What I don’t get about Buddy | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

What I don’t get about Buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buddy and Hancock were similar shooters but Hancock was a much better all around player.

Rebounding, ball handling, passing, defensively I think Hancock had a big edge. At least while he was at Louisville but I don’t really know what he was like at George Mason.

Edit: I checked the numbers per 100 possessions and the Advanced numbers and Buddy seems to be a good bit behind even Hancock.
I meant he is a microwave bench guy on a championship caliber team.

Buddy and Hancock were similar shooters but Hancock was a much better all around player.

Rebounding, ball handling, passing, defensively I think Hancock had a big edge. At least while he was at Louisville but I don’t really know what he was like at George Mason.

Edit: I checked the numbers per 100 possessions and the Advanced numbers and Buddy seems to be a good bit behind even Hancock.

Yeah, and I loathed Hancock, because he was really good at that upfake move where he'd get a dude up in the air, and then JUMP RIGHT INTO HIM while shooting, to "draw a foul".
It worked like 95% of the time, and was absolutely maddening, because that's not what basketball is supposed to be.

IF he played for Cuse, he'd probably be a board legend.

The OTHER Llvll guard thing I despised (Siva was the queen of this) was -
they'd drive into the lane, COMPLETELY OUT OF CONTROL, run into a defender, and "draw a blocking foul".

This isn’t true. It doesn’t happen several times every game. It happens when he recognizes he’s being guarded by a much smaller guy. That doesn’t happen every game.

Well, he's attempted 127 shots inside the arc in 17 games. So that's an average of more than 7 attempts a game. In fact, he has attempted more 2 point shots than 3's.

So I guess it IS true.

buddy is averaging 14.7 shots a game. tops in the ACC. he also avg's 7.2 treys a game. tops in the ACC. so the breakdown based on this data is 7.5 shots inside the arc and 7.2 beyond. so yes he has attempted more two's than treys. it is also correct that his overall fg% is 40.4%. that's 76th in the ACC. 15 teams x 5 starters = 75 players. so that's pretty bad .

Buddy is an enigma. Maybe the weirdest phenomenon we've ever had. Typically, if you have a guy who "isn't good enough for Division 1 ball," "isn't an ACC player," "doesn't deserve 35+ minutes," can't jump, and can't run... well, typically those guys can't score 25 points in an ACC game. But, Buddy can.

He's also a good excuse for why Daddy leaves him in a game where he begins 1 for 8. Because he can score 20 in the next half. He's paradoxical.

Buddy is an enigma. Maybe the weirdest phenomenon we've ever had. Typically, if you have a guy who "isn't good enough for Division 1 ball," "isn't an ACC player," "doesn't deserve 35+ minutes," can't jump, and can't run... well, typically those guys can't score 25 points in an ACC game. But, Buddy can.

He's also a good excuse for why Daddy leaves him in a game where he begins 1 for 8. Because he can score 20 in the next half. He's paradoxical.

Agreed Zelda! Exactly.

leftytg and xc84 have got to get together and decide whether Buddy can handle the ball. Lefty says he can't xc says he can. C'mon guys.

Although I believe Buddy can do more than just shoot and shoot the ball he can hot then not, he is not the premier ball handler we wish he was.

Who ya gonna get to hit the three's like he did vs ND? Joe? I think III has fallen from grace for the moment. If he could maintain his momentum and consistency with the three ball along with Buddy we'd be in a different position win wise.

But that depends on whether JB plays him.

We have a couple of players striving to be Elijah Hughes but there not there quite yet and I think we have to be satisfied with what we have this, what shall we call it with all the Covid stops and goes, a pretend season at least - almost kind of a season that everyone is frustrated with but can't do anything about but watch JB as Don Quixote attacking those windmills. The message that individuals can be right while the board is wrong. Oh, well Buddy will be gone soon along with JB – I wonder what the topic of complaint will be then?

Well, he's attempted 127 shots inside the arc in 17 games. So that's an average of more than 7 attempts a game. In fact, he has attempted more 2 point shots than 3's.

So I guess it IS true.
Yeah, that has no correlation to putting the ball on the floor and driving to the basket.

Agreed Zelda! Exactly.

leftytg and xc84 have got to get together and decide whether Buddy can handle the ball. Lefty says he can't xc says he can. C'mon guys.

Although I believe Buddy can do more than just shoot and shoot the ball he can hot then not, he is not the premier ball handler we wish he was.

Who ya gonna get to hit the three's like he did vs ND? Joe? I think III has fallen from grace for the moment. If he could maintain his momentum and consistency with the three ball along with Buddy we'd be in a different position win wise.

But that depends on whether JB plays him.

We have a couple of players striving to be Elijah Hughes but there not there quite yet and I think we have to be satisfied with what we have this, what shall we call it with all the Covid stops and goes, a pretend season at least - almost kind of a season that everyone is frustrated with but can't do anything about but watch JB as Don Quixote attacking those windmills. The message that individuals can be right while the board is wrong. Oh, well Buddy will be gone soon along with JB – I wonder what the topic of complaint will be then?
Can he play good defense? Can he get rebounds? Can he do anything but shoot and occasionally get steals on D?

Our offensive philosophy is premised on finding a mismatch and exploiting it. Unless buddy is 6” taller than his defender, he can be shut down in this system. It is then up to someone else to beat his man. Kadary can do it regularly and thats why we love him. The others— Guerrier struggles to finish. Marek is too weak to dominate consistently. Joe is too short. And Griffin seems to disappear and handle is less than desired.

the problem is we have a lot of nice pieces. Were not bad. Were just not good.

Yeah, that has no correlation to putting the ball on the floor and driving to the basket.

Hey, I'm sorry that facts aren't good enough for you.

Do you think Buddy takes more 15 foot jumpers, or tries to back guys down in the lane and shoot over them? Which does he do more often?

Do you think Buddy takes more 15 foot jumpers, or tries to back guys down in the lane and shoot over them? Which does he do more often?

backing a guy down or whatever he does is not driving to the basket.

he drove to the basket for the and-1 vs ND...he does not do that often

Feels like we are arguing the same side of the argument a bit here. I've tried to stay as objective as possible in my comments in this thread. But you keep pushing this for some reason.

Yes, Buddy takes shots inside the three point line. No, not many of them can be considered, as I've said throughout this thread, shots at the rim where he has put the ball on the floor and driven by his defender.
No, I don't believe he backs a guy down 'several times a game' to get his shot in the game as you asserted. It happens in games where he identifies an opportunity and makes it happen. He tried it a few times against better teams and it turned into a fadeaway but that's not optimal. When he does it now, it's against the smaller defender and he typically elevates up and over the defender.

His drives are not what many would call typical. He can't drive and finish at the rim against a decent defender. Considering he often gets the other team's best defender, it's even harder for him to do so. So he drives and does his fade away thing.

I am, but you get my point. He's not a driver like Kadary is. But Buddy occasionally can take a few dribbles to get to the foul line or so and pull up for a jumper. Like I said, he's not the traditional drive and finish at the rim type of player, and never will be. Even with another summer of lockdown with Devo, he'll never have that quick first step and ability to finish with both hands.

This isn’t true. It doesn’t happen several times every game. It happens when he recognizes he’s being guarded by a much smaller guy. That doesn’t happen every game.

This should be obvious...but driving to the basket would result in many more FTs than the 1-2 he gets a game. in a perfect world, he’d be shooting 3s and running backdoors
I believe he is last among the top 20 scorers in the conference in FT/A and it's last by like 20%. He has taken a grand total of 24 in 17 games. So that pretty much ends any arguments people were having about him being anything beyond a jump shooter.

So I guess it IS true.
The and 1 was great against ND. Just because something happens occasionally by someone, does not mean they really "do" (there is always a "frequency" implied when these words are thrown around) that thing that happened. There is a whole lot of real estate inside the 3 pt. arc that is available for shooting. That does not mean it's considered driving to the hoop. Backing just inside the foul line and shooting over someone is not driving to the hoop. It's a shot to be used depending on matchup, I do agree.

Can't believe I had to type that out.

Eh, I'd guess Mookie Jones could have dropped 25 on occasion if he had a green light, and got over 35 minutes a game.

BJ could have done it as a Sophomore assuming he doesn't have to worry about anything other than occasionally driving and shooting threes and got 35+ a game at SG. Of this, I have no doubt! :)

It's all about taking away accountability for anything other than scoring, and an occasional drive to the rim - why we opted into that route is the real enigma.

It's never going to be a winning strategy, unless you surround the dude with some dynamos. If we do that, it can work, the zone would still be less effective, but it would work - because spacing! Maybe we're even close to doing that if some people stick around and Frank turns into a really good 5.

Eh, I'd guess Mookie Jones could have dropped 25 on occasion if he had a green light, and got over 35 minutes a game.

BJ could have done it as a Sophomore assuming he doesn't have to worry about anything other than occasionally driving and shooting threes and got 35+ a game at SG. Of this, I have no doubt! :)

It's all about taking away accountability for anything other than scoring, and an occasional drive to the rim - why we opted into that route is the real enigma.

It's never going to be a winning strategy, unless you surround the dude with some dynamos. If we do that, it can work, the zone would still be less effective, but it would work - because spacing! Maybe we're even close to doing that if some people stick around and Frank turns into a really good 5.
I agree, re: other players.

JB reminds me of the Bryan Cranston judge character in Your Honor. When your love of your son enables a compromise if everything you previously stood for. And you’ll burn everything you previously worked for down to the ground to protect him. [Some exaggeration.]

Feels like we are arguing the same side of the argument a bit here. I've tried to stay as objective as possible in my comments in this thread. But you keep pushing this for some reason.

Yes, Buddy takes shots inside the three point line. No, not many of them can be considered, as I've said throughout this thread, shots at the rim where he has put the ball on the floor and driven by his defender.
No, I don't believe he backs a guy down 'several times a game' to get his shot in the game as you asserted. It happens in games where he identifies an opportunity and makes it happen. He tried it a few times against better teams and it turned into a fadeaway but that's not optimal. When he does it now, it's against the smaller defender and he typically elevates up and over the defender.

You just moved the goal posts. That's not what WE were talking about, that's what you might have said to others.

I said he backs people into the lane and shoots over them.

You said he only does that in games when he has a clear size advantage. You said he seldom does that.

I disagreed, and showed you that he takes roughly 7.5 shots a game inside the arc. Almost NONE of them are at the rim. Not my argument. Your strawman.

He can handle the ball and drive it well enough to get up 7 shots a game, dribbling into the lane. He seldom tries to finish at the rim.

I think everybody else sees this.

Last edited:
The and 1 was great against ND. Just because something happens occasionally by someone, does not mean they really "do" (there is always a "frequency" implied when these words are thrown around) that thing that happened. There is a whole lot of real estate inside the 3 pt. arc that is available for shooting. That does not mean it's considered driving to the hoop. Backing just inside the foul line and shooting over someone is not driving to the hoop. It's a shot to be used depending on matchup, I do agree.

Can't believe I had to type that out.

We don't disagree about any of that.

He handles the ball well enough to get into the lane and get off that many shots a game. He hits his fair share. He shots have a soft touch on the rim.

He seldom drives all the way to the rim, and he dribbles well enough to not be a turnover machine, and to pose a threat on offense.

He's not just a 3 point shooter who has no other value to the team, if his threes aren't falling. Joe Girard should have half the midrange game that Buddy does.

Buddy might not be a great, or even very good athlete, but he's good enough to be a very good ACC player. If he didn't have such a workload, I think everyone agrees he would be one of the elite shooters in the NCAA.

If you disagree, just look at last season. His sophomore year was better than Andy Rautins as a junior.

Last edited:
Buddy is a great shooter and seems like an even better kid. I was surprised when he got a scholarship offer but thought he would be a good reserve player a couple years down the road. I think he has worked hard and proven many including myself wrong. He is way better than I thought he would ever be at SU.

But there is no way he should play 36 minutes a game. Nobody on this team should play that much. I think teams that give players a few minutes here and there have players that will have more left in the tank at the end of games and down the stretch of the season. The Buddy we have seen the last few games probably deserves about 30 minutes a game. But if he is not shooting well like we have seen some games this year he needs to sit more. His defensive slides are slow, he does not rebound well for his size and he struggles bringing the ball up the court for a shooting guard. The games where he is off but Jim continues to pay him 36 plus minutes a game just reminds me of the CYO coach who plays his kid the most because...well he is his son.

Exactly. I tend to not comment on Buddy in general. I'm basically ambivalent. But this thread, to show up right now, is really weird. Buddy has been superb the last two games. Like, production wise, you couldn't ask for more from your shooting guard. His line from last night of 21 pts on 8-15 shooting, 5-9 on threes, 4 boards, 4 ast, 2 stl - that's a helluva all around game.
I mean, come on. There's a time for criticism but right now isn't it.
That’s gotta be wrong: Buddy don’t board, according to some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom