what if: Mike jones | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

what if: Mike jones

he had the skills to be an all BE 1st teamer.
What if. . .Jones hadn't qualified? He was very close to not making it.

Instead, we may get Lazar Hayward, who was a terrific player at Marquette--18ppg/7.5 rebs. as a senior.

What if. . .Jones hadn't qualified? He was very close to not making it.

Instead, we may get Lazar Hayward, who was a terrific player at Marquette--18ppg/7.5 rebs. as a senior.
Than i would of been happy, ive akways liked his games.

While I'm not debating that plenty of transfers wash out, Ramel "Rock" Lloyd is not one of them. In three seasons at Long Beach St., he averaged 18, 15, and 19 points a game.

And, in addition to the previously mentioned Bobby Lazor and Richard Manning, 'Cuse has had a ton of transfers who did quite well at other schools.

Here's a few:

Earl Duncan averaged 15ppg at Rutgers over 2 seasons.
Keith Hughes went for 20pts & 9rb a game over 2 seasons at Rutgers - wining A-10 player of the year.
Matt Roe averaged almost 18 points a game in his one season at Maryland.
Anthony Harris led Hawaii in scoring in 1999 with 22.4 ppg
DeShaun Williams averaged 15ppg and 5rpg in his one season at Iona.
Eric Williams became a solid, if unspectacular, role player at UMASS averaging 5ppg and 4rpg over 2 seasons
James Thues averaged 9 points a game in 2 seasons at Detroit Mercy

Not making the NBA isn't washing out. If it were, then 90% of Syracuse's players have washed out.
i'm surprised to read this and have people state that transfers had "success" only one player on this list played at a major, matt roe. james thues wouldn't have played a minute here, mcnamara and edelin came in and he left. deshaun at iona? he should have scored 30 a game there. these guys were decent players but not everyone belongs here and i don't think this list means anything, unless you are saying that there are good players that couldn't get minutes here because we are generally so stacked.

Earl Duncan is an all-time "what-if" guy. Shouldn't have left; would've been very good for us in 1990.
Amazing how that played out. Duncan left in '88 primarily because Matt Roe cut into his playing time and didn't want to wait behind Sherman, then Matt Roe left in '89 because Dave Johnson started cutting into his PT. In 1990, both are now gone, and Johnson's shot wasn't there yet...leaving lack of a PG (if I remember Duncan could play PG and SG) and outside shooting as major flaws on a absolutely loaded team. Even with that, they did very well, were #1 for a large part of the season, went 26-4 in the regular season, but never found the chemistry and ultimately fell short. Duncan and/or Roe would have filled a huge void on that team. Losing Kenny Anderson was brutal too.

Amazing how that played out. Duncan left in '88 primarily because Matt Roe cut into his playing time and didn't want to wait behind Sherman, then Matt Roe left in '89 because Dave Johnson started cutting into his PT. In 1990, both are now gone, and Johnson's shot wasn't there yet...leaving lack of a PG (if I remember Duncan could play PG and SG) and outside shooting as major flaws on a absolutely loaded team. Even with that, they did very well, were #1 for a large part of the season, went 26-4 in the regular season, but never found the chemistry and ultimately fell short. Duncan and/or Roe would have filled a huge void on that team. Losing Kenny Anderson was brutal too.

Missing out on Kenny Anderson was HUGE. Perhaps the biggest recruit in program history we didn't connect on [thanks to GT $$$]. That 1990 team was loaded, but didn't have a point guard. Ugh...

Duncan probably could have filled that role pretty well. Kid was a high profile recruit, and he sure as hell would have been better than Michael Edwards. Big missed opportunity that year.

The reason Roe left is up for debate...

Everything that could have gone wrong in the backcourt did go wrong.

Even so, I think Edwards was better than some give him credit for in his first year (easier to be a decent point guard with Coleman, Owens, Stevie, and Johnson on the team). As you said, the chemistry was never there; our teams of that era didn't bring the daily effort that our most recent editions have. Still, I'd like to have seen the 1990 group with Duncan and/or Roe in the lineup. Sweet Sixteen flame-out to an inferior team seems less likely in that scenario.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom