What matters? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What matters?

Is the NCAA Tournament the only thing that matters in college basketball?

• Yes, eveyrthing else is meaningless

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • No, other things matter as well

Votes: 22 75.9%

• Total voters
One could argue the exact opposite position. That is, it may be harder to win the BE tournament than it is to win the NCAA.

For example, if you are the likes of UConn, Pitt and Nova this year, you had to win 5 games in a row against all top teams to win the BET.

Compare that to SU in the NCAA's this year and if we get the expected #1 seed, our first two games will be against cup cakes (nice warm-up games) and we will have to win only four games in row against tough competition.

Looking back at 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007 and 2006 - only in two of those years (2007, 2008) - was a Top 3 ranked team in the nation not from the BE conference when the BET began. In fact in 2006 and 2001, two of the Top 3 ranked teams in the nation were from the BE when the BET began. It is unlikely any team in the NCAA tournament meets that level of competition to win the Big Dance.

Count me in the 0.2% also. The conference tourney is a great fun experience as those who have attended in a year we won well know. I was at MSG in '92 when SU beat GTown with Alonzo, 2005, and 2006 for GMac's miracle run. All were great fun experiences that provide great memories. When we flamed out in the NCAA those years I always felt at least we had the fun of the BET championship.

all i know is if we dont make the final 4 this year nobody will take us seriously. we could be 34-0 next year heading into the tourny and everyone will say "who cares, cuse will flame out in the tourny like they do every year." we need to change the perception of this team as tourny failures, and the only way to do that is to make a final 4, especially with a 1 seed. this is a huge tournament for this program, put up or shut up!

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk
Exactly, we have accomplished everything else

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Is the reason we are in the market for so many top recruits because we won the national championship back in 2003 or is the reason because SU has been so successful in the regular season over the past 40 years?

I think being a winning team repeatedly is what brings recruits more than anything. Only a handful of teams are considered overachievers in the tourney. Off the top of my head I'd say Michigan St, Duke, UCLA, Uconn. I'm sure there are others but not many. Success can't be measured in number of titles only.
A winning team gets good recruits, carmelo and national championship gets great recruits

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom