What Is 'Rhetorical Studies'? | Syracusefan.com

What Is 'Rhetorical Studies'?

Symphony Steve

All American
Was going through the NBA rosters to see where the SU guys were playing, and I noticed that three SU alums, recent alums, had majored in Rhetorical Studies.

So, can someone tell me what that major is all about, and if it's essentially a 'gut' major for athletes? Kinda like what 'Recreational Science' used to be at ACC/SEC institutions?

Was going through the NBA rosters to see where the SU guys were playing, and I noticed that three SU alums, recent alums, had majored in Rhetorical Studies.

So, can someone tell me what that major is all about, and if it's essentially a 'gut' major for athletes? Kinda like what 'Recreational Science' used to be at ACC/SEC institutions?

Is this a Rhetorical question? :p

Since that's a "rhetorical" question, I'm not going to answer.

[Darn. Missed it by that much.]

images

Ironically, it seems like a poorly-worded program title. Kinda sounds, on the face of it, like something to be ignored or something only theoretical and non-concrete. Just changing the form of the word to "Rhetoric" sorta takes the 'flimsiness' away, no?

Last edited:
Ottomets can help out with this one. I think RS is interdisciplinary ... mostly communications but some traditional liberal arts courses (grammar, logic, linguistic analysis - part of philosophy). Communications itself is a subset of business (applied science), not liberal arts. So I have no experience with that. I do have an undergraduate degree in philosophy, so I can tell you that if philo courses are taught at SU --- they're most likely pretty tough.

Am I close, Otto?