What happened to our lacrosse program? | Syracusefan.com

What happened to our lacrosse program?

Antz201

Scout Team
Doesn't feel like we are the best team every time we step on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are more good teams now, and more competition for recruits.

I believe we were spoiled by the Galloway era of Syracuse lax. In his four years college lacrosse was dominated by Cuse, but remember the year before he arrived we went 5-8, the year before 10-5, and the year before that 7-6..

Move teams putting more money into their programs. Their are more options and A LOT more scholarship dollars spread around. Norte Dame and Villanova a prime examples. Nova and ND didn't offer scholarships 20 years ago and Nova just added full time coach about five years ago. That said, SU should be better than 10-15 range, we should be 1-6 range. Need to get back to that one way or another.

Let's wait till the game or outcome has been decided before posts like this. Syracuse doesn't have a birth right to win every game. Princeton used to be our 2nd biggest rivals behind Hopkins and they used to have a walk to the Final Four, but that program has cratered a lot more. Syracuse is still a top 5 brand and will have good years, great years, mediocre years.

Syracuse is still a top 5 brand and will have good years, great years, mediocre years.
Disappointing years, yes. Hopefully no true mediocre (losing record) years. With talent being spread around the country, it only takes one or two key injuries, a complete rebuilding year, or a team to simply not gel to drop a team to bubble level. Hopkins' streak of tourney appearances is amazing, but will be hit soon (maybe this year, even), for the same reasons.

With more kids developing in the south, there will be new D-1 programs that will be started. Some kids from the traditional areas that used to be the 2nd string at power programs for their first two years will opt to go to these new programs to be 4-year starters.

While the goal always should be to reach the Final Four, the reality is that making it there (nearly) half of the time will be the new mark of elite programs.

Disappointing years, yes. Hopefully no true mediocre (losing record) years. With talent being spread around the country, it only takes one or two key injuries, a complete rebuilding year, or a team to simply not gel to drop a team to bubble level. Hopkins' streak of tourney appearances is amazing, but will be hit soon (maybe this year, even), for the same reasons.

With more kids developing in the south, there will be new D-1 programs that will be started. Some kids from the traditional areas that used to be the 2nd string at power programs for their first two years will opt to go to these new programs to be 4-year starters.

While the goal always should be to reach the Final Four, the reality is that making it there (nearly) half of the time will be the new mark of elite programs.
I don't disagree with anything you said, but I would call last year what I meant as a mediocre year which would be a year we are average and are able to steal an automatic bid. I would call disappointing years seasons we finish below .500. Mediocre years would be just making the NCAA tournament.

That must be it.

I'm sure the Gait era, the Powell era, and the 22 straight Final Fours - 14 Championship game appearances - and 9 National Titles from 1983-2004 had nothing to do with it.

:)
I apologize, I'm either not old enough or wasn't into lacrosse enough to remember those times :(

I can still remember the first NC ('83). We were losing 12-5 early in the 3rd quarter to Hopkins. Then went on a tear and ended up winning 17-16. 12-4 run beats 12-5 run. Welcome to Lacrosse royalty!

That must be it.

I'm sure the Gait era, the Powell era, and the 22 straight Final Fours - 14 Championship game appearances - and 9 National Titles from 1983-2004 had nothing to do with it.

:)

I'm sure that had nothing to do with it. Just us old guys thinking of days gone by...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom