What makes him such as great coach? | Syracusefan.com

What makes him such as great coach?

MCuse44

Walk On
He seems like a nice guy but I don't get why people are freaking out.

He's whiffed on every major recruiting battle.
He's a career .500 win percentage. Never really beating anyone great.

Odds are hes going to be 5-7 next year or worse. New QB, no new WR's and holes on defense. And in the ACC to boot.

I think this is more of him knowing when to hold and when to fold them. Give the guy credit he maxed out his experience.

Stability
Knowing that with support from both donors/BoT, he would do his best to make our university a nationally recognized program.
A guy that emphasizes life skills in addition to winning games of football.

Odds are hes going to be 5-7 next year or worse. New QB, no new WR's and holes on defense. And in the ACC to boot.

I think this is more of him knowing when to hold and when to fold them. Give the guy credit he maxed out his experience.

Every team in the country has holes to fill every year. You obviously haven't been paying attention if you think there aren't WR's on the roster.

Stablity with a successful coach is ALWAYS preferrable to replacing that coach.

I mean this in the best possible way. Were you paying attention to SU football starting from about 1999?

Odds are hes going to be 5-7 next year or worse.

I would take that bet. Beyond wins and losses, what he has accomplished at SU is obvious.

To me it's not about DM leaving or not. It's about the commitment and future commitment of SU to the FB program.
Yeah, there's something to that.

I have been open about my criticisms of Marrone, but I think he has improved significantly as a coach and now has the systems in place to be more successful than he has been so far. The biggest reason for optimism is that he does seem to be able to change according to what he has learned.

People that can learn usually become progressively more successful.

The NFL doesn't come sniffing around for no reason. Marrone has a good NFL background, both coaching and playing, and has some NFL guys with some clout backing his name (Parcells, Payton).

He knows the pro-style spread offense, which is only becoming more popular in the NFL.

He is a stand-up guy that will handle himself and an NFL organization with class.

As for recruiting, Doug isn't trying to sell the same kind of product most FBS coaches try to sell. Doug puts an emphasis on developing the man, not just the athlete. That doesn't sound "sexy" to 18 year olds. Also, there are many factors outside of Marrone's ability to be a salesman (facilities, location, recent success).

Doug has the program trending in the right direction, with our upward momentum accelerating every year. Football people have noticed how far Syracuse football has come in the last four years, we should too. We went from looking for a coach to the NFL being interested in our coach.

Hope Doug stays, but he is more than qualified to be an NFL head coach.

I mean this in the best possible way. Were you paying attention to SU football starting from about 1999?

that much better than the end of the P days where we were over and under .500 in wins every other year.

Again, he started with the worst BCS team in the country and has gotten Syracuse to 2 bowls in 4 years and has had some very nice wins along the way, nobody claims the guy is perfect but he has done a nice job, built a foundation that many people feel could continue to grow into something very successful. Not that hard to understand really.

Like I said, he isn't without fault but who the F is? Jesus

Maybe because he inherited the worst BCS program in the nation, and turned them competitive in short order.

The job isn't finished, and we still have a way to go to be perennially top 25, but we are definitely on the right track--primarily due to this guy changing the losing culture of our football program.

Perspective is a good thing.

Another person who only looks at scoreboard and record to make an evaluation. Marrone is a great coach, and I mean GREAT coach. Why are so many NFL teams talking about him if he's not great? Why were they thinking about him before he even came here? Why does Sean Payton and Bill Parcels endorse him?

Don't just look at his record. Look at his most recent record. Look at his record in the past 10 games. If anyone doesn't think this year's Pinstripe bowl team isn't far better than 2010's Pinstripe bowl team, it's not worth discussing. Marrone's last year coaching this team (so far) is the best year.

Can't recruit? What the...? Marrone took an unheralded group of seniors and made people feel that he won't be able to recruit better than them. He took Grob's offense and made it top 25 in the nation in 4 years. He took.a joke of a program and won 2 bowl games in 4 years. He graduated a first rounder last year. What the ...?

This program IS Marrone. We are back to the dark ages without him. The New York City ties won't be as strong, the game planning and assistant coaches all go down the toilet. Marrone built this program in 4 years and it will all go down in one.

This program IS Marrone. We are back to the dark ages without him. The New York City ties won't be as strong, the game planning and assistant coaches all go down the toilet. Marrone built this program in 4 years and it will all go down in one.
The NYS HS football angle is an important one. Marrone, as a NYC guy and an SU alum, sees the potential in NYS HS football, especially down in the city. He is an advocate for the state, for its football players, and if he were to stay here long-term I have no doubt that he would cultivate HS football throughout the state, and put us on a much stronger footing as a program. What short-term mercenary is going to do that?

Another person who only looks at scoreboard and record to make an evaluation. Marrone is a great coach, and I mean GREAT coach. Why are so many NFL teams talking about him if he's not great? Why were they thinking about him before he even came here? Why does Sean Payton and Bill Parcels endorse him?

Don't just look at his record. Look at his most recent record. Look at his record in the past 10 games. If anyone doesn't think this year's Pinstripe bowl team isn't far better than 2010's Pinstripe bowl team, it's not worth discussing. Marrone's last year coaching this team (so far) is the best year.

Can't recruit? What the...? Marrone took an unheralded group of seniors and made people feel that he won't be able to recruit better than them. He took Grob's offense and made it top 25 in the nation in 4 years. He took.a joke of a program and won 2 bowl games in 4 years. He graduated a first rounder last year. What the ...?

That's over the top. There's a lot of ways to advance the program from here. The fact is that Marrone was probably the best guy to take on the program in the state it was four years ago.

It's not the same program, and that's a credit to him. I figured we would be dealing with this in another two or three years, but it is what it is.

Wailing and gnashing is getting out of hand, the guy isn't irreplacable, is it a set back, sure, but it's not the end of the world.

that much better than the end of the P days where we were over and under .500 in wins every other year.
look at how many signature wins and how many What loses we have under Doug and compare the number to which ever period you want to compare. no body can guarantee all wins. but better prepared teams tend to win more often when they are under dogs and lose less when they are favored. it is well documented that Doug want to do the job the right way instead of doing any thing possible to lure top recruits. such approach tend to pay off in the long run. giving the trend of drafted plays in the past few years, I actually do not worry about the recruit no matter how the ranking says.

That's over the top. There's a lot of ways to advance the program from here. The fact is that Marrone was probably the best guy to take on the program in the state it was four years ago.

It's not the same program, and that's a credit to him. I figured we would be dealing with this in another two or three years, but it is what it is.

Wailing and gnashing is getting out of hand, the guy isn't irreplacable, is it a set back, sure, but it's not the end of the world.

I'm not exaggerating. Who else is Syracuse going to get that will be as strong of a coach as he is? Not even Nick Saban or Les Miles could have turned around the program the way that Marrone has. I'm dead serious. I'm not exaggerating. Alabama and LSU get away with what they get away with because they recruit anyone they want ...because they are a "selector" school.

Honestly, again I'm not exaggerating, the only person who I feel is on the level of Marrone at the BCS level is Brian Kelly and maybe, maybe, Bill Snyder. You put Saban and Miles in the situation that Marrone inherited, they would be outside. their. minds. Gone in a year but probably would never take the job to begin with. It'd be way more than a "set-back" to lose Marrone.

I'm not exaggerating. Who else is Syracuse going to get that will be as strong of a coach as he is? Not even Nick Saban or Les Miles could have turned around the program the way that Marrone has. I'm dead serious. I'm not exaggerating. Alabama and LSU get away with what they get away with because they recruit anyone they want ...because they are a "selector" school.

Honestly, again I'm not exaggerating, the only person who I feel is on the level of Marrone at the BCS level is Brian Kelly and maybe, maybe, Bill Snyder. You put Saban and Miles in the situation that Marrone inherited, they would be outside. their. minds. Gone in a year but probably would never take the job to begin with. It'd be way more than a "set-back" to lose Marrone.
yeah, you are exaggerating.

Stop bashing the guy.

Relax, take a deep breath and realize who this is from.

The guy has done a great job, but if he moves on the world won't end.

He's whiffed on every major recruiting battle. Really? Interesting. He lost out on JJ & Ishaq. See below.

He's a career .500 win percentage. Never really beating anyone great. He took over a program that would've been beat by Auburn HS' JV team. 25ish players left the program because DM had the courtesy to tell them they wouldn't be playing or he wouldn't be putting up with their antics. He just beat WVU for a 3rd year in a row (waxed them 2 years in a row and beat the out of the current #1 rated QB on draft boards). Waxed #9 LVille this year. Shall I continue?

Odds are hes going to be 5-7 next year or worse. New QB, no new WR's and holes on defense. And in the ACC to boot. Nice to see you are bullish next year. I have no idea where we will end up, but I think we should be at least 6-6 with a new QB and a loaded stable of young, talented WRs. On D, we lose Goggins, ShamWow and Diabate. We have great depth at CB, S and DL. MLB is the biggest ? mark and that will be filled by Spruill. Thanks for doing your research.

This entire post is a FAIL.

As far as recruiting from above... with the facilities (or lack thereof) that DM has to try and sell to recruits, it's like selling a DOS program to a new software company. It's a ing joke.

FAIL of the year nomination.

I'm breathing :) but I do strongly feel this way and I think this program will be hurt more than many people realize should Marrone decide to go. I mean, how many times have college football analysts said that building a winner in college football is one of the toughest jobs to do? Marrone did it. Not many like him.

Still breathing :)

You took a somewhat ridiculous thread and pushed it over the top into total ridiculosity!

C0ngrats!

:D

That's it. Now I'm convinced he's gone.:D

You took a somewhat ridiculous thread and pushed it over the top into total ridiculosity!

C0ngrats!

:D

Ugh. I'm just about done defending myself here. If Marrone goes, we'll see who is right 2 years down the road. Just because I used big coaching names doesn't make it ridiculous. The points are valid. Look at what Brian Kelly did for Cinci and look what Bill Snyder did for Kansas State. Took after thought programs and made them contenders. Those are true coaches.

Saban and Miles get it done with what they got.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom