what I saw from the spring game from the passing game | Syracusefan.com

what I saw from the spring game from the passing game

upperdeck

Living Legend
was a willingness to take the short pass when there and try to throw it on time.. The QBs also forced a few, but the WRs made an effort to break into the cuts and catch the ball in the 5-10 yd window over and over and it was spread all over the field and to multiple WRs. Thats a good sign.. When you throw those passes alot the Lbs have to account for it and that makes the running game better and the play action better.. now its up to the QBS to read the room better.

The deep throws were nice to see, almost all on double moves from the replays. Hard to know if we really have the speed to get over the top without the DBs making a mistake..

All that passing also lead to a few long runs because the box had been thinned and then we have the 2-3 Rbs that can make first guy miss and turn it into 20-40 yd runs..

That was about as productive Spring game as we have seen in 10 yrs on offense just because we saw 10+ wrs actually make some plays regardless of who they were going for.

As someone else said Oliver on D was flying around looked to be the fastest guy on the field chasing people..

was a willingness to take the short pass when there and try to throw it on time.. The QBs also forced a few, but the WRs made an effort to break into the cuts and catch the ball in the 5-10 yd window over and over and it was spread all over the field and to multiple WRs. Thats a good sign.. When you throw those passes alot the Lbs have to account for it and that makes the running game better and the play action better.. now its up to the QBS to read the room better.

The deep throws were nice to see, almost all on double moves from the replays. Hard to know if we really have the speed to get over the top without the DBs making a mistake..

All that passing also lead to a few long runs because the box had been thinned and then we have the 2-3 Rbs that can make first guy miss and turn it into 20-40 yd runs..

That was about as productive Spring game as we have seen in 10 yrs on offense just because we saw 10+ wrs actually make some plays regardless of who they were going for.

As someone else said Oliver on D was flying around looked to be the fastest guy on the field chasing people..
It was definitely a good exhibition of good, short pass routes, especially with receivers catching every ball. In particular, Hatcher was there almost every time.

The deep throws looked good to me, with separation being made by the receivers on the TD throws. It was also great to see the Lamson throw the ball for the first time and the fact that he can throw the ball accurately, deep and short and run it as well.

Allen took advantage of one of those misses and took it to the house. Great to see.

The entire game was for me a pleasure to watch.

Last edited:

Last week's spring game got me fired up for next season like no other spring game has. Loved the interview with Tony White, but more so the Anae interview.

Yes, he did not say much of deep substance, but I could see/feel and hear how he can command a room of college football players. Maybe it is the fan in me, but I could sense the football wisdom. I know he's not above reproach and and we will undoubtedly get criticized next year (Virginia fansbase sure did), but I feel like we will have an obvious offensive beacon for the first time since Marrone/Hackett about a decade ago (slight apologies to Sean Lewis administration, which was rock solid, too, but short-lived).

On thing that was very noticeable on the two deep TD's from Lamson. He had time and a clean pocket. Helpful when you're playing with the 1's against the 2's.

I saw that unless Shrader has significantly improved Lamson is a better passer. Not saying QB. Just passer.

For these young athletes, simple structure is better than having them play genius and adlib. Shortens the time needed for plays to develop and puts the QB's eyes on receivers a lot quicker running pre determined routes. The game is basically deception and the best players are really those who are really good salesmen. Your job becomes selling the defender on the unexpected letting the salesman to whom the play is designed for to close the deal.

Last edited:
I saw that unless Shrader has significantly improved Lamson is a better passer. Not saying QB. Just passer.
I don't disagree with you much but I can't see how you can determine that from playing in a spring game compared to live action. In addition, it is a completely different scheme that GS may excel at hitting his marks. Of course, I feel the biggest change is the WR's route running.

I said im not sure that he is a better QB but im 100% convinced he throws a better ball. Kid is a natural passer. The ball jumps out of his hand and he has touch. Sharder isnt a good passer. He might become one but based on HS film and college to date he is ok.

Last week's spring game got me fired up for next season like no other spring game has. Loved the interview with Tony White, but more so the Anae interview.

Yes, he did not say much of deep substance, but I could see/feel and hear how he can command a room of college football players. Maybe it is the fan in me, but I could sense the football wisdom. I know he's not above reproach and and we will undoubtedly get criticized next year (Virginia fansbase sure did), but I feel like we will have an obvious offensive beacon for the first time since Marrone/Hackett about a decade ago (slight apologies to Sean Lewis administration, which was rock solid, too, but short-lived).
I had a much different reaction to the Anae interview.

It was…..weird.

I don't disagree with you much but I can't see how you can determine that from playing in a spring game compared to live action. In addition, it is a completely different scheme that GS may excel at hitting his marks. Of course, I feel the biggest change is the WR's route running.
Lamson is definitely the more natural thrower. Not sure if he is more accurate until he faces Acc secondary's that have scouted and game planned against his flaws. Can he throw in tight windows under duress? We dont know yet but at least he shows the basic throwing skills. That's a start.

Lamson is definitely the more natural thrower. Not sure if he is more accurate until he faces Acc secondary's that have scouted and game planned against his flaws. Can he throw in tight windows under duress? We dont know yet but at least he shows the basic throwing skills. That's a start.

Agree, it's a good place to start. He's in the spring after his first season. Seems ahead of the development curve to me. Things will continue to slow down as he gets more reps, learns more of the offense. Could be exciting to watch this unfold in the next 4 years.

Just a bit socially awkward.

Hopefully all the mad scientists are.
I watched a few of his interviews when he was at UVa and yes, he was the same in this one.

Kind of a folksy style. Wants to be entertaining. Has little inclination to provide much useful information.

I think he is doing coach speak in an Island style. A little different but the same bottom line.

At least Dino allowed him to be interviewed. Barely ever heard Sterlin talk. Maybe two interviews longer than 10 seconds while he was here that I remember.

I watched a few of his interviews when he was at UVa and yes, he was the same in this one.

Kind of a folksy style. Wants to be entertaining. Has little inclination to provide much useful information.

I think he is doing coach speak in an Island style. A little different but the same bottom line.

At least Dino allowed him to be interviewed. Barely ever heard Sterlin talk. Maybe two interviews longer than 10 seconds while he was here that I remember.

At times, it had me thinking...it puts the lotion in the basket or it gets the out and up again.

Lamson reminds me of Sam Hartman or any one of those pain in the neck Wake QBs that used to just make plays and convert seemingly every third down against us. Forget who their QB was in the Ant Bailey comeback game from years ago.

Lamson reminds me of Sam Hartman or any one of those pain in the neck Wake QBs that used to just make plays and convert seemingly every third down against us. Forget who their QB was in the Ant Bailey comeback game from years ago.

Tanner Price. He started 4 years, 2010 to 2013. Then Hartman took over the following year.

I had a much different reaction to the Anae interview.

It was…..weird.
First off… they should not have had the two people facing straight forward. They needed to angle them toward each other to make it look like a more natural conversation. There were two cameras being used, so this wouldn’t have been difficult. The way it was, it created a sort of stream of consciousness look on Anae’s face. Just bad staging.

The kid interviewing was good though. He will be successful.

Anae’s actual answers, while reserved, seemed sincere and positive.

First off… they should not have had the two people facing straight forward. They needed to angle them toward each other to make it look like a more natural conversation. There were two cameras being used, so this wouldn’t have been difficult. The way it was, it created a sort of stream of consciousness look on Anae’s face. Just bad staging.

The kid interviewing was good though. He will be successful.

Anae’s actual answers, while reserved, seemed sincere and positive.

Did you notice the audio changed too when it went to our coach? (more pronounced with Anae, but happened with White as well). It was like transitioning into a tunnel each time.

Gilbert not good long form. Last summer he did that very low energy hostage tape with Matt park. It was awful

Just a bit socially awkward.

Hopefully all the mad scientists are.
He is very much an introvert based on a limited discussion with him. Intense is an understatement. As i posted earlier he reminded me of Nick Saben who i know well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom