What if Charley turns out to be good? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What if Charley turns out to be good?

Let's hope.

Philox ended up being pretty damn good.

Not only that he also had a better pro career than the guy he was behind for 3 years. Funny how things work out sometimes.

I think the kid will surprise. :) Philcox-like.

Philcox actually was a pretty good passer and had a decent arm. I havent seen enough of CL to make me think he could be a TP. I would kill if he ended up being that good.

Philcox actually was a pretty good passer and had a decent arm. I havent seen enough of CL to make me think he could be a TP. I would kill if he ended up being that good.

If he ends up being anywhere near that good, we're lucky as hell and will probably have a very good year next season.

I'd really like that 10-2 thing Philcox did as well.

After all of the players we lost, coaches we lost, etc I would be happy as hell with 6-6 and a bowl game and move onto 2014.

After all of the players we lost, coaches we lost, etc I would be happy as hell with 6-6 and a bowl game and move onto 2014.

I think you'll enjoy 2013 quite a bit. I'm just worried about the PSU game and want to go 1-0.

I think you'll enjoy 2013 quite a bit. I'm just worried about the PSU game and want to go 1-0.

We just need to keep the momentum going and getting to ANY bowl game will keep that train on the tracks. Cant afford a 4-8 type season and lose the momentum we have with last years success, new staff, new conference, etc.

Sign me up for any bowl game against any opponent and I am thrilled.

We just need to keep the momentum going and getting to ANY bowl game will keep that train on the tracks. Cant afford a 4-8 type season and lose the momentum we have with last years success, new staff, new conference, etc.

Sign me up for any bowl game against any opponent and I am thrilled.

My keys are how will the staff and players interact. If the coaches get a good read on what's here and have a good idea on how to use the talent and can teach it...execute it, we will have a team that all of the schools on our schedule will not want to play. If things make sense for the players and they are not out there thinking instead are reacting, things will be good. I know we have talent, it's how we use it that will make all the difference.

big question about the new offense is whether McDonald is going to use the existing playbook and nomenclature, basically keep everything the same, and make the coaching staff have to make adjustments to a new offense instead of the players.

Thats the million dollar question. Defensively, Bollough said they'd keep everything the same and make the coaches change/learn the terminology; and not the players.

Thats the million dollar question. Defensively, Bollough said they'd keep everything the same and make the coaches change/learn the terminology; and not the players.

Since he hasn't been an OC before my question would be how much of a book would he already have? My best guess is that he'd use the one currently in place and then gradually add his own wrinkles to it.

Honestly, I have never allowed myself the opportunity to think this before. I've always looked ahead to think who we'll have running the show after this year. Either that or who was going to beat out Charley for the fall. He has knowledge of the offense. He has a strong running game. He has a good frame. He's dreamy. Unfortunately he doesn't have any real experience. If he gets the nod, Hickey can stay at RT. If Quinta steps into a starting role and one of the frosh WRs can be solid, why not Charley? I think Hunt would be a bit more exciting, but perhaps Loeb brings that Nassib workman like quality with him. Who knows? I can't wait for Spring Ball.
If the girl in the clubhouse snackbar in hicktown La has her way Charley will be starting...Tomcat can back me on that

Since he hasn't been an OC before my question would be how much of a book would he already have? My best guess is that he'd use the one currently in place and then gradually add his own wrinkles to it.
He's been an OC before. WMU in 2005-2006.

Was recently told Ashton will "definitely not" be a quarterback here. Hate to burst your bubble but when you can't figure out basic scheme as a RB you aren't playing QB.

And who told you that - the coaches that have been on the road the last 10 days? Ashton while he's been in class? The new OC that's only been here a week and has spent all of his time on the road?

And who told you that - the coaches that have been on the road the last 10 days? Ashton while he's been in class? The new OC that's only been here a week and has spent all of his time on the road?
No, someone who would know told me during the season that Ashton couldn't figure out the playbook. There was a reason you only saw them run 3-4 plays when he was in the game. If you can't figure out the playbook at RB you aren't going to be a QB.

If the girl in the clubhouse snackbar in hicktown La has her way Charley will be starting...Tomcat can back me on that
It is true. Charley Loeb is huge in Louisiana. If we get to the Sugar Bowl, watch out!

As a side note, the oyster po boy she served me was top notch...the best po boy I ever ate.

If you are ever near Thibodaux, stop by the La Tour Golf Course and get one. If a pretty blonde takes your order, mention Syracuse football. Between watching her reaction and consuming the oyster po boy, you will be in heaven.

"Charley Loeb is the handsomest boy in the whole wide world!"

The course, BTW, is also very nice.

Exactly. So long as we don't fall off a cliff next year, we are set up well for the future.

This is a big reason why the QB who wins the job at the outset may not be the one who has the job by mid to late season (I'm not just referring to a potential injury). That Penn State game has all the makings of a run the ball slugfest. Both teams using a new QB. Both teams are going to play it fairly conservative. If one of the younger QBs has more upside, but might be more mistake prone early, I wouldn't expect that person to be QB1 for the first 2 games. Charley's biggest advantage will be that he has had the most practice reps, and has the best chance of the game being slower for him. Also, if he throws the best deep ball, that's definitely in his favor, it will be one of those take your shots when you can type games. Game 2 is at Northwestern, which is a really tough follow up to all the prep that will go into Penn State. So from our side, likely the same gameplan.

I think if you really want to know the direction we may head at QB, you might have to wait until the FCS game.

McDonald's biggest challenge is to deal with the impatience that will come from following up the most productive offense in school history. New systems take time, and look who he gets right out of the gate with his new starting QB, new starting left side of the OL, new starting WRs.

I agree Chip on the most part, the guy that doesn't lose the game for us may also get the call which may most likely be Loeb but he may not ever lose his job if he is consistently making the right calls. It's going to be how quickly the players/coaches adapt to each other. I don't see a switch midway because since we have so many ex qb's on staff, I think they'll recognize and reward consistency.

McDonald can't be another Hackett, he has to be himself and hopefully he'll have the confidence to do that and along with that...the fans to recognize this as well. I see people making Hackett into something he wasn't...god like in a sense because often when a guy does a good job and leaves they make him out to be something better than he really was. I'm talking about the guy that is the casual fan in the most part the angry one that calls into those talk shows.

It is true. Charley Loeb is huge in Louisiana. If we get to the Sugar Bowl, watch out!

As a side note, the oyster po boy she served me was top notch...the best po boy I ever ate.

If you are ever near Thibodaux, stop by the La Tour Golf Course and get one. If a pretty blonde takes your order, mention Syracuse football. Between watching her reaction and consuming the oyster po boy, you will be in heaven.

"Charley Loeb is the handsomest boy in the whole wide world!"

The course, BTW, is also very nice.

Hey Tomcat: make sure my fellow yankees pronounce Thibodaux right, and God help them if they head north and stop in Natchitoches for some meat pies there! The locals will eat them alive!

All is not what it appears: just remember how Skaneatles is pronounced. Even Pulaski...

Hey Tomcat: make sure my fellow yankees pronounce Thibodaux right, and God help them if they head north and stop in Natchitoches for some meat pies there! The locals will eat them alive!

All is not what it appears: just remember how Skaneatles is pronounced. Even Pulaski...

Charley Loeb's biggest fan pronounced it, if I remember correctly,

Tib-a-dough

Is that close enough for an ignorant Yankee?

Charley Loeb's biggest fan pronounced it, if I remember correctly,

Tib-a-dough

Is that close enough for an ignorant Yankee?

your right and a lot of them has the last name of Tib-a-dough and don't trust them

I'm expecting Loeb to be above average and possibly even very good next season. Am I the only one?

If he can duplicate RJ Anderson from 2001 I'll be thrilled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom