What is Chino's full potential? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What is Chino's full potential?

True, he was and still is a project, and agree that with limited scholarships we have to be more selective. But, like in DC2's case, a little too early to tell if this project succeeds or fails. Rak hadn't shown much prior to last year. Chino still has 2 years to improve (this one has just begun).
Rak was McD All-American. Rak played 425 minutes as Freshman. Chino has played 110 minutes in his career.

I would be patience if Chino had the upside Rak did. I just want Chino to be a rotation player.

Rak was McD All-American. Rak played 425 minutes as Freshman. Chino has played 110 minutes in his career.

I would be patience if Chino had the upside Rak did. I just want Chino to be a rotation player.

Only underscores the point, really. Even All-Americans with lots of PT still don't always pan out until their Sr year.

Chino will be a rotation player by default. All that's needed from him is solid D and rebounding to be serviceable anyway. And he may actually provide that.

Chino outplayed DC against Lehigh and their big man was a very highly rated center, just saying.
And against Bonaventure we extended once Lydon came in for 15 minutes to get offense and some pressure D.

Oddly enough I think Chino did pretty good as Lehigh attacked him one on one alot instead of posting him up, and he stood his ground. I think he could fair decent against guards and forwards that try to drive into him at times.

DC is going to get 5 minutes each half to play. Kaleb and Chino might not in some instances that makes a difference.

Only underscores the point, really. Even All-Americans with lots of PT still don't always pan out until their Sr year.

Chino will be a rotation player by default. All that's needed from him is solid D and rebounding to be serviceable anyway. And he may actually provide that.
Comparing Chino to Rak's development doesn't work. Rak played at all-conference level his Senior year but he was always a good player on the court he just wasn't an all-conference player. He was solid all 4 years defensively. Chino is not a going to make that leap. I just want the kid to be able to play 10mpg.

Sorry it doesn't underscore the point. Rak was a solid player all 4 years not a 1 year player. He was dominant his Senior year.

Chino outplayed DC against Lehigh and their big man was a very highly rated center, just saying.
And against Bonaventure we extended once Lydon came in for 15 minutes to get offense and some pressure D.

Oddly enough I think Chino did pretty good as Lehigh attacked him one on one alot instead of posting him up, and he stood his ground. I think he could fair decent against guards and forwards that try to drive into him at times.

DC is going to get 5 minutes each half to play. Kaleb and Chino might not in some instances that makes a difference.
The Lehigh game is what scared me. I understood the non-playing time against St. Bonnie's as we were trying to win that game and Lydon was great at the 5 against that small team.

I watched the Lehigh game and was scared he fouled out in 15 minutes. Both Coleman/Chino struggled against Lehigh. I watch Coleman though and just see rust. I watch Chino and I don't see the same upside as Coleman.

imo.
Coleman is a widerframe, 250 pounds to Chinos 215, and a inch or two taller. Not a fair upside or potential comparison. The only one I trust not getting sealed off is Coleman which is what scares me the most. Chino has to learn to play behind opposing bigs because of it. But he isn't built like a Keita/Riley/Forth either I would compare him more to a undersized underweight AO/Rick Jackson/Dajuan type. He could fit well as a PF on some teams.

I know its early but would like to see us tinker around with a full on 3-2 zone or a 1-2-2 zone or something to that nature if the rebounding doesn't get better. Either that or send our whole team to get defensive rebounds.
I don't feel transition points will be as important this year as we have the shooters to hit 3's off of defensive stands. Going for them every game might not be the best strategy.

Last edited:
Comparing Chino to Rak's development doesn't work. Rak played at all-conference level his Senior year but he was always a good player on the court he just wasn't an all-conference player. He was solid all 4 years defensively. Chino is not a going to make that leap. I just want the kid to be able to play 10mpg.

Sorry it doesn't underscore the point. Rak was a solid player all 4 years not a 1 year player. He was dominant his Senior year.

Not comparing "Chino to Rak's development". The underscored point was about development, period. Some players improve, some don't. He's a WIP, for sure and may never work out, like Riley. But to write him off now is premature, IMO. Not even remotely an expert opinion here, but the staff did see something there, and so do I. Potential at least.

I think Obokoh could be a solid pf in anothers system. He is a bit undersized and underweight for a center. Finding a way to make that a advantage on a few plays couldn't hurt.

I answered the posed question with an honest appraisal of where he stands now. Tell me where it is incorrect. He may improve he may not. Get off your high horse and contribute something to the discussion rather than attacking what is said without any input to that appraisal. Not all players pan out. My biggest complaint about him is he has not shown much improvement in his time here. He is no where to be compared to BMK.
Simmer down, Hoss- no need to be so defensive.
And no one is "attacking " anything, just simply pointing out where these types of premature assessments have failed in the past, and w/ many other players early in their careers.
Also, I was mostly referencing another post (now deleted), not necessarily singling anyone out. It's all good.:noidea:

Last edited:
obokoh is in the sean Williams category. bring in a big guy and see if he can play. well he can't and if not for the scholarship restraints this guy would not see the floor, ever.

Obokoh directly enabled us to get Chukwu. So perhaps it wasn't a waste after all.

He may have helped but we were still a VERY attractive if not the most attractive destination for Chukwu without Chinoso. Automatic starting role, plenty of minutes out the gate and playing in the zone to highlight his greatest strength.

It was said too often that Bryant was a lock because of him and a great recruiting tool for him and that proved false. Chin or no Chin, Chukwu probably would have came here anyway.

I think Obokoh could be a solid pf in anothers system. He is a bit undersized and underweight for a center. Finding a way to make that a advantage on a few plays couldn't hurt.
a solid PF in anothers system? what are you talking about? he can't catch, he can't score, he can't defend, What are you talking about.

He may have helped but we were still a VERY attractive if not the most attractive destination for Chukwu without Chinoso. Automatic starting role, plenty of minutes out the gate and playing in the zone to highlight his greatest strength.

It was said too often that Bryant was a lock because of him and a great recruiting tool for him and that proved false. Chin or no Chin, Chukwu probably would have came here anyway.

Well... I think Bryant was considered a lock for reasons that had absolutely nothing to do with Obokoh. Chino was merely a supplemental ace in the hole, not the main draw.

Chukwu may or may not have chosen to come here [we were on his short list out of HS], but that article a few weeks ago outlined how important the Nigerian factor was to Chukwu. Obokoh played a role in him coming here.

Well... I think Bryant was considered a lock for reasons that had absolutely nothing to do with Obokoh. Chino was merely a supplemental ace in the hole, not the main draw.

Chukwu may or may not have chosen to come here [we were on his short list out of HS], but that article a few weeks ago outlined how important the Nigerian factor was to Chukwu. Obokoh played a role in him coming here.
we don't even know if chukwu is good, so acting like keeping obokoh around was instrumental in landing a better player is completely premature at this point.

we don't even know if chukwu is good, so acting like keeping obokoh around was instrumental in landing a better player is completely premature at this point.

The coaches know exactly what they have in Chukwu, and they are thrilled. Your position is reasonable, but you'll be changing that tune soon enough.

It may have been important but the things I mentioned far outweigh the Nigerian connection. If the kid wants an NBA paycheck one day he picked the right place to do it. Seemingly automatic starting spot, defense that showcases his best asset, and as much playing time as he wants as long as he doesn't foul out. Add that to the fact he considered coming here before, I don't think Chinoso being here really had that much to do with it.

It is a nice story and people say nice things. I think this is one of those.

The coaches know exactly what they have in Chukwu, and they are thrilled. Your position is reasonable, but you'll be changing that tune soon enough.
so whether or not chukwu is good, please tell me you are not implying (as the other poster was) that keeping obokoh around was a plan to land chukwu as a transfer, rather than blind luck. chukwu is huge, and I hope he is good, but that is as far as I can get with it at this point.

so whether or not chukwu is good, please tell me you are not implying (as the other poster was) that keeping obokoh around was a plan to land chukwu as a transfer, rather than blind luck. chukwu is huge, and I hope he is good, but that is as far as I can get with it at this point.

What I said, if you'd bothered to read, was that Obokoh was instrumental in Chukwu transferring here. I didn't say that it was some mastermind grand scheme of the coaching staff to bring him in to land Chukwu two years later.

Chukwu isn't just tall, he's athletic as hell. He's got a great weight room work ethic. He's going to be phenomenal in our system.

I'm wondering if it's not too late to lend him to SS for the last two games as a tight end.. Oh wait. Did someone say he can't catch? Nevermind.

It looks like Chino has just been passed for the 2nd center spot. Personally I think it is exciting to see an offensive threat make the move into the rotation. Didn't see that coming.

My hope for Chino is he can play D and rebound at a level where he can be trusted for 10-15 mpgs. If Chino can provide that JB will have C options at the end of the game, both DC2 and Lydon should then be able to avoid foul problems.

Although it is a limited sample size, it is looking like Lydon is someone you want on the floor at the end of tight games.

We haven't been that strong in the talent evaluation area of late. :)

That being said, agree on Chukwu, from the vids it seems like he's going to be an integral part of the team going forward and ready to go next season. You have to like the movement/athleticism from a guy that size. Can't wait to see more of him - hope he lives up to some of the hype.

In regard to Chino, I'm just not seeing an upside. As Scotch mentioned, the Otis Hill comparison is pie in the sky. Otis was good. Outside of Lehigh, Chino has played very much like what you would expect from a walk-on. He's a 5 foul guy at best IMO. I'm not seeing much else, at this point you usually see something to grasp onto in regard to upside, I haven't seen anything though. As always with the negative posts, hope I'm wrong!!!

I will say the Lehigh game was encouraging on the defensive end, if we keep seeing that, and see it against a better team, I would be very pleased. Seems like a good kid though, on a deeper roster, probably wouldn't matter so much...

Simmer down, Hoss- no need to be so defensive.
And no one is "attacking " anything, just simply pointing out where these types of premature assessments have failed in the past, and w/ many other players early in their careers.
Also, I was mostly referencing another post (now deleted), not necessarily singling anyone out. It's all good.:noidea:

You posted your original comment with only five posts ahead of yours two of them were sarcastic, one the original question. I guess you feel any comments on players are out of bounds. My original comments about your post still apply, simmer on that. He shows little progress toward being a contributor.

It is no longer early in his career, actually getting pretty late, because eligibility wise he has one year left. I do not think evaluations at this time are premature, maybe you want us to wait till he is no longer eligible.

Last edited:
I actually still have hope for Chino. I felt that he looked better in the Lehigh game than he'd ever looked before. He didn't look great against St. Bonnie, but having one solid game and then one bad one is an improvement from last year. I also don't particularly care if he fouls a lot since he's not so integral to the team that fouling out matters, and the guys he fouls will often be poor FT shooters. I mean, it's not ideal, but if he plays solid interior defense, especially help D on drivers, then I'll be more than happy. I'm not saying I'm sure that it's gonna happen, but I think there's still a solid chance he becomes a Jeremy McNeil/poor man's BMK on D.

I actually still have hope for Chino. I felt that he looked better in the Lehigh game than he'd ever looked before. He didn't look great against St. Bonnie, but having one solid game and then one bad one is an improvement from last year. I also don't particularly care if he fouls a lot since he's not so integral to the team that fouling out matters, and the guys he fouls will often be poor FT shooters. I mean, it's not ideal, but if he plays solid interior defense, especially help D on drivers, then I'll be more than happy. I'm not saying I'm sure that it's gonna happen, but I think there's still a solid chance he becomes a Jeremy McNeil/poor man's BMK on D.

Dreams are good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom