What I don't understand is why Penn State would want to cover this up to begin with? | Syracusefan.com

What I don't understand is why Penn State would want to cover this up to begin with?

strumpfasaurus

2nd String
If This creep had been exposed in 1998 when the first allegations came out and Paterno or whoever had reported him what would be the worst case scenario? It's not like they would have any wins taken away or one of their national championships. I just don't see why the university would want to cover this up. I can see why Tressel did what he did, but had Penn State reported this it may have temporarily stigmatized their program but in the end may have helped their reputation as a school that exposed a evil and reported it right away I just don't get why they covered it up to begin with.

If This creep had been exposed in 1998 when the first allegations came out and Paterno or whoever had reported him what would be the worst case scenario? It's not like they would have any wins taken away or one of their national championships. I just don't see why the university would want to cover this up. I can see why Tressel did what he did, but had Penn State reported this it may have temporarily stigmatized their program but in the end may have helped their reputation as a school that exposed a evil and reported it right away I just don't get why they covered it up to begin with.
My guess is this had been going on for YEARS, and people knew it. So if you investigate in 1998 and discover this had been going on since 1977, you have blood on your hands. Ironically, the same blood that you have today.

My guess is this had been going on for YEARS, and people knew it. So if you investigate in 1998 and discover this had been going on since 1977, you have blood on your hands. Ironically, the same blood that you have today.

I can see that but I guess I would say why didn't they expose it then? It just seems odd that the university would go to this length to protect a scandal like this when if they had reported it to begin with nothing really would have happened to the university as a result.

What's strange is that universities are absolutely, crazily concerned about liability. Any liability, for anything. They crack down harshly on student drinking because they don't want to be sued if a kid gets into an accident. They throw kids out of school all the time for disciplinary reasons because they don't want to get sued if another incident happens.

And yet PSU let a known sexual predator roam their campus for at least 13 years.

It doesn't make any sense whatsoever, but these things rarely do.

my rule, nothing makes no sense at all. Sandusky knows where the bodies are buried. Joepa isn't as clean (obvious now) as he wants people to think.

I think you're probably on the right track. When you read the grand jury testimony... there are a lot of things that don't really add up. This is a story with a lot of villans. You have to figure that some people would think Sandusky's behavior was questionable - I'm not talking about people who directly witnessed the assaults - but basically that this guy was bringing a seemingly unending parade of young boys to so many events over the years and was often in one-on-one unsupervised situations with them (bringing them to games, hotels, banquets, driving them around, etc). It would seem unbelievable to me that no one on campus or within the Second Mile organization had a suspicion of what was going on???

And then there is the MM situation... ugh... a part of me wonders if he used the situation as leverage to gain his current position on the team (wide receivers coach). Something doesn't add up here. Not only did he not stop the incident when it was happening, but he continues on at Penn State, and then becomes a coach??? I'm sorry, but if I saw something like that happen 1) I would try to do something to stop it THEN AND THERE, and 2) I would be looking for a new school or new job IMMEDIATELY. I can't imagine staying on at a place after seeing something like that happen. Particularly if you inform your boss, it goes up the chain of command, and nothing gets done about it. You'd really want to continue working at a place like that??? Really?? Again, it doesn't add up.

Lots of coincidences too - first criminal investigation into Sandusky in 1998, then he announces his retirement the next year, but retains a bunch of perks. Sounds functionally equivalent to a plea deal to me. Like he was forced to retire, meaning that people from Paterno on up knew more than they have lead on?

I have this feeling that only a part of this story is out right now. There are too many gaps in the grand jury transcript to really address the big picture.

I'm having this vision of blackmailers blackmailing each other... this is some truly repulsive stuff.

Mason

What's strange is that universities are absolutely, crazily concerned about liability. Any liability, for anything. They crack down harshly on student drinking because they don't want to be sued if a kid gets into an accident. They throw kids out of school all the time for disciplinary reasons because they don't want to get sued if another incident happens.

And yet PSU let a known sexual predator roam their campus for at least 13 years.

It doesn't make any sense whatsoever, but these things rarely do.

Agree 100%. IMO this suggests that there is/was an enabler or co-conspirator.

I think you're probably on the right track. When you read the grand jury testimony... there are a lot of things that don't really add up. This is a story with a lot of villans. You have to figure that some people would think Sandusky's behavior was questionable - I'm not talking about people who directly witnessed the assaults - but basically that this guy was bringing a seemingly unending parade of young boys to so many events over the years and was often in one-on-one unsupervised situations with them (bringing them to games, hotels, banquets, driving them around, etc). It would seem unbelievable to me that no one on campus or within the Second Mile organization had a suspicion of what was going on???

And then there is the MM situation... ugh... a part of me wonders if he used the situation as leverage to gain his current position on the team (wide receivers coach). Something doesn't add up here. Not only did he not stop the incident when it was happening, but he continues on at Penn State, and then becomes a coach??? I'm sorry, but if I saw something like that happen 1) I would try to do something to stop it THEN AND THERE, and 2) I would be looking for a new school or new job IMMEDIATELY. I can't imagine staying on at a place after seeing something like that happen. Particularly if you inform your boss, it goes up the chain of command, and nothing gets done about it. You'd really want to continue working at a place like that??? Really?? Again, it doesn't add up.

Lots of coincidences too - first criminal investigation into Sandusky in 1998, then he announces his retirement the next year, but retains a bunch of perks. Sounds functionally equivalent to a plea deal to me. Like he was forced to retire, meaning that people from Paterno on up knew more than they have lead on?

I have this feeling that only a part of this story is out right now. There are too many gaps in the grand jury transcript to really address the big picture.

I'm having this vision of blackmailers blackmailing each other... this is some truly repulsive stuff.

Mason

Reading that ESPN article apperently the McQuearys are State College natives. Sounds like he didn't want to hurt his beloved alma mater. Hell they guy apperently called his dad first before telling Paterno.

Alma mater or not..seems kind of creepy that the guy would stay there after reporting something like this and watching nothing happen and Sandusky still getting accolades from the community. Does career advancement trump odd behavior like this? Apparently.

People are weird.

Mason is on to something I believe.

Alma mater or not..seems kind of creepy that the guy would stay there after reporting something like this and watching nothing happen and Sandusky still getting accolades from the community. Does career advancement trump odd behavior like this? Apparently.

People are weird.

Mason is on to something I believe.

State College is weird. PSU football is life up there. For all the people say about people from West Virginia, that little cow town in the middle of PA might not be far off from that. It reminds me of the recent Notre Dame cover up but on a much bigger scale. Same mentality though.

my rule, nothing makes no sense at all. Sandusky knows where the bodies are buried. Joepa isn't as clean (obvious now) as he wants people to think.

This makes the most sense to me as well. Sandusky knows things that no one wanted to come out and he used the info to protect himself. Still you've got to be an idiot to allow a pedophile on the loose and let him stay connected with your program, what'd JoPa think, that he was just going to stop?
Its either this or there are more people than just Sandusky involved or it goes back so far and had already been being covered up since the 80's or something.

What's funny for me is that the college I work at just sent out a link to a mandatory sexual abuse survey that all employees suddenly have to take under the guise of "background check information" or something along those lines. I only skimmed the e-mail, but that was the gist.

I guarantee something similar will be done at every college in America by the end of the week.

What could Sandusky possibly "know" that's worse than protecting a child rapist?!

Recruiting violations?

Come on.

The Internet is such a breeding ground for nonsensical conspiracy theories. Personally I'm an Occam's Razor guy. The administration covered this up because it's icky.

And I'm guessing JoePa stopped at the bare minimum because this guy is his friend, which makes me sick. I mean, if I found out a good friend was doing something like this, I'd have some mixed emotions about turning him in initially, but at the end of the day I'd absolutely turn him in.

Mason

You also have to consider that the institution itself covered this up. Even BOT people knew about this stuff. The guy from Second Mile is involved, there are probably other pedophiles involved, blackmail like you said against some important people at PSU which would include Paterno and the President. I don't think everything ever comes out but what more comes out will probably make our heads spin.

A couple of reasons. Keep in mind that this guy was the coach-in-waiting for about 30 years [exaggeration] leading up to his abrupt resignation, so I'd venture to guess that he and JoePa were close, and Paterno was probably trying to protect him.

Also, 24 hour media hadn't proliferated at that point quite the way it has now. Programs sweep stuff under the rug all the time; back then, it was easier to keep problems "in house" / buried than it is today, with literally dozens of news venues, bloggers, social media, etc.

But what I REALLY can't understand is why Paterno would have continued granting access to Penn State facilities after these allegations were brought to his attention. Ultimately, that is going to be his downfall--he willingly turned a blind eye and provided an environment for this monster to continue sexually abusing children.

Personally speaking, I hope Paterno perishes in flames over this.

I'm seeming to recall that Penn State was one of the preseason favorites for a national championship in 1999. As a totally unfounded theory, I'll submit that Joe Pa/Penn State didn't want to report this because they knew it would derail the program and they were sooooo close to a national championship they justified it to themselves. Then enough time passes that there's no way you can report it anymore, so you just kinda pretend it never happened.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

This is a massive institutional failing of epic proportions.