What I Expect in the Stanford Game... | Syracusefan.com

What I Expect in the Stanford Game...

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Parking problems

I will be at the Fine Lot at about 2:45 pm. I expect the lot will be 95% full then. My advice to those with parking passes to lots west of the dome is to get there early. You show up an hour before the game and I would be surprised if there will be any spaces.

This has been a problem for years but is worse for weekend night games. The students will still be parked there and I don't expect many will move their cars out to make room for the football fans who bought parking passes. It is a tough spot for SUAD. The parking lots are controlled by SU parking services and I am pretty sure those folks do not care much about whether season ticket holders can park where they paid to park. You have been warned.

Heat in the parking lot

It is going to be a beautiful day. Sunny with temperatures in the low 80s while we tailgate. Get ready to sweat. Hydrate. Thank god the dome is air conditioned on days/nights like this one. The good news is it will be in the high 60s when we leave the dome at about 10:45 pm.

Tuba crisis continues

A single digit sousaphone count makes me sad. I am hoping 3 or 4 sousaphone players had bad hammys but will come off the bench for this game. Along with Justus-Ross Simmons!

Special teams judgement day

Two Saturdays ago, Syracuse had the worse special teams day in the country. And Stanford had the best. Tiger Bachmeier, their long haired peace and love dude, returned a punt 90 yards for a TD. Stanford also blocked a field goal attempt and got a first down on a faked punt. On paper, it looks like Stanford might beat Syracuswe by 25 points on special teams alone. SU special teams coach James Vollono was surely hard at work over the last 2 weeks fixing all the problems his units have had in their first two games. This game will be a good test to see where things now stand.

Stanford fan turnout

The word on the streets is that Stanford asked for a ton of tickets for this game. The Stanford radio announcer was asked about this by Brian Higgins and he hadn't heard anything about a big turnout. We know Stanford fans do not go to their home games in big numbers. Maybe it was the location? Maybe we see 3 or 4 thousand Cardinal fans tonight? I kind of doubt it but I hope so. Also hope to see their mascot (a special tree) in the dome. The world needs a photo of the Stanford tree and Otto greeting each other. Otto grew up on a tree and should be very comfortable with this mascot.

Flash and Flash II

Stanford soph WR Elic Ayomanor has the 3rd fastest measured MPH speed during the first two weeks of the college football season. True frosh Syracuse RB/KOR Malachi James was clocked with the fastest speed for any football player for the past 2 years (including the NFL) during preseason camp. Ayomanor is from Medicine Hat, Alberta.

Stanford defensive woes

Stanford had the worst defense last season of any team at the P5 level. This year, their run defense is elite while their pass defense is horrific. Is their run defense that good or is their pass defense so bad no one bothers to run? They have a couple of DL out who may or may not be able to play tonight. I think everyone expects Syracuse to be able to move the ball passing but it will be interesting to see if they can run the ball as well.

Stanford offensive line woes

Stanford benched two OL for poor play and will be giving a soph and a true frosh their first starts tonight. The dome is not a good place for inexperienced linemen to start playing. Couple this with the problems Stanford has had running the ball and I would expect some sacks. Their QBs are athletic and can run the ball and will have to run for their lives on passing plays. If given time, Stanford has some good WRs (Oyomanor might end up first team all conference and will likely play in the NFL).

New cool entrance from the dark?

This is the first night game this season. Could we see some new, crazy stuff during the team entrance at the start of the game? The sun will have set and it should be close to 100% dark. If they want to do something new and cool, a game on national TV on a Friday night is a great time to debut it.

Very interested to see how Stanford reacts to the noise and unique environment they encounter at the dome. And what the players, coaches and fans think about playing in the dome afterwards.

I expect they will be able to move the ball and score some points. I expect we will too. Should be a high scoring very entertaining game.

Also, I wanted to wish the dome a happy 44th anniverary.

That I was a college student in the middle of the student section for that game against Miami of Ohio 44 years ago is hard to believe and accept. Attending a game in the dome was so radically different than going to games at Archbold, it was almost like attending a different sport.

Archbold was dark, decrepit dirty and cold. The dome was bright, brand new (I remember that new arena smell), almost antiseptically clean and hot as hell.

I don't think anyone was prepared for how hot it got. Surely not the people running the dome, who learned later how to open vents to let some heat out on hot days, etc.

Pretty sure they ran out of all beverages before halftime.

Anyway, the dome was a huge step up from Archbold. I love history but if you were at Archbold in its last few years, you would understand it had to go. That the arena today is 1000% better than it has ever been is awesome and greatly appreciated. Add another 10 or 15 sousaphones and I am be very happy.

Last edited:
Can we get tuba players from the transfer portal?

I don't doubt that Stanford asked for a lot of tickets. They probably all thought it was a cool idea. But then, smart as they may be, with world changing innovations, didn't realize how far Syracuse was from NYC. And then remembered that they don't really like football. 500 of them tops.

Have fun tonight everybody. Wish I could be there. Was an outside chance, but couldn't pull it off. Need to get these leeching children and all their activities out of my house and on their own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom