What players should have their jersey honored next? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

What players should have their jersey honored next?

Sure, it's a given that these are just opinions. The "necessary" was meant to refer to McNamara's 2,000-whatever, rather than statistics themselves, because many of the players already honored didn't accumulate (or score or earn) as many points. It's my opinion that one doesn't need X number of career points and doesn't need to be ranked in the top Y of any statistical category to be included. And Sidat-Singh shows that stats really aren't necessary.

I agree that there's an intangible that seems to be the strongest argument for McNamara's inclusion. Though obviously the gross point and assist totals and associated rankings play a role, too, as does his championship ring.

Sidat-Singh is an extremely unique outlier based on his heroic World War 2 efforts.

Every possible box that needs to be checked as to whether a modern college basketball player is worthy of having their jersey retired, GMac meets the criteria. He meets the objective criteria (Top 5 in multiple major statistical categories), and he meets the subjective criteria (he is responsible for so, so many memorable moments that we're all going to tell our kids and grandkids about).

If you hang that up in the rafters, you’re going to need some GW Bridge-like wiring.

I agree that there's an intangible that seems to be the strongest argument for McNamara's inclusion. Though obviously the gross point and assist totals and associated rankings play a role, too, as does his championship ring.

Agree with this.

The intangibles and the ring, and the role he played in getting the ring, are what separates him from other SU players with similar stats.

IMHO, they do. Give me a guy who comes up big in the biggest moments on the biggest stage vs a guy who has great stats but fades to black when the game is on the line...

Jeter > ARod
One of my favorite tee shirts:
ARod
Mr. April
Miss October

I agree with Wallace.
Then GMac. Four years, great accomplishments, and with all those busses from Scranton every game, think of all the concessions he sold just for being him!!

Most of the 1980’s players who are worthy are up.
Moten brings a 90s player up there.
Melo is the lone 00s player.

Player Uniform #
Rony Seikaly #4
Vic Hanson #8
Carmelo Anthony #15
Billy Gabor #17
Wilmeth Sidat-Singh #19
Sherm Douglas #20
Lawrence Moten #21
Dave Bing #22
Dennis DuVal #22
Billy Owens #30
Pearl Washington #31
Derrick Coleman #44
Roosevelt Bouie #50
Louis Orr #55

Who should be next in the future?
John Wallace? Hakim Warrick? GMac?
Wallace, Warrick and GMac in that order. You could make a solid case for honoring Rudy Hackett and Jim Lee.

Jim Lee. Sadly, if you were playing before Jb was head coach, you get forgotten. Jim Lee hit one of the biggest shots in Syracuse hoop history. He was a terrific player for us.
I don’t know about that Dash. JB was Rudy and Jim’s assistant coach. So it wasn’t before his time. And we honored Dennis Duvall in January.

I love all the guys you listed but I think you’re watering down the significance of having a jersey retired by widening the net that much.
You’re lacking perspective on this. Mike Waters did an article on this that showed SU generally lagged way behind other peer schools in numbers of jerseys retired. Schools like UNC, Duke, Ku and Uk have way more jerseys retired. UNC has 43 jerseys honored, KU has 32. Syracuse got started on this late and then lagged behind for years, after they initially retired Pearl and Bing’s jerseys. After Wallace, Hak, Gmac and Rudy Hackett, then it’s a little more up for debate. But I think some of the suggestions like Raf, Etan, Stevie Thompson and Schayes could eventually end up happening.

Last edited:
GMAC's ability to shine brightest on the biggest stage is,
no stage is bigger in college basketball than the ncaa tournament. in his junior and senior seasons, when he was an undisputed star & team leader, he went 4/24 from the field and 1/12 from three in losses to a 13 and a 12 seed

he was a high usage player who collected a lot of volume stats. he is well remembered because he occasionally came up big . . . but a true assessment would remember that, just as often, he came up small

as always: i never say he was bad. just that he is overrated. not sure he's a top 5 guard just in the zone (post 1996) era

Every time this comes up I wonder why Rudy Hackett's name never gets mentioned. He averaged 22 and 13 while leading SU to a final 4. Those numbers are better than Camelo's.

I'm not old enough to have seen him play. Is there some reason why he wasn't one of the first honored? Makes no sense to me.
Hackett should be the next number raised.

You’re lacking perspective on this. Mike Waters did an article on this a year or so ago that showed SU generally lagged way behind other peer schools in numbers of jerseys retired. Schools like UNC, Duke, Ku and Uk have way more jerseys retired. UNC has 43 jerseys honored, KU has 32. Syracuse got started on this late and then lagged behind for years, after they initially retired Pearl and Bing’s jerseys. After Wallace, Hak, Gmac and Rudy Hackett, then it’s a little more up for debate. But I think some of the suggestions like Raf, Etan, Stevie Thompson and Schayes could eventually end up happening.

If those schools jumped off a bridge, I wouldn’t also jump off a bridge.

Duke currently has 13 retired jerseys and we have 11. When we inevitably do Wallace, Hak and GMac we will be right there with them. I personally think retiring 43 jerseys is WAY too many.

Danny Schayes was a bench player his first three seasons, and averaged 15 and 8 as a senior. A nice player and nice person but nothing about him was an SU legend.

Also, I said in prior post in this thread that SU players from the 70s and early 80s don’t seem to get enough respect.

You’re lacking perspective on this. Mike Waters did an article on this that showed SU generally lagged way behind other peer schools in numbers of jerseys retired. Schools like UNC, Duke, Ku and Uk have way more jerseys retired. UNC has 43 jerseys honored, KU has 32. Syracuse got started on this late and then lagged behind for years, after they initially retired Pearl and Bing’s jerseys. After Wallace, Hak, Gmac and Rudy Hackett, then it’s a little more up for debate. But I think some of the suggestions like Raf, Etan, Stevie Thompson and Schayes could eventually end up happening.
If you're going to open the door that wide, then you have to look at guys like Bill Smith, the Lee brothers, Erich Santifer, Marty Byrnes, Dale Shackleford and Leo Rautins from the 70s and 80s, as well as numerous others who followed. I'm not opposed to that, as I don't believe this honor should be limited to only a handful of players in a program with as rich a history as ours.

Last edited:
If those schools jumped off a bridge, I wouldn’t also jump off a bridge.

Duke currently has 13 retired jerseys and we have 11. When we inevitably do Wallace, Hak and GMac we will be right there with them. I personally think retiring 43 jerseys is WAY too many.

Danny Schayes was a bench player his first three seasons, and averaged 15 and 8 as a senior. A nice player and nice person but nothing about him was an SU legend.

Also, I said in prior post in this thread that SU players from the 70s and early 80s don’t seem to get enough respect.
That’s why I said players like Schayes, Etan, Thompson, etc, are more open for debate. I think Wallace, Warrick, Gmac, and Hackett are pretty clear. After that, it’s much less clear. As for people arguing against Gmac, the only opinion that matters is JB’s (he makes this decision) and I firmly believe he thinks Gmac deserves it.

no stage is bigger in college basketball than the ncaa tournament. in his junior and senior seasons, when he was an undisputed star & team leader, he went 4/24 from the field and 1/12 from three in losses to a 13 and a 12 seed

he was a high usage player who collected a lot of volume stats. he is well remembered because he occasionally came up big . . . but a true assessment would remember that, just as often, he came up small

as always: i never say he was bad. just that he is overrated. not sure he's a top 5 guard just in the zone (post 1996) era
In one of those years you cite, he was hurt. This was after he single handed got us in the tournament by winning us the Big East tournament.

I don’t know about that Dash. JB was Rudy and Jim’s assistant coach. So it wasn’t before his time. And we honored Dennis Duvall in January.
That makes my point. It took how long to get Dennis Duval?

In one of those years you cite, he was hurt. This was after he single handed got us in the tournament by winning us the Big East tournament.
It’s funny how all the 1 time GMac teenage fanboys, now have a different opinion of him in their 30s.

I routinely crushed him as a player, but if asked in May 2006 if he should get his jersey retired, my answer would’ve been...yes, no question.

And that remains my answer now.

I will go with Joe Schwartzer. He was a two time All American and was the captain and leader of the 1917-18 national championship team. It is unfortunate there was no ceremony honoring that team on their 100th anniversary. At least I don't think there was one. Syracuse has a great basketball history and we should remember and celebrate great players and teams from the past. I hope we do a better job remembering Vic and the 1925-26 team when their 100th anniversary comes.

Then John Wallace, in part because of his play on the court, in part for staying with the program when his presence was desperately needed.

Further down the road, I think GMac and Hak are deserving.

Everybody’s missed the easy and obvious choice - Chip & Millhouse are up next in a bizarro Louis & Bouie coupling.

Hang a candelabra from the ceiling with what number?? 69, obviously.

Wildhack, get it done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom