game and ended up losing 41-24 or something, and even kinda showed up at Maryland and lost competitively, I wouldn’t feel bad.

104-26 the last two weeks is just ridiculous.

Exactly. 1-2 was my worst case scenario after 3 games. I didn't expect it to happen but I knew it was possible. But the way we have lost is way beyond my worst case scenario. I didn't expect this at all.

On a side note, while that is true that is also true of every generation. I think if there was FB, IG, and social media in the 60’s kids would have done the same thing as kids today.

On a side note, while that is true that is also true of every generation. I think if there was FB, IG, and social media in the 60’s kids would have done the same thing as kids today.

It makes me mad, i’d be pissed if I was banged up today and getting back to the grind after this loss and saw my teammates throwing up look at me videos on instagram. Maybe its just me. Didn’t see Zaire, Paris or Dungey throwing up highlights after the NC State, FSU and Miami losses.

All this being said, Devito is not one of the kids im talking about.

I don’t know - we had AIM. Nobody I knew was putting their stats up in their away messages and profiles. People would put their team’s record up though. If someone asked you how many points you scored, it was “I don’t know”, even if you really did know. The whole culture has become so narcissistic.

I’d love to see Coley or Clarke get a shot at unseating Foster.

Clarke’s a big hitter, coley’s a play maker. Not sure Jonas is 100% healthy yet.

Exactly. 1-2 was my worst case scenario after 3 games. I didn't expect it to happen but I knew it was possible. But the way we have lost is way beyond my worst case scenario. I didn't expect this at all.

100% this.

Re: people who thought we had turned-the-corner: you have to give it time. It took MacPherson til Year 5 to make a bowl game and Year 7 for the big breakthrough and gaining of consistency. We also play a tougher schedule now.

Babers has to teach a whole new team how to win. These guys remind me of Marvin Graves' senior year. Coming off a 10 win season (2 in a row, in fact) and thinking this could be a great year. But the toughness was lacking and the team only went 6-4-2.

Did we fluke into 10 wins last season? No, but a lot of things broke our way, including strong relief play by Devito in two game, and very few injuries. Biggest differences — multi-year starters at OTs and TE and — obviously — Dungey’s ability to run the ball. Dungey was inspirational and the team MVP.

Without Dungey, if you want to be honest, we are about where our recruiting puts us.
Dungey has he heard from the CFL ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom