What makes the Dome best venue in country? | Syracusefan.com

What makes the Dome best venue in country?

Usually when analysts talk about venues the Dome is about 4th or 5th or even lower. Duke, Kansas, Butler and a few others pop up ahead of us. Don't know why myself, could be the noise from the student section I guess or how close the students are to the court.

Usually when analysts talk about venues the Dome is about 4th or 5th or even lower. Duke, Kansas, Butler and a few others pop up ahead of us. Don't know why myself, could be the noise from the student section I guess or how close the students are to the court.
Right. Duke holds 9291. That's nothing. Couldn't even imagine Syracuse maintaining almost 50 years of winning if still playing at Manley.

Overall there’s probably a decent amount of places better, but for a big game I have a hard time imagining that there’s anywhere better.

For a 15,000+ seat arena there are certainly arenas that would create better atmospheres, if the attendance was capped.

But these arenas don't give the opportunity for 30,000+ fans to show up for a game.

It's a trade-off and a positive one... at least we are unique and recognizable.

Butler?

Reactions: cto
Phog Allen is ridiculously uncomfortable. 15k crammed into a bowl that if built today would accommodate 8k max. I’m surprised everyone doesn’t just stand the entire game it’s so bad. Idk why they ripped seats out of Rupp that place is big the room itself is the only arena (other than the Dome) bigger than an NBA arena. Thanks for handing us the attendance crown every year I guess.

Also Cameron I don’t think actually seats 9200 I’d bet money that if you counted seats it’s a thousand less they just lie and picked a number that looks good.

Butler?
I think it is Butler that they usually highlight. Maybe I have it wrong, but they refer to an "old barn like" arena so perhaps it was another school. This is Hinkle Fieldhouse

hinkle.jpg

Phog Allen is ridiculously uncomfortable. 15k crammed into a bowl that if built today would accommodate 8k max. I’m surprised everyone doesn’t just stand the entire game it’s so bad. Idk why they ripped seats out of Rupp that place is big the room itself is the only arena (other than the Dome) bigger than an NBA arena. Thanks for handing us the attendance crown every year I guess.
Having been at Allen Fieldhouse more than once, I'd argue that it is one of the best venues for a basketball game.
While it doesn't have the capacity of the Dome for a big game, what it does offer is the intensity of the fans in it's basket shaped venue.

The Dome is awesome for a big game w/ 25K+ fans. Can't beat it. It's pretty lacking for a typical game however IMO.

The Dome backcourt is a huge wasted opportunity. It should be one of the top 2 or 3 reasons to attend an SU game and it's a complete afterthought. It should be a festival atmosphere back there before the games. I went with my kids for the Ga Tech game and all they have is corn-hole and a line a mile long if you want your kid to shoot a few hoops. My 6-year-old loved cornhole, but I don't think bystanders were amused when they kept getting hit by bean bags.

I digress. Why not have a more spruced up beer garden in one section with local bands playing... and a kids section on the other side? Bouncy houses and a giant ferris wheel. The university could buy the equipment from a midway operator and easily recoup those costs throughout the year. I'm sure others here can point out other ideas as well.

Dome with blue curtain - 10

Dome without blue curtain - 9.5
Hopefully with the new video board there will be no reason to see the other half of the stadium. I'm gonna PM Wildhack.

The Dome backcourt is a huge wasted opportunity. It should be one of the top 2 or 3 reasons to attend an SU game and it's a complete afterthought. It should be a festival atmosphere back there before the games. I went with my kids for the Ga Tech game and all they have is corn-hole and a line a mile long if you want your kid to shoot a few hoops. My 6-year-old loved cornhole, but I don't think bystanders were amused when they kept getting hit by bean bags.

I digress. Why not have a more spruced up beer garden in one section with local bands playing... and a kids section on the other side? Bouncy houses and a giant ferris wheel. The university could buy the equipment from a midway operator and easily recoup those costs throughout the year. I'm sure others here can point out other ideas as well.
You are thinking outside the box. I like it!

There is nothing like the frenzy of a Dome crowd! But the Dome itself is pretty uncomfortable and the women need twice the bathrooms as men. I look forward to seeing what the new Dome will be like. Having a Jumbotron will be awesome! (We are getting a Jumbotron, right?) The back space is hugely wasted, I agree. We could have all kinds of midway games back there, and they should do it for cheap, too. It’s not there to make a profit, but to enhance the fan experience.

The back space is hugely wasted, I agree. We could have all kinds of midway games back there, and they should do it for cheap, too. It’s not there to make a profit, but to enhance the fan experience.
Excellent suggestion. SU students or frats and sororities could volunteer to man the booths and compete to see who generates the most traffic or revenue. It would be a big step up from the typical carny folk.

Many of you may not know that the backcourt used to be a major event. Local bands on a stage for every big East game. Tables and chairs set up as far as the eye could see to eat pre-game. We used to do what you’re clamoring for.
Then what happened?

biggest on campus arena
serve beer
large student section
huge crowds
history of players
traditions standing before first bucket
Knowledge fans
dime foams
When we have good teams only until then its only good not the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom