What program mirrors ours most | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What program mirrors ours most

I agree with the inputs of Arizona and Mich St. To take this one step further, Arizona seems to be more like us when it comes to "media exposure", or lack thereof. Not to discredit Mich St, but they get media exposure that resembles Duke and Kentucky.

U of A lost to Kemba and gave Uconn that postseason boost, and I will never forgive that.

Maybe the worst NCAA tourney ever. The quality of play was horrible, we lost on a horrible call to a conference opponent that I hated playing, and a UConn team that borderline sucked that year won the whole thing while winning awfully played games mostly against other teams that borderline sucked and somehow advanced.

Easily the low point of NCAA basketball, in terms of quality of play. Most SU teams from my lifetime were better than that UConn team.

I'd have to go with Louisville, but things can change.

In the 80s, we compared ourselves with Georgetown; in the late 90s and through the 2000s it was UConn; now it's Louisville. Let's hope in the 10 years post Boeheim it isn't NCSU (no offense, Wolfpack)

You have to take into account how successful JB is based on the level of our recruits. I think but I can't prove but our program has overachieved based on our talent.

Should be Duke and Louisville.

Settle for nothing less.

Arizona and Louisville both great calls.

An interesting comparison might be to UVa - both are best known for its distinctive and highly effective defensive system run by its elite coach. The first thing people think of when they think of UVA is tony bennett and his pack line defense - a system that stifles opposing offenses and yet no one else in the country uses. Same for boeheim and his active 2-3 zone. similarities largely stop there, though, particularly given how different each offensive system is from each other, and especially each programs history of success .

Last edited:
Arizona

1 Title, 1 runner-up, 4 FF appearances, 33 NCAA appearances.

Quite similar

Was going to say this.

Believe we get better results with less.

Believe they get worse results with more.

When it comes to player personnel.

Anybody that says Duke is off their rocker.

We have an amazing program, but think about it.

Anybody that says Duke is off their rocker.

We have an amazing program, but think about it.

Other than having long time hall of fame coaches, yeah. I don't see it. 5 titles, lately they recruit on a different level, completely different style of play, usually we recruit different types of kids though they have switched it up recently, arenas are opposites, etc. We have little in common with them.

We've played some memorable games against them already with 3 controversial endings, so it's a great rivalry in the making. But we're not alike.

Arizona, Louisville, Michigan State are all good answers.

But imagine what the answer to this question might be if JB had headed down the road to take the U of R job...

Arizona, Louisville, Michigan State are all good answers.

But imagine what the answer to this question might be if JB had headed down the road to take the U of R job...

The Kodak Dome?

Yeah, thst
Duke, except we don't launch top 10 recruits. We do more with less. And yes, I know that Duke historically has more titles and yada yada yada, but I'm talking about right now. Both hated, great coaches, great fan bases, same conference, you name it. At first I was thinking UNC, but they keep guys 3-4 years, we have moved past that stage.
If only Coleman, Mike G, Cooney, and Roberson hadn't left early.

I was going to say Arizona as well, especially when Lute was the long time coach there. They own their city. They don't compete with any professional sports. They are consistently good. The only big difference is that it is a public vs private college. Oh, and the weather.

Also came to national prominence around the same time with a coach who was/is there forever. Had a national rep. as tournament chokers before breaking through to win their one title.