What is favorite Orange Bball play/moment? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What is favorite Orange Bball play/moment?

The final margin was 14, but it was never that close, we were winning by 30 at times.

Yeah, we went on a huge run in the first half to go up 20, including those back to back Deshaun Williams 3's, and never looked back. I remember a great alley-oop to Damone Brown at some point in that game, and I remember Jason Hart locking up El-Amin and the quote that went something like "cut the head off the snake and the body dies". One of the few big games from that era that I wasn't at, and I really wished I was. The Dome looked like a madhouse on TV that night.

I've never heard the Dome louder. Literally.

The VT game where we won on the last play, the Tennessee game, the Florida game [all football], and the 2003 Pitt hoops game came close.
The end of that 2003 Pitt game was crazy! I remember Hakim and Melo quoted after the game that during the last time out, they couldnt hear a word Boeheim was saying and the floor was literally shaking!

Sherm's hike.
Pearls ankle breaker against gtown
A Red Bruin dunk that I swear he caught an alley oops, hung in the air, and then went up another few inches to slam it home.
Hak's block.

Sticking with my obscure Orange moments, this play by Baye Moussa Keita against Marquette 02/25/2013 (in a frustrating loss, Big Boy Davante Gardner scored 26 :confused:) had me falling off my couch with a mixture of shock, laughter and pure joy. Whoever put this video together summarized it well... I apologize again at the low quality, cannot seem to find it anywhere else. Enjoy.

Sticking with my obscure Orange moments, this play by Baye Moussa Keita against Marquette 02/25/2013 (in a frustrating loss, Big Boy Davante Gardner scored 26 :confused:) had me falling off my couch with a mixture of shock, laughter and pure joy. Whoever put this video together summarized it well... I apologize again at the low quality, cannot seem to find it anywhere else. Enjoy.

The low quality and the terrible background music;)

It is so hard to pick one and seeing as though everyone has said the Pearl half court shot, Hak's block and tea bag I will go with Ennis 3-pt winner at Pitt. The best part is when he ran down to the student section and told them, " u"

There are so many! But I have to give my nod to just one of many made by they guy who best exemplifies the grit, determination, desire and making the most of what you've got that is the essence of Syracuse Basketball. And no one ever did that more than GMAC.

There are so many great moments. I'm going to pick two one didn't happen during a game but before and featured one of my all time favorite players. The other happened during a game and featured a key member of the team who was neither a player or coach.
The first was the 1st time I ever saw sweet D doing his Harlem globe trotter like warm up. It was and remains one of the best syracuse memories of all time.

The second was when Father B went crazy over a bad call I think in a St. Johns game and was removed from the stadium.

Two amazing moments and memories.

Not my favorite moment but I love the Conrad McRae buzzer beater at Villanova. Definitely up there.
I believe it was at The Spectre and it was at the exact same time in the game and the same place and the same amount of time left as the Christian Laettner shot. Not as much on the line, obviously, but very exciting - and a little spooky, too!

One of my favorites was during the national championship game against Indiana. First half, Sherm has the ball on the break and attempts an allie oop to the left side, I think to Triche, but it gets deflected by the Indiana defender to the right side. Seikaly comes out of nowhere, picks it out of the air and throws it down. I didn't appreciate Seikaly at the time, but what an athlete.

Haks Block
rick jackson pegging the back of a cornell or colgate player in the back of the head at halfcourt off a outlet pass i think it was 10-11.
Jackson Making a shu player(i won't name names) shoot a jumpshot backwards towards the sideline in the dome 09-10.
These shouldn't be my favorite but hey I enjoy a good laugh on a great team.
Wes Johnson hanging dunk early season, rautins throwing the ball directly over the head of a colgate player in 09-10. so many good ones in 09-10 that whole season had that special feeling like 02-03 (not even 11-12 with Fab/Dion, or our 25-0 start shared those honors as a healthy confident 27-2 would have been better imo) that season just felt special the whole time even when AO went down it was still real special.

Any dunk by Jeremy Grant and MCW halfcourt drive and dunk @st johns, the rack wrecker.

boy this is really tough question.
my all time favorite (not at the time but now)
Kansas missing that last shot at the buzzer as good as Haks block was, it wasn't over to Duany caught that ball in midair.
I think I was in alittle bit of shock there, tough to imagine syracuse winning a title for alot of people in those days. I think we knew then nothing else could possibly go wrong. What a sigh of relief
Anything else is reserved for the next title.

Last edited:
I agree with most of the greatest ones stated so far. I like this one because I was at the game:

"Syracuse played St. John’s in the second round. The Orange led 58-51 with less than 4 minutes to go in the game; they would not score again in regulation, and Ron Artest tied the game with a lay up at the end of regulation. Syracuse had the score tied 67-67 as time was winding down in overtime. They got the ball to Todd Burgan for the last shot, but Burgan was off balance. He spotted Blackwell and threw him a nice pass; Burgan then took the jumper and won the game 69-67. Etan Thomas tied a Big East tournament record with 8 blocked shots."

I still vividly recall a vicious Reggie Powell reverse throw down back in Manley. The dunk had only recently been restored to the college game; this was certainly not the typical dunk at the time, but more like something you might see from Julius Erving.

You had to be there, as no film of this probably exists. Some of our posters here remember, I'm sure.

Hak block
Pearl's half court shot
Sherman's hike
John Thompson getting ejected in the Dome in 1990. The atmosphere was so electric in those days.

I agree with most of the greatest ones stated so far. I like this one because I was at the game:

"Syracuse played St. John’s in the second round. The Orange led 58-51 with less than 4 minutes to go in the game; they would not score again in regulation, and Ron Artest tied the game with a lay up at the end of regulation. Syracuse had the score tied 67-67 as time was winding down in overtime. They got the ball to Todd Burgan for the last shot, but Burgan was off balance. He spotted Blackwell and threw him a nice pass; Burgan then took the jumper and won the game 69-67. Etan Thomas tied a Big East tournament record with 8 blocked shots."

Interesting spin by that writer - as I remember it, Burgan walked, coughed the ball up, and it somehow found its way into Blackwell's hands. So kind of like a nice pass, but not quite.

Either way, that was a huge moment. Loved it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom