What is the penalty if we leave before 27 months? | Syracusefan.com

What is the penalty if we leave before 27 months?

44PRIDE

All Conference
Everyone knows the deal...$5 million and 27 months.

So assuming the BE wants to be a hardass and make us stay, what would the penalty be if we left early?

No way we're in beyond next year...and I'd bet on playing ACC next year. BE wants to get paid and there's too much interest from us/acc in getting out. plus, holding us against our will could get really ugly for the big east if their goal is salvaging anything. two lame duck teams badmouthing the leadership doesn't make for an attractive situation to woo new members or effectively restructure. It's really in their interest to get this done and move on to the future, versus the continual harping on the screwups of the past. there will be a settlment. big east will get paid, lawyers will get paid, and we'll be out.

Everyone knows the deal...$5 million and 27 months.

So assuming the BE wants to be a hardass and make us stay, what would the penalty be if we left early?

I wonder that myself. What if the ACC modified their schedules to include us and we just didn't show up for the BE games. :)

I wonder that myself. What if the ACC modified their schedules to include us and we just didn't show up for the BE games. :)

I was having exactly the same thought. We could get 2 losses in one day (lose to our ACC opponent and lose a game by forfeit in the BE). And in doing so violate the NCAA limit of 28 (29?) regular season games.;)

the Big East. If they want to get shitty with us, the time for getting shitty with them has started.

I'd call out all of the reasons we left, and why no one should join that shitshow. I'd negative recruit like hell.

I was having exactly the same thought. We could get 2 losses in one day (lose to our ACC opponent and lose a game by forfeit in the BE). And in doing so violate the NCAA limit of 28 (29?) regular season games.;)

LOL

Well, to be sure, if you skipped the BE games (8 of those) for 8 ACC games. I assume you could play your OOC games as scheduled, so you'd only end up with 20 regular season games. Also, the NCAA says you can't *play* 28 games. You'd only be playing 12.

The actual problem you'd run into would be getting sued. You'd be making it such that the TV partners of the BE would not have the games to broadcast, and that loses them money.

Well, to be sure, if you skipped the BE games (8 of those) for 8 ACC games. I assume you could play your OOC games as scheduled, so you'd only end up with 20 regular season games. Also, the NCAA says you can't *play* 28 games. You'd only be playing 12.

The actual problem you'd run into would be getting sued. You'd be making it such that the TV partners of the BE would not have the games to broadcast, and that loses them money.

So play the walkons in front of no one. No need to pay for anything more than the lighting and still get a TV paycheck if they care to televise it.

I think this was answered in another thread. There may be breach of contract liabilities from the TV deal, as SU's games would not be available for the BE TV schedule.

So play the walkons in front of no one. No need to pay for anything more than the lighting and still get a TV paycheck if they care to televise it.
Just saw on the noon channel 3 (Syracuse) news, football team allowed to start in ACC next year. The basketball team the year after.

Just saw on the noon channel 3 (Syracuse) news, football team allowed to start in ACC next year. The basketball team the year after.
Sounds like liljoe's little birdie was rock solid...

i was hoping to play tcu atleast once but thanks okay id much rather get in the acc right away

This is total crap by the BE. This is a football thing, so bow can the fb team leave and they need us for the bloated basketball league?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure there'll be a buyout, but the timing will probably also depend on the ability of the BEC to find at least one viable replacement, assuming they keep TCU, since there's an 8 team minimum for AQ conferences.

I'm sure there'll be a buyout, but the timing will probably also depend on the ability of the BEC to find at least one viable replacement, assuming they keep TCU, since there's an 8 team minimum for AQ conferences.

Come on, the Big East needs 17 teams in 2012-13.

Not to get legal I wish someone in the SU AD's office would email me info (hint hint if anybody knows anybody) taking Contracts class I am sure there is some ridiculous liquidated damage provision in the Big East Conference bylaws that would make it hard for us to repudiate the agreement. However, if there was a case to make that the Big East or Commissioner breached his fiduciary duties then SU could have legal standing to break the agreement.

This is total crap by the BE. This is a football thing, so bow can the fb team leave and they need us for the bloated basketball league?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Basketball only schools dictate how the league works... Why did SU leave...? That's why :bang:

Basketball only schools dictate how the league works... Why did SU leave...? That's why :bang:
That's what never made sense to me as an outsider looking in. If my school were in a conference like the BE where half the conference only plays 1 sport and the other half plays 2, I would want my 2 sport school to have double the voting power than a school that only played 1 sport. At least when we're talking about contracts where our collective product is both football games and basketball games. Why would a school like Syracuse (or Pitt, WVU, etc) spend the money on schollys, coaches, facilities, etc to field a football team, but agree to have the same voting power as schools (Marquette, GTown, etc) that do not?

If Syracuse refused to play Big East games, it would be subject to money damages from the conference, a possible court injunction requiring it to play the games, possible suit by Big East TV networks for tortiously interfering with the Big East TV contracts, and the ACC could get sued for tortiously interfering with SU's contractual obligations to the Big East. Bottom line, there will be a deal and SU won't be breaching its contractual obligations.

If Syracuse refused to play Big East games, it would be subject to money damages from the conference, a possible court injunction requiring it to play the games, possible suit by Big East TV networks for tortiously interfering with the Big East TV contracts, and the ACC could get sued for tortiously interfering with SU's contractual obligations to the Big East. Bottom line, there will be a deal and SU won't be breaching its contractual obligations.

SU's counter offer

images

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom