What Really Matters This Year | Syracusefan.com

What Really Matters This Year

OrangeinBoston

All Conference
The record doesn't matter - big coaching transition, too many injuries, not enough depth, been hashed over ad nauseam. Can't deny the improvement in the offense -very encouraging. But, the defensive shortcomings are certainly troubling. Some questions do remain.

IMHO, what really matters is recruiting. Right now, SU is mired at #48 (Rutgers, who we love to dump on, comes in at #32). Hopefully, they will hit the JUCO ranks hard between now and February.

fball.PNG

The record doesn't matter - big coaching transition, too many injuries, not enough depth, been hashed over ad nauseam. Can't deny the improvement in the offense -very encouraging. But, the defensive shortcomings are certainly troubling. Some questions do remain.

IMHO, what really matters is recruiting. Right now, SU is mired at #48 (Rutgers, who we love to dump on, comes in at #32). Hopefully, they will hit the JUCO ranks hard between now and February.

All their classes have been higher than ours the past few years. Look at where that got them... Hint hint. Photobucket burning couch

Last edited:
All there classes have been higher than ours the past few years. Look at where that got them... Hint hint. Photobucket burning couch
So have Clemson's, Louisville's and, for that matter, Alabama's - and look where it got them. Look, I'm all in on Babers. With better players, he'll succeed. But we need better players, and #48 ain't cutting it.

So have Clemson's, Louisville's and, for that matter, Alabama's - and look where it got them. Look, I'm all in on Babers. With better players, he'll succeed. But we need better players, and #48 ain't cutting it.

The difference between those teams' recruits and Rutgers are significant. I agree 100% that better recruits are needed. The comparison to Rutgers class doesn't prove your point.

Just being at #48 is an improvement. This program has not been in the Top 50 much in recent years. If the program can start consistently cracking the Top 40 in the upcoming years, that will be huge progress.

The difference between those teams' recruits and Rutgers are significant. I agree 100% that better recruits are needed. The comparison to Rutgers class doesn't prove your point.
It does suggest that we should do better.

So, we agree. There are I think 7 slots left. In a perfect world (I know recruiting JUCOs can be a crap shoot), I would go 2 OL, 2 DL, 2 DB and another Amba.

A class full of players with Eric Dungey's would be a boon to the program. But according to the rankings, it would have been about 50th best in the country.

Players are being compared on a national level to other players. That's not an indicator of how they'll develop, their football intelligence, their fit into a system, how quickly they will adapt to college environment/speed/style, level of commitment, or raw athleticism.

All #48 is is a guess.

Also because Rutgers typically loses many of their best recruits prior to signing day anyway.

There's even a dedicated Twitter account for that very purpose.

Getting good recruits, and keeping them, are 2 entirely different things.

But yes - clearly better recruiting is needed.
And Dino and crew are doing just that.

at our apex what is the highest ranked class we've had. I know this didn't become an officially ranked system until 20 years ago or so but what would we consider the late 80s/90s classes at? I assume we never cracked a hypothetical top 15-20 at any point in the post 1980 era.

at our apex what is the highest ranked class we've had. I know this didn't become an officially ranked system until 20 years ago or so but what would we consider the late 80s/90s classes at? I assume we never cracked a hypothetical top 15-20 at any point in the post 1980 era.
I recall seeing some magazines in the mid 90s that put our McNabb/Konrad classes in the low-mid 20s. Before that, like you said, rankings generally weren't available.

I recall seeing some magazines in the mid 90s that put our McNabb/Konrad classes in the low-mid 20s. Before that, like you said, rankings generally weren't available.
I don't have my magazines any more, but I vaguely remember classes being ranked in the 30s or 40s by whatever publication it was. I know that's not very helpful.

Butch Jones was on XM this morning and some of the discussion was on how long it takes for a new coach to change a culture and install a system. he was talking about his depth issues and he is starting from a much higher talent pool. He has his 22 and is struggling with his depth.. I dont think we have much more than 10-12 spots in place. he also mentioned how people over look how the lack of depth plays out in the other aspects of the game and the practice limitations. we dont have high ranking guys now and can compete we just need the whole team to be at that level.

we had a top 25 class in 1999 as per SuperPrep or PrepStar someone like that. It was the Lou Gachelin class if I remember correctly.

The sites can really only accurately rate so many kids and usually this is the mcdonalds all american type - the no brainers. Everything else is a crap shoot. There is no way on earth they can accurately rate 1,219 three star kids and 1,372 2 star kids.

we had a top 25 class in 1999 as per SuperPrep or PrepStar someone like that. It was the Lou Gachelin class if I remember correctly.

The sites can really only accurately rate so many kids and usually this is the mcdonalds all american type - the no brainers. Everything else is a crap shoot. There is no way on earth they can accurately rate 1,219 three star kids and 1,372 2 star kids.

My memory from the 90s is we regularly had top 25 classes usually in the 20-25 range. This was from magazines like sporting news, football news, and Tom Lemming.

Just being at #48 is an improvement. This program has not been in the Top 50 much in recent years. If the program can start consistently cracking the Top 40 in the upcoming years, that will be huge progress.

We've only finished in the top 50 once in the 2000's according to two-four-seven's composite rating (in 2007 at #49).

Also just perusing the lists - it's amazing the amount of times Rutgers did and the results on the field never quite catching up. Either NJ kids are overrated or Rutgers is horrible at developing talent (my bet).

we had a top 25 class in 1999 as per SuperPrep or PrepStar someone like that. It was the Lou Gachelin class if I remember correctly./QUOTE]

And the 2002 team was the worst of the P era. So a great class does not guarantee success.

I imagine you could take a top 25 ranked recruiting class and pair it with a coach ill suited for college football and get a disastrous result. Anyone have that picture of our out of shape lineman on the sideline during Greggers first game?

The record doesn't matter - ... Can't deny the improvement in the offense -very encouraging. But, the defensive shortcomings are certainly troubling. Some questions do remain.

IMHO, what really matters is recruiting. ...

A different view of this:

If we lose out in November (we are underdogs), it does matter. No bowl game to provide any uplift in recruiting, no extra practices. Ending in a slide leaves a sour taste. It makes recruiting just a tad more difficult, than if this season ended better.

That said, once you look past these next two games, of course, recruiting to close the 2017 class and get started on the 2018 group is what matters.

A different view of this:

If we lose out in November (we are underdogs), it does matter. No bowl game to provide any uplift in recruiting, no extra practices. Ending in a slide leaves a sour taste. It makes recruiting just a tad more difficult, than if this season ended better.

That said, once you look past these next two games, of course, recruiting to close the 2017 class and get started on the 2018 group is what matters.

Yeah, winning always helps.

But with the number of players sitting at 20 (most of which bought in with no proof at all), and needing to just fill a few - there's enough proof now (namely the VaTech win and the performance of our offense) that the difference is pretty small.

This class will be the best we've had in 15 years, excluding the 2007 class which is just about the same.

Hard to judge about the quality of those 20 commits. There are a few good ones (DeVito, the RB, maybe 3 on the defensive side). Maybe the staff will improve the class & fill needs with the 5 to 7 remaining slots.

Was it "no proof" that sold those commits? Dino's pitch has been based on his success at E. Illinois & Bowling Green -- conference championships every season, 4 years in a row, big numbers passing and rushing in 2015 with his offensive system. Now, he has Etta-Tawo's numbers, the locker room video and a win over Va Tech.

Hard to judge about the quality of those 20 commits. There are a few good ones (DeVito, the RB, maybe 3 on the defensive side). Maybe the staff will improve the class & fill needs with the 5 to 7 remaining slots.
We have a few of the best WRs in the state of Florida for what we're looking to do, and some incredible athletes on both sides of the ball. Upgraded size and team speed, and added kids from high school football factories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom