What is your definition of a successful season? | Syracusefan.com

What is your definition of a successful season?

Alsacs

Living Legend
I ask this question because honestly these past 2 games while they have sucked a lot to lose don't really bother me in grand scheme of things. I would like to win the ACC regular season title, but with imbalanced schedules all teams schedules aren't even thus don't really mean anything in the minds of the Selection committee. I like watching Championship Week, but I don't care to win the ACC Conference Tournament unless we have a lot to gain.

My definition of a successful season is getting to the Elite Eight. I didn't think before the season we were as good as we have ended up being. However, Cooney, Grant, Christmas have all made huge leaps. Ennis was better than advertised and C.J. Fair has been the Senior leader of this team.

Regular season games are all about creating resumes for March. If we get seeded in the East region I would amend my expectations from Elite Eight to Final Four.

I just want to win enough games to get the East region that should be the goal of this team the rest of the regular season.

The easy answer is winning the NC but any season we gain respect is a successful season. We gained a ton of respect last year and we'll gain more this year (already have). Ultimately that is what you are playing for. Being in the FF and winning the NC is a means to gain respect.

I want to win out during the regular season. That gives us a tie for first and the first tie breaker. A win in the ACC tournament. Back to the final four. Take our chances there.

Every year is different.

And this year my goals changed with the 25 game win streak and #1 ranking.

I originally wanted to be top 4 in regular season, win the ACC tourney and get bak to the F4,

Not any more.

All I care about now is the last 6 games of the sport, and I want to win them all.

F everything else.

Just play to make sure they win the games in April.

1) Win out regular season. A win over Virginia would be great.
2) One or two seed in NCAA tournament
3) Elite eight or better

An ACC championship would be great, especially the first year, but I would trade one NCAA tournament game for every ACC tournament game. No one remembers conference tournament games, except for the truly exceptional (like 6 OTs).

I ask this question because honestly these past 2 games while they have sucked a lot to lose don't really bother me in grand scheme of things. I would like to win the ACC regular season title, but with imbalanced schedules all teams schedules aren't even thus don't really mean anything in the minds of the Selection committee. I like watching Championship Week, but I don't care to win the ACC Conference Tournament unless we have a lot to gain.

My definition of a successful season is getting to the Elite Eight. I didn't think before the season we were as good as we have ended up being. However, Cooney, Grant, Christmas have all made huge leaps. Ennis was better than advertised and C.J. Fair has been the Senior leader of this team.

Regular season games are all about creating resumes for March. If we get seeded in the East region I would amend my expectations from Elite Eight to Final Four.

I just want to win enough games to get the East region that should be the goal of this team the rest of the regular season.

Basically agree with all this, but I'd really like to see SU "win" the ACC regular season this year. I know it doesn't technically exist, I know the unbalanced schedules, I know it's not as important as the NCAAs. But it would be awesome and a real accomplishment to win the league the first year in. And the crazy thing is that these two losses haven't really changed anything in terms of what SU needs to do to win the conference: beat UVa. (Well, now have to beat everyone else too.)

Don't really care about the ACC tournament, though I assume I will at least somewhat when it happens. The tournaments are fun, and they're important for teams that aren't gunning for a national championship. But for teams at the top, they're really not much more than exhibitions.

The easy answer is winning the NC but any season we gain respect is a successful season. We gained a ton of respect last year and we'll gain more this year (already have). Ultimately that is what you are playing for. Being in the FF and winning the NC is a means to gain respect.

I'm (legitimately) curious about this. Whose respect? And why is that the goal?

Final Four. That is all that matters. Look at how different we look back at last season because of it. The team was a trainwreck, yet we make the final four so it was a successful year. It's all that counts.

Final Four. That is all that matters. Look at how different we look back at last season because of it. The team was a trainwreck, yet we make the final four so it was a successful year. It's all that counts.

Trainwreck? I thought we did pretty good...

With our talent the last 10 years or so, Elite 8 or better. But I would call a regular season title/conference championship AND a sweet 16 or better a successful season too.

I want an ACC title (regular season or tourney is fine) and at least an elite 8 run.

Final four makes this an incredible season all things considered, and cutting down the nets makes it the dream season

Trainwreck? I thought we did pretty good...

10 loss season; lost 4 of our last 5 games to finish the regular season; finished 11-7 in the Big East.

Without the run to the BET championship game and deep run in the NCAA tournament I think last season would have been remembered as a near epic collapse.

But last season shows that the train can be pretty far off the tracks very close to the station and still get back on track in time.

We are talking a minimum accomplishment after a 25-0 start.

At least one of:

1) A conference regular season title
2) A conference tournament title

and, as orange79 put, it, "living up to our seed" in the Big Dance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom