What is an acceptable margin for victory against Wagner this weekend? | Syracusefan.com

What is an acceptable margin for victory against Wagner this weekend?

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
I know the spread is -27, but with it being our home opener and our team desperately needing something positive to happen, would a 27-point margin be acceptable against a team that just lost to a Division II team?

Maybe I'm being unrealistic, but I am really hoping for a +30 game Saturday. First road game of the season for Wagner, first game ever against a true FBS team (played Florida Atlantic last year, that's it).

Of note: Syracuse beat Stony Brook by 11, beat Rhode Island by 7 and beat Maine by 22 in our last three outings vs. FCS schools.

I'll settle for a comfortable win. Recent games against FCS teams have been torture.

Anything less than a 40 point margin of victory would be extremely disappointing.

snltexas.png

Just me talking but I would go out and try to hang t least 70 on them, not kidding. I would say the minimum is 24-28 margin.

I think you will a 38-7 win with more running yards than passing

I think you have to look at more than just final score. If the game is 10-10 late in the 3rd and then we have a 30pt 4th quarter thanks to D and ST then it doesn't matter(30pts), fans will still be miffed. If the offense cruises to a 35-10 halftime score and we play backups the entire 2nd half trading TDs for a final of 42-17(25pts) then fans will be much happier even though we didn't cover the spread. That to me is the barometer, not how much we win by but how we do it. A methodical dismantling of Wagner is what we need.

I think you have to look at more than just final score. If the game is 10-10 late in the 3rd and then we have a 30pt 4th quarter thanks to D and ST then it doesn't matter(30pts), fans will still be miffed. If the offense cruises to a 35-10 halftime score and we play backups the entire 2nd half trading TDs for a final of 42-17(25pts) then fans will be much happier even though we didn't cover the spread. That to me is the barometer, not how much we win by but how we do it. A methodical dismantling of Wagner is what we need.

Amen. I just want to see us go out and execute properly, and play superior to them on both sides of the ball en route to a commanding win. I want this game to be a confidence builder, not a disappointing close game. I really want to see how we bounce back from starting 0-2. I want to see the OL perform better, and I want to see the QB [whichever one plays most] not make mistakes and avoid turning the ball over. I want to see the running game get on track. And I want to see us sack the opposing QB 8 times, and record 10 TFLs.

20+ points while experimenting on offense running both qb's and rotating through all the rb and wr combinations to find lightning in a bottle would be acceptable.

Honestly I don't care as long as we win AND we use the four quarters productively to try new things and refine our execution in a live game.

Id like to see at least a 21 point victory. Most important to me would be establishing the running game..id like to see at least 240 yards on the ground. Id like to see 200 minimum in the air as well, and i want to see a special teams or defensive TD. I dont think any of these are outlandish hopes..and we should be able to do this against Wagner. I want to see Allen throw NO PICKS and it would be nice to see him look at more than one target on every down and stop being so damn predictable.

In addition i want to see Brisly used in more ways than just a screen pass. Ashton needs at least 12 balls thrown his way as well. That is all.

At least three TDs with a two point conversion in there for some practice there. That should be a conservative point difference. What I really want is 30+ points. I've got o get the wifi television upgrade. Watching anything on my computer screen is an act of desperation only.

thanks for this. I had to look it up as my SNL is a bit rusty, couldn't stop laughing while watching the clip. Thanks again.

If the game is anywhere near close by halftime, I'm shutting down my computer and looking for less painful pursuits - like asking my wife if I can go along shopping with her ...

I know the spread is -27, but with it being our home opener and our team desperately needing something positive to happen, would a 27-point margin be acceptable against a team that just lost to a Division II team?

Maybe I'm being unrealistic, but I am really hoping for a +30 game Saturday. First road game of the season for Wagner, first game ever against a true FBS team (played Florida Atlantic last year, that's it).

Of note: Syracuse beat Stony Brook by 11, beat Rhode Island by 7 and beat Maine by 22 in our last three outings vs. FCS schools.

I hate margin of victory as a measurement of anything. Just the same, I know from the standpoint of perception you have to put a beating on someone in order to make people think you have improved. Have to win by 5 tds against Wagner in order to create that impression. But more importantly, we have to correct our mistakes, and look like a functioning offense, defense, ST, staff, etc.