What PGs are ahead of Ennis in Draft? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What PGs are ahead of Ennis in Draft?

NBAdraft.net is one of the most poorly informed sites on the internet. I wouldn't put much stock into their projections.
I agree. Where is Nick Johnson rated?

NBAdraft.net is one of the most poorly informed sites on the internet. I wouldn't put much stock into their projections.

Im not putting stock into it but i am addressing the op's question. Those are the pg prospects in the draft.

If you read around you'll find that the only people who don't think Ennis is a mid-lottery pick are some Syracuse fans.

draftexpress is still fairly reputable and they have him at #14.

What's with all the Ennis hate? Sheesh...this fan base falls out of love in a hurry.

Tyler has that "IT" factor. The game just seems to slow down for him. Rarely out of control. His shot will come along IMO. Ennis is going to be a baller. Definite top 10 pick...my guess is 6-9 range.
I think the negative opinions of him are because his greatest assets are one's you can't measure. His floor game, and IQ are top notch. And GM's have said they value that a lot. But all this back and forth has me wanting to see him on an NBA court asap. Ok Tyler, time to eat!

If you read around you'll find that the only people who don't think Ennis is a mid-lottery pick are some Syracuse fans.

I googled NBA draft compilation, and come up with this. http://www.dcprosportsreport.com/NBAMocks.htm. While some are just personal opinion and sites that are not dialed in, it is clear that it is not just Syracuse fans that think Ennis may not be a mid-lotto pick. I have 4 of the 14 as thinking Ennis is mid-lotto, 5 thinking he is late-lotto, and 5 thinking he is outside of the lotto.

LA Times - #8
NBA Draft Room - #6
NBA Draft Net (User Consensus) - #18
The NFL Report - #21
Draft Express - #14
Pick and Pop - #10
The Football Spot - #18
We Talk Fantasy Sports - #15
NBA Draft Net - #18
Walter Football - #12
Sports Bank - #12
My NBA Draft - #10
NBA Draft Insider - #12
Standing O Sports - #12

14 Rankings
Range 6-21
Lotto 9
Non-Lotto 5
Median 12
Average 13

And why again is he projected to go so high in the draft? I really don't understand the NBA talent evaluation process.

If they could, they'd be drafting kids right out of middle school.

NBA guys aren't writing those mock drafts, it's clowns like Chad Ford and the dumbasses who run sites like NBAdraft.net.

If Anderson projects as a PG in the NBA, I'd probably take him over Ennis. 6'9" PGs don't come around all the time.

There are people who do this for a living who don't think Ennis is a lock to go in the lottery.

It's really interesting, because generally if you have a player like Ennis that people don't really understand why he's as high of a draft prospect as he is, it's generally a case of a raw athletic player that hasn't quite figured it out yet. Ennis is more a low-ceiling finished product kinda guy but he's somehow stuck himself in the lottery discussion. If he had stayed another year, I think there's a very good chance he slips to the 25+ range.

It'll be interesting to see what GMs think of him when the combine and workouts roll around. Personally, I think the PG position can be broken into tiers this year like this:

Tier 1: Exum

Tier 2: Smart

Tier 3: Ennis, Payton, Micic, Shabazz

Tier 4: Burton, Russ Smith, Carson, Craft, etc.

the difference between Ennis and guys like Smart, Anderson, Lavine, and Exum is that he is a true point who has actually run a team.

the hope is that those other guys can be molded into point guards; Tyler is an NBA-level point guard right now. At a minimum, he'll be a solid backup PG for the duration of his rookie deal, which makes him a relatively sure thing - good, cheap labor at an in-demand position. For some teams, that's as good as it gets in the back half of the lottery.

the difference between Ennis and guys like Smart, Anderson, Lavine, and Exum is that he is a true point who has actually run a team.

the hope is that those other guys can be molded into point guards; Tyler is an NBA-level point guard right now. At a minimum, he'll be a solid backup PG for the duration of his rookie deal, which makes him a relatively sure thing - good, cheap labor at an in-demand position. For some teams, that's as good as it gets in the back half of the lottery.
Good to see you back, moqui.
Disclaimer: my NBA iq is quite low. That said, would teams really waste a lotto pick on a backup PG - that is, knowing that he'll only amount to a backup?

Good to see you back, moqui.
Disclaimer: my NBA iq is quite low. That said, would teams really waste a lotto pick on a backup PG - that is, knowing that he'll only amount to a backup?
well, that's his floor, not his ceiling. But as an example, last year, the Blazers took CJ McCollum one spot ahead of MCW knowing full well he was going to be a backup to Damian Lillard & Wes Matthews

My opinion on the whole Ennis backup thing is:

1. I personally think he ends up being a backup PG... a guy that can fill in for stretches like this year's Shaun Livingston.
2. I think NBA teams tend to value spark plug guys off the bench (which I could see Shabazz, Carson, etc.) being moreso than a guy that simply comes off the bench and can manage the game. When you come off the bench, you're generally playing with guys that can't really score, so being able to set up the offense isn't really all that helpful.

But yeah, I see him peaking as a low-level starter or solid backup PG. I wouldn't take him in the top 20 personally, especially when guys like Shabazz, Carson, Micic, and Burton can be had in the 2nd round. I'd go for guys like Stauskas, Harris, Hairston, Harrell, or Grant over him and just pick up one of the aforementioned PGs in the 2nd round.

It's too bad. All the teams I think really make sense for him pick in the 25+ range. But I think he could be a valuable guy if one of those teams trade up for him.

As of today, I believe they have the 20th pick.
As per Jake's post in another thread stating that Toronto has promised to take TE with their pick if he's still available - could he fall to 20?

As per Jake's post in another thread stating that Toronto has promised to take TE with their pick if he's still available - could he fall to 20?

If he thought that was possible, would he stay in the draft?

If the Harrison twins declare, do they possibly go ahead of Ennis? I don't think it's far fetched they would.

two3zone said:
If the Harrison twins declare, do they possibly go ahead of Ennis? I don't think it's far fetched they would.

Yes and no.

If he thought that was possible, would he stay in the draft?

It that Toronto story is true, Ennis figures he's got a backstop in Toronto if he falls that far.

Only way I could see it is if they murder in their workouts. Aaron isn't a PG anyways. Andrew is a borderline PG, but he just isn't very good.