What is your ideal % of carries breakdown this upcoming season... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What is your ideal % of carries breakdown this upcoming season...

If it's all the same I'd prefer to be able to get in with 5 OL and 1 or 2 TE. The tank package was somewhat effective but it wasn't like we steam rolled teams with it. We still got stuffed a few times or took more than 1 attempt to get into the endzone when we did.
That's fine. I'd prefer that too, but that doesn't make it a gimmick. Was it a gimmick back in the late '80's and early '90's when we'd line up in the wishbone with two TE's and three running backs on the goalline?

That's fine. I'd prefer that too, but that doesn't make it a gimmick. Was it a gimmick back in the late '80's and early '90's when we'd line up in the wishbone with two TE's and three running backs on the goalline?

By todays standards it would be but I would love to see that in place of the tank package. I grew up watching us run the triple option and still wish we would see that on occasion.

So, I prefer to think of it in terms of raw numbers vs percentages, because pace of the offense matters. For example, last season our top four backs (re: not Nassib) totalled 451 carries. In the 2011 season, the top 4 tallied 307.
I prefer raw numbers because percentages sound nice but don't reflect what an actual game would look like. Assuming we run a little more due to the QB situation, I'd put a high end at 504 carries (for easy math0 over the season and keep the 300 from 2011 as a low. For 12 games, that means we'd run between 25 and 40 times per game:

Smith - 45% = 11-19 carries per game
PTG - 25% = 6-11 carries
Morris - 12% = 3-5 carries (basically one series worth)
AAM - 10% = 3-4 carries (short yardage)
Broyld - 8% = 2-3 carries (I'm projecting him as our new end around guy)