What is there to look forward to? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What is there to look forward to?

Look, I love JB, and I'm highly appreciative of his incalculable contributions over the years. I think he is a top 10 all time great in college basketball. He's been the coach for my entire life, and it is difficult in that respect to envision what comes next.

But I can acknowledge BOTH his unparalleled past success / accomplishments AND the fact that the program has slipped into a sustained period of mediocrity. We are no longer an elite program -- the status quo has become the new normal -- and it won't change until there IS change.

When JB hangs 'em up, I will applaud him for his success, revel in all of his accomplishments, and salute him for the years of joy he's brought me as an SU fan. But I'll also look forward to the future and a new beginning.

It's beyond time.
It is going to be a very strange day when Jim is no longer on the sidelines. Certainly the end of an era, and emotional thinking about all of the memories; the highs, the lows, everything in between. But nothing is forever and that's how it goes.

Right now it’s all about the development of the younger players and the eventual transition to a new coach. But to be honest, we shouldn’t expect much in terms of success over the next few years. Unless we land a transfer that can match Hughes’ offensive exploits, we’ll likely struggle again next year. We should hope that the team is capable of earning a tourney berth the following year in what we believe will be JB’s curtain call.

That’s about as much optimism as I can provide. Wins will be harder to come by and recruiting will become more challenging as JB says goodbye.

We will not step out of mediocrity until a full overhaul in the staff is done IMO. I am worried to death the AD will keep this all in the orange family and hire an assistant. If that happens I do not think we get out of mediocrity until that fails. We need to start acting like an elite program soon, as in a big proven coach. That’s what I’m looking forward to.

JB you were the best gift the SU program could’ve asked for to establish the foundation of an elite program. All fans will thank him and honor his elite career. But, it’s time for change and a spark in the program.

Lol these hypotheticals are hilarious to me. Not trying to pick on you.
You are saying taking a hypothetically developed year 2 Edwards and Ajak and placing them on this year's team?

This is what we've become. Thinking up absurd scenarios different from the reality and just day dreaming.
I don't believe there is anything absurd about Edwards being a good contributor next year. In fact, my hope is that by the time we're halfway through the ACC schedule this year we'll see minutes from him. He looks very athletic and smooth in the limited time we saw him this year. He just needs time to develop.

Ajak, I really have no opinion on.

Not for nothing but Buddy is probably going to smash the SU season record for 3s attempted and 3s made, and he has an outside chance at setting the ACC record for attempts. So we have that to look forward to.

I definitely didn't see this coming!

I don't believe there is anything absurd about Edwards being a good contributor next year. In fact, my hope is that by the time we're halfway through the ACC schedule this year we'll see minutes from him. He looks very athletic and smooth in the limited time we saw him this year. He just needs time to develop.

Ajak, I really have no opinion on.

Sorry, you misunderstood.

The absurdity is that we're piecing together make believe teams to distract from this year's stink.
Essentially just coming up with more what-if scenarios.

I can't blame folks, I guess. But the scenarios keep getting odder. This is the first one I've seen that took FUTURE players and placed them on today's team. Usually it's something like "what if we had Rak?".

I agree on Edwards.

Not for nothing but Buddy is probably going to smash the SU season record for 3s attempted and 3s made, and he has an outside chance at setting the ACC record for attempts. So we have that to look forward to.

maybe he'll declare for the draft

After the last 2 games I'm about as depressed as one can be concerning SU basketball. Terrible defense. No interior scoring, although Guerrier shows the most promise. VT showed that aggressive defense on the 3-point shooters will shut Boeheim, Girard and Hughes down. (Makes me wonder about Saturday's game against UVA. Will we get 34 points?) Just 17 3-pointers attempted in 120 minutes on the court. Only 6 made. 6 assists against VT. No bench, or at least JB doesn't play the bench.

I'm interested In understanding why anyone thinks next year will be better? Hughes might leave. No incoming Freshman of any significance. I would love to see us get that Ivy League center. But if we don't . . .

I don't even know.

Seems like JB won't play the freshmen unless he absolutely has to, so I doubt we'll see much more from Goodine/Edwards.

Marek/Sidibe/Buddy all seem like they're basically operating an maximum capacity. Not sure how much more we can expect them to grow/improve.

I'd like to see Eli finish on the 1st team All-ACC, and maybe creep back over the 20ppg mark.

Maybe Buddy can get how and break the school record for 3's in a season?

QG/JG3 improving is about the best we can root for outside of individual accolades. Let's hope they play well down the stretch.

After the last 2 games I'm about as depressed as one can be concerning SU basketball. Terrible defense. No interior scoring, although Guerrier shows the most promise. VT showed that aggressive defense on the 3-point shooters will shut Boeheim, Girard and Hughes down. (Makes me wonder about Saturday's game against UVA. Will we get 34 points?) Just 17 3-pointers attempted in 120 minutes on the court. Only 6 made. 6 assists against VT. No bench, or at least JB doesn't play the bench.

I'm interested In understanding why anyone thinks next year will be better? Hughes might leave. No incoming Freshman of any significance. I would love to see us get that Ivy League center. But if we don't . . .
Does anybody think that? I know I fully expect an even bigger dumpster fire without Eli especially with all the weaknesses still being in place.

Does anybody think that? I know I fully expect an even bigger dumpster fire without Eli especially with all the weaknesses still being in place.
Hughes leaving? Certainly a possibility. He graduates and is already a giant focus of the offense. I don't think he can be any more of a prospect than he already is. But who knows until it happens, Battle came back for an extra year.

I see things I like from the young freshman. Q had some 'flashes' last night where he looked really good. He oozes potential. Can be a rebounding machine and score points.

I also liked some things I saw from Joe. VT plays some very physical sticky defense and I thought JG by and large handled the ball pretty well. He's getting better at it as the season goes. I also see him starting to assert himself more which I think is a good thing. And is what we'll need next year. He's 15 games into his career coming from Glens Falls and the GF thing seems to be a favorite put down. He's nowhere near his ceiling.

Both have a lot of basketball potential and JG has a lot of leadership qualities to go with it.

We have got to get BETTER in the paint. Period. We need to get thicker, we need an Arinze or Rak who can move people around. There is no if's ands or buts about it. If we don't improve at the 5 & 4 down low we're in big trouble.

Development.
Surprises.
Take each made basket as a mini-success. Forget about the final score. It's like youth Tee Ball now.

Hughes leaving? Certainly a possibility. He graduates and is already a giant focus of the offense. I don't think he can be any more of a prospect than he already is. But who knows until it happens, Battle came back for an extra year.
Oh Hughes is gone in my opinion. I was referring to the comment that some people think next year will be better than this...I too want to understand if anyone believes that and why. It sounds like everyone or nearly everyone sees the writing on the wall for 2020-2021.

I see things I like from the young freshman. Q had some 'flashes' last night where he looked really good. He oozes potential. Can be a rebounding machine and score points.

I also liked some things I saw from Joe. VT plays some very physical sticky defense and I thought JG by and large handled the ball pretty well. He's getting better at it as the season goes. I also see him starting to assert himself more which I think is a good thing. And is what we'll need next year. He's 15 games into his career coming from Glens Falls and the GF thing seems to be a favorite put down. He's nowhere near his ceiling.

Both have a lot of basketball potential and JG has a lot of leadership qualities to go with it.

We have got to get BETTER in the paint. Period. We need to get thicker, we need an Arinze or Rak who can move people around. There is no if's ands or buts about it. If we don't improve at the 5 & 4 down low we're in big trouble.
The problem as I see it is both Girard and Boeheim are SGs. Girard does not have the quickness to play lead PG. I agree that JG is asserting himself more but is not getting foul calls his way. He has actually exceeded my expectations for him this year.

I can't imagine Eli coming back next year. Would love it, but what else could he prove? The conventional 'wisdom' is that he'll be too old for the draft if he waits another year, but i thought there were a few 2019 draftees who were 4-year players who might be changing minds. I'd have to look that up...

So, if he goes to the NBA, what do we have? The same, but without the only potential NBA player on the roster. And with more youth coming in. I don't see anyone on the roster able to replace what Eli does. So, we'll have a bit more experience spread around, but without a more impactful, potential All ACC-type talent.

It'll will be interesting. Especially to see what JBA can do. I really hope he's not a 'project.' He's got coordination and hands, at least. Seems like he'll be competing directly with Woody Newton for Eli's spot?

The Carey/Girard/Richardson thing will be fascinating.

Seeing if I can get through the season without drinking my liver into the ground.

The key is to longevity is to limit your liver to 32 minutes out of 40 to your chosen poison. And drink water as a substitute for the other 8.

Oh Hughes is gone in my opinion. I was referring to the comment that some people think next year will be better than this...I too want to understand if anyone believes that and why. It sounds like everyone or nearly everyone sees the writing on the wall for 2020-2021.
Yeah, I’m unconvinced there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. I mean other than a train.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom